« IndietroContinua »
268. RITSON (JOSEPH). A Dissertation on Romance and Minstrelsy: to which is appended the ancient metrical Romance of Ywaine and Gawin. 4to, paper, uncut.
Edinburgh: Goldsmid, 1891 Large Paper. One of only 100 copies so issued. 269. Launfal: an Ancient Metrical Romance. By Thomas Chestre. To which is appended the still older Romance of Lybeau's Disconus. Edited by J. R. 4to, paper, uncut.
Edinburgh, 1891 Large Paper. One of only 100 copies so issued. 270. ROBERTS (CHAS. G. D.) Earth's Enigmas. FIRST 12mo, buckram, uncut.
Bost. 1896 Presentation inscription from author to R. Le Gallienne in
serted, with the latter's book-label. W 271. ROBIDA (A.) Le Vingtième Siècle. La Vie Élec- v trique. Colored plates, heliogravures, and illusts, in the text by the author. Imp. 8vo, original cloth extra, gilt edges.
Paris (189-] 272. ROCKY MOUNTAINS (THE), A Lady's Life in. By Isabella L. Bird. Illusts. Post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1882 273. ROGERS (SAMUEL). Italy: a Poem. Portrait after Sir Thos. Lawrence, and numerous beautiful vignettes after Turner and Stothard. New edn. Post svo, original cloth, uncut.
Lond.: Moxon, 1854 274. RUSKIN (JOHN). Letters to M. G. and H. G. V Portrait. Post 8vo, cloth, uncut.
N. Y. 1903 275. RUSSIA. History or Anecdotes of the Revolution in Russia in 1762. From the French of M. De Rulhiere. Portrait of Catherine II. 8vo, half straight-grained morocco.
276. SAILOR LIFE on Man-of-War and Merchant Ves. V
sel [Nordhoff], illust., 1884; The Lion City of Africa [Allen], illust., 1890; and others. 4 vols. ✓ 277. SARGENT (EPES). Songs of the Sea, with other ✓ Poems. 12mo,
Bost. 1817 First edition. Fine copy. Scarce. 278. SCIENTIFIC SIDE-LIGHTS [Fernald], N. Y. 1903; The Correlation and Conservation of Forces, N. Y. 1865; The Healthy Woman (Leonard], N. Y. 1902; and others. 8 vols. • 279. SCOTT (SIR W.) Waverley, Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, The Pirate, and others of the Waverley Novels. (2 in duplicate.) Profusely illust. 13 vols. crown 8vo, original cloth.
✓ 280. SCOTT (WILLIAM BELL). Autobiographical
281. SECRET HISTORY of the Court of England, from
the Accession of George III. to the Death of George IV. TEX By Lady Anne Hamilton. Post 8vo, boards. Lond. [recent]
✓ 282. SHAKESPEARE (WM.) Plays, with the correc-
Lond.: J. & R. Tonson, &c., 1765
The Plays of Shakespear, printed from the text of Samuel Johnson, George Steevens and Isaac Reed. 12 vols. Svo, full calf (lacks several pp. in Vol. 2). Lond. 1807
With fine portrait by Evans, and with vignettes by and after
Singleton, Howard, Neagle, Stothard, Westall.
✓ by S. W. Singer, 10 vols.; also Life and Volume of Critical EX Essays by W. W. Lloyd. Together 11 vols. Crown 8vo, half sheep (rubbed).
Lond.: Bell, 1875 285. Dramatic Works. Revised Text, with Notes by S. W. Singer, 10 vols. : also Life and Volume of Critical Essays by W. W. Lloyd. Together 11 vols. Crown 8vo, half roan (slightly rubbed).
Lond.: Bell, 1875 286. — The Tragedy of Othello, edited by H. C. Hart; V Cymbeline, edited by Edward Dowden. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
Indianapolis, n. d. 287. SHAW (GEORGE). General Zoology; or, Systematic Natural History, 14 vols. in 28, 1,193 plates of quadrupeds, reptiles, fishes, insects and birds, royal 8vo, Lond. 18001826; Zoological Lectures, 2 vols., 163 plates, royal 8vo,1809. Uniform in contemporary calf, gilt, except the last 6 parts, 3o which are in original boards (2 vols. broken), uncut.
A complete set of this “very valuable and judicious work,"
cost, in boards, was £57 ($285).
289. SHERIDAN (GEN. P. H.) The Life of: its Romance 6E X
and Reality. By F. A. Burr and R. J. Hinton. Numerous portraits and illusts. 8vo, cloth.
Providence, 1888 290. SIX MONTHS IN THE SANDWICH ISLANDS [Bird], illust., 1882; Africa, History of Exploration and Adventure [Jones), illust., 1875; Across the Continent [Bowles], illust., 1865; and others. 6 vols. 291. SMOLLETT (TOBIAS). Works.
. Etched front. to lew each vol. 12 vols. post 8vo, cloth, gilt. N. Y. 1902
292. SOME LONDON THEATRES, Past and Present v
[Williams), Lond. 1883; Glimpses of Real Life; Theatrical 6 EL and Bohemian (Bertram], Edinburgh, 1864; Dramatic
Works of Marmion, Edinburgh, Paterson, 1875; and others.
tier, FIRST EDN., Bost. 1876; Poems by Gold-Pen, Phil. Г) Baut
1856; and others. 4 vols. 12mo (some poor).
