« IndietroContinua »
CONDITIONS OF SALE
All bids to be PER LOT as numbered in the Catalogue.
session of the sale.
THE ANDERSON GALLERIES
TELEPHONE PLAZA 9356
CATALOGUES ON REQUEST
THE LIBRARY OF
The late George Pepperdine was an inveterate buyer of the choicest books of the best authors as they were published during the last twentyfive years. His library consists of about nine thousand volumes, and a more engaging collection of readable books in the best editions has rarely been offered for sale. The present catalogue consists chiefly of the larger works, including collected editions of American and English authors, sets of the great New English Dictionary, Encyclopædia Brittanica, The Loeb Classical Library and a large number of important works in single volumes.
With an occasional exception, which is noted in the catalogue, all the volumes are as fresh as when issued.
1. ABBEY ILLUSTRATIONS. Old Songs; Selections from the Poetry of Robert Herrick; The Quiet Life. All illustrated by Edwin A. Abbey and Alfred Parsons. 3 vols. 4to, cloth, gilt tops, uncut.
New York, 1889-90
2. ABBOTT (JOHN S. C.). The History of Napoleon Bonaparte. 4 vols.; The French Revolution of 1789. 2 vols. With nuo merous illustrations and maps. Together 6 vols. Royal 8vo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut.
New York, n.d.
3. ADAMS (JOHN QUINCY). Lectures on Rhetoric and Oratory. FIRST EDITION. 2 vols. 8vo, calf.
4. ADAMS (JOHN QUINCY). Writings. Edited by Worthington Chauncey Ford. With portraits. 7 vols. 8vo, cloth, gilt tops.
New York, 1913-17
5. ADAMS (SAMUEL). The Writings. Collected and Edited by Harry Alonzo Cushing. 4 vols. 8vo, half morocco, gilt tops, ancut (one volume not quite uniform in binding.
New York: Putnam's Sons, 1906-08 Letter-press Edition, one of 750 copies.
6. AESOP. The Fables of Aesop. Beautifully illustrated with 25 drawings in color by Edward J. Detmold. Imperial 4to, buckram, gilt, gilt top, uncut.
7. AINSWORTH (WILLIAM HARRISON). Historical Romances. With numerous etched plates on Japan paper. 20 vols. 8vo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut.
Philadelphia: Barrie, n.d.
8. AINSWORTH (WILLIAM HARRISON). The Novels. With illustrations. 20 vols. 12mo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut. London, n.d.
9. ALDRICH (THOMAS BAILEY). The Writings. Portraits and illustrations. 9 vols. 12mo, half red morocco, gilt, gilt tops, uncut.
Boston, 1907 Ponkapog Edition.
10. AMERICAN COMMONWEALTHS. Missouri by Lucien Carr; Ohio by Rufus King; Vermont by Rowland E. Robinson; Minnesota by William Watts Folwell; Connecticut by Alexander Johnson; New York by Ellis H. Roberts. 2 vols., and others. Maps. Together 19 vols. 12mo, cloth, gilt tops.
11. AMERICAN REFORMERS SERIES. Abraham Lincoln (French), John Brown and His Men (Hinton), Horace Greeley (Zabriskie), John G. Whittier (Kennedy), William Lloyd Garrison (Grimke), and others. Portraits. 12mo, cloth. New York, n.d.
12. AMERICAN STATESMEN. Edited by John T. Morse, Jr. Portraits and engraved titles, with vignettes. With the 2 vols. of the Second Series. Together 34 vols. 12mo, half morocco, gilt tops.
Boston, n.d. Standard Library Edition.
13. ANESAKI (M.). Buddhist Art in its relation to Buddhist Ideals, with special reference to Buddhism in Japan. Illustrated with 47 full page plates. 4to, boards and cloth. Boston, 1915
14. APPLETONS Cyclopædia of American Biography. Edited by James Grant Wilson and John Fiske. Numerous portraits. 6 vols. royal 8vo, half morocco.
New York, 1888-89
15. ARABIAN Night's Entertainments. Translated from the Arabic by E. W. Lane. With 100 illustrations in photogravures by Stanley Wood. 6 vols. 12mo, half brown levant morocco, gilt tops.
