Galignani's New Paris Guide: Containing an Accurate Statistical and Historical Description of All the Institutions, Public Edifices, Curiosities, Etc

Copertina anteriore
A. and W. Galignani and Company, 1837 - 567 pagine
 

Cosa dicono le persone - Scrivi una recensione

Nessuna recensione trovata nei soliti posti.

Altre edizioni - Visualizza tutto

Parole e frasi comuni

Brani popolari

Pagina 403 - Close to this spot there is one of the entrances to the CATACOMBS. — These immense receptacles for the bones of the dead were devoted to that purpose in 1784, when the Council of State issued a decree for clearing the cemetery of the Innocents, and for removing its contents, as well as those of other cemeteries, into the quarries that had existed from a remote period beneath the southern part of Paris, and by which several streets are undermined.
Pagina 246 - Sec., for the improvement of machinery and implements connected with manufactures, agriculture, and other branches of industry. The formation of this establishment was ordained by a conventional decree in 1794...
Pagina 367 - Ihe holy water basins arc attached to richly sculptured marble pedestals, surmounted by angels. Private mass is performed here daily. Gallery of Modern Art. — In the buildings on the eastern side of the courts is the gallery for paintings, formed by order of Marie de Medicis, and at first composed of twenty-four large pictures, by Rubens, representing the allegorical history of that queen. It was afterwards augmented by several pictures which belonged lo the queen-dowager of Spain, and by others...
Pagina 278 - XVI. (1) The chapel of the cemetery is a plain Doric building, about 56 feet by 28 in length and breadth, and 56 feet in height. In front of it is an open grass plot, from whence the eye ranges over Paris. Eastward of the chapel there is a spot devoted to theatrical, musical and poetical celebrities, such as Talma, Gretry, Boieldicu, Delisle, Bellini, Rubini, &c.
Pagina 476 - SAINT CLOUD. — This small town, situated on the Seine, 2 leagues west of Paris, was so called from St. Clodoald, grandson of Clovis, who, having escaped when his brothers were murdered by their uncle Clotaire, concealed himself here in a wood, and lived as a hermit. Being canonized after his death, the former name of the place, Novigentum, was altered to its present appellation. It was burnt by the English in 1358, and again by the party of the Armagnacs in 141 1 . It was at St.
Pagina 304 - The western front is at once the finest and most remarkable feature. Three ample portals lead into the nave and aisles. They each form a series of retiring arches, with angels, saints, &c.
Pagina 475 - Pompadour, bought it of the farmers-general in 1759, and since that period it has formed part of the domains of the State. This establishment consists of three distinct parts, viz., the show rooms or marjasing, the museum, and the laboratories or ateliers.
Pagina 409 - AL (AnneLouis) are inlaid in the pavement, which here, as well as throughout the whole of the edifice, is formed of rich marbles. The chapels for the nuns are separated from the rest of the building by iron gratings, and in that behind the altar, which is a beautiful piece of architecture, a crimson curtain screened the superiors of the convent from the view of the congregation.
Pagina 217 - The portraits, to the number of 90,000, are divided in each country according to the rank or profession of the individuals, and are classed in chronological or alphabetical order. The series of the costumes of various countries and different ages cannot be viewed without interest.
Pagina 497 - Bal, situated near the foregoing, is thus called from balls formerly given there by the court in summer. —The Quinconce du Midi, near the Salle de Bal, to the northwest, is ornamented with eight termini, of which four stand round a grass-plot in the centre, and the other four beneath the chesnut trees.

Informazioni bibliografiche