294. SPORTING. The Sportsman's Gazetteer and Gen
eral Guide. By Chas. Hallack. (On the game animals, birds GEL and fishes of North America.) Portrait and maps. Thick post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1877 ✓ 295. — The Eighth Duke of Beaufort and the Badmin
ton Hunt, by T. F. Dale, portraits and other illusts., Wesththu
minster, 1901; The Garnbling World, by Rouge et Noir, illusts , N. Y. 1898. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth.
296. Sport in Europe. Edited by F. G. Aflalo. Many full-page and smaller illusts. of game, hunting scenes, etc., from drawings by A. THORBURN, E. CALDWELL and E. F. T. BENNETT, and from photographs. Small 4to,original buckram, gilt top edge.
Lond. 1901 297. STEVENSON (ROBERT LOUIS). Dr. Jekyll and ✓
Mr. Hyde. Illust. by Charles Raymond Macauley. ONLY Ken 150 COPIES PRINTED ON IMPERIAL JAPAN VELLUM. 8vo,
half roan, uncut. AN EXQUISITE VOLUME. N. Y. 1904
298. Prayers written at Vailima. With an Introduction by his wife. FIRST EDN. Post Svo, cloth and boards, uncut.
N. Y. 1904 299. STEWART (DUGALD). The Collected Works. v
Edited by Sir William Hamilton, Bart. In 10 vols, and 6 EL
supplementary volume, containing full Index. 11 vols. in all. Portrait of Stewart. 8vo, half calf. Fine set.
Edinburgh, Lond. 1840
500. STIRLING-MAXWELL (SIR WILLIAM). Miscellaneous Essays and Addresses (Ancient Scottish Seals, The Dukes of Urbino, Sir Walter Scott, etc., etc.); also a Biographical Note and a Bibliography. With fine illusts. on India and Japan paper.
Thick small 4to, original cloth, uncut.
Lond. 1891 Large Paper copy, with a duplicate set of the plates and with
the initials printed in red. Only 265 printed. 301. The Cloister Life of the Emperor Charles V. With the author's latest notes and additions. With 8 mezzotint engravings and 5 illusts. in color from original water-color drawings, on India and Japan paper; also numerous illusts. on wood. Thick small 4to, original cloth, uncut.
Lond. 1891 Large paper copy, with a duplicate set of the plates and with
the initials printed in red. Only 265 printed. ✓
302. STUDIES IN THE BOOK OF PSALMS [Plumer] ; Olshausen on the Corinthiaus, Galatians, etc., 3 vols; and others. 21 vols. cloth, paper, etc.
303. SYLVIA, by George Darley; Vol. 1 of Dent's Lover's Library, Lond. 1892; Lyrics of Lowly Life, by Paul L. Dunbar, portrait (bookplates of R. Le Gallienne), Lond. 1897; The Colour of Life, and The Rhythm of Life, by Alice Meynell, 2 vols. (bindings ink-stained), Lond. 1897–1901. 4 vols.
V 304. TAINE (H. A.) History of English Literature.
N. Y. 1875 305. TAYLOR (BAYARD). Colorado. A Summer Trip. 1 FIRST EDN. Crown 8vo, cloth (paint stains on binding).
N. Y. 1867 / 306. TENNEY’S Natural History of Animals, 500 illusts. ; Trenton Falls, N. Y., Picturesque and Descriptive, edited by N. P. Willis, illust. ; Journal de Marie Bashkirtseff, 2 vols., paper; Great Buxton Mystery, paper, pp. 62; The Alphabet in Old English, Italic and Roman print; etc. 10 yols. crown 8vo, various bindings.
307. TENT ON THE BEACH (THE) (Whittier], FIRST EDN., Bost. 1867; Longfellow's Poems, illust., 1883; The First Loves of Perilla (Corbin] (3 copies), 1903; Whittier's Poems, 1876; etc. 9 vols. cloth. 308. THEATRICAL.
Wilkes (Thos.) General View of the Stage. 8vo, old calf (name on title and first page, binding broken).
Lond. 1759 Bookplate of George Chalmers, the eminent Scots antiquary, and biographer of Tom Paine.
309. THEATRICAL. The Pin-Basket: to the Children ✓ of Thespis. With Notes, Historical, Critical, and Biographical, by John Williams, whose public appellation is Anthony Pasquin. Vignette on title by Bartolozzi, after the author. Crown 8vo, half morocco gilt, gilt top edge, otherwise UNCUT.
and actresses of the period.
Lond. 1804 ✓ 311. THEOLOGY. Kingsley's Sermons for the Times; Macduff's Sunsets on the Hebrew Mountains; Littledale on the Song of Songs, and others. 12 vols. cloth.
Oxenham's Sermons; Plain Commentary on
313. TRAIL OF THE SANDHILL STAG (THE) (Seton-
Lond., n. d. 315. TROUBADOURS AND COURTS OF LOVE (THE) [Rowbotham), illust., 1895; Walton's Lives of Donne, Hooker, etc., N. Y. 1903; and 7 others (4 with bookplate of R. Le Gallienne). 9 vols.
316. TYTHES. Tumulus Decimarum; or, The History of Tythes; from their Nativity, to this day of their expected Ruine and Downfall, 1659. By H. P. Small 4to, limp leather, uncut (last leaf little defective). Lond. 1659
Possibly the work of Henry Peacham, author of “The
Worth of a Penny.”
✓ Scotland. (The Second and revised edn.) 9 vols. post 8vo, original cloth, uncut.
318. VIEWS. Meyer's Universum; or, Views of the
most Remarkable Places and Objects of All Countries. Text edited by Chas. A. Dana. Numerous fine plates. (Vol. 1 only.) Oblong post 8vo, cloth. N. Y.