16. ARNOLD (MATTHEW). Works. Comprising: Poems. 3 vols.; St. Paul & Protestanism; Discourses in America; God and the Bible; Mixed Essays, Irish Essays; Essays in Criticism. 2 vols.; Literature and Dogma; Culture and Anarchy; On the Study of Celtic Literature; Letters of Matthew Arnold Collected and ar
. ranged by George W. E. Russell. 2 vols. Together 14 vols. 12mo, half brown morocco, gilt tops.
17. AUSTEN (JANE). The Novels and the Life of Jane Austen. With illustrations. 12 vols. 12mo, half calf, gilt backs, gilt tops.
18. AVERY (ELROY MCKENDREE). A History of the United States and its People from their Earliest Records to the Present Time. Numerous portrants, maps and other illustrations. 7 vols. (all published). Royal 8vo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut.
19. BACON (SIR FRANCIS). Essays and Colours of Good and Evil, with Notes and Glossarial Index. By W. Aldis Wright. 12mo, half red morocco, gilt top, by Root.
20. BACON (SIR FRANCIS). The Essayes or Counsels, Civill and Morall. 4to, full velvet calf, leather label, uncut.
London: University Press, 1906 Printed in Cambridge type, limited to 250 copies.
21. BAGEHOT (WALTER). The Works and Life. Edited by Mrs. Russell Barrington. 10 vols. 8vo, cloth, gilt. London, 1915
22. BALZAC (HONORE DE). The Novels.
The Novels. Translated by Ellen Marriage and Clara Bell. With Prefaces by George Saints bury. With illustrations. 16 vols. 8vo, cloth, gilt tops.
23. BALZAC (HONORE DE). The Works of Balzac. With Introductions by George Saintsbury. With illustrations on Japan paper. 18 vols. 8vo, half morocco, gilt tops, uncut.
New York, n.d.
24. BALZAC (HONORE DE). Droll Stories. Illustrated with 425 designs by Gustave Doré. 8vo, cloth, gilt top, uncut.
25. BALZAC (HONORE DE). La Fille aux Yeux d'Or (The Girl with the Goldon Eyes). Translated by Ernest Dowson. With 6 illustrations engraved on wood by Charles Conder. Royal 8vo, cloth, uncut.
London, 1896 26. BANCROFT (GEORGE). History of the United States of America, from the Discovery of the Continent. Portraits and illustrations. 6 vols. 8vo, half morocco, gilt tops, uncut.
New York, n.d.
27. BARING-GOULD (S.). The Tragedy of the Cæsars, a Study of the Characters of the Cæsars of the Julian and Claudian Houses. Portraits and illustrations. Royal 8vo, cloth. New York, 1907
28. BARRIE (J. M.). The Works of Barrie. Portrait and illustrations. 10 vols. 12mo, full blue limp morocco, gilt tops, in cloth
New York: Scribners, 1916 A handsome little pocket edition.
29. BIBELOT (THE). A Reprint of Poetry and Prose for Book Lovers. 21 vols. (including Index). 12mo, boards, uncut.
Portland, Me.: Thomas B. Mosher, 1895-1915
30. BIBLE. The Popular and Critical Bible Encyclopædia and Scriptural Dictionary. Edited by Samuel Fellows and others. Illustrations. 3 vols. Royal 8vo, half morocco. Chicago, 1902
31. BIELSCHOWSKY (ALBERT). The Life of Goethe. Authorised translation from the German by William A. Cooper. Portraits and illustrations. 3 vols. 8vo, large 8vo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut.
New York, 1905
32. BIBLE. The Holy Bible, containing the Old and New Testaments and the Apocrypha. Numerous proof engravings after famous artists. 14 vols. half pigskin, gilt tops, uncut.
Boston: R. H. Hinkley Co., n.d. One of 480 copies printed on Hand-made paper.
33. BOCCACCIO (M. GIOVANNI). The Decameron. With illustrations. 4 vols. 12mo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut.
34. [BOILEAU (JOHN P.).] The Borgias; or, Italy in the Fifteenth Century. An Historical Drama. Large 8vo, half leather.
London, 1845 FIRST EDITION. Very Rare. Presentation copy from John P. Boileau, who is presumed to be the author.
35. BOLINGBROKE (LORD VISCOUNT). The Philosophical Works. FIRST EDITION. 5 vols. 8vo, old calf. London, 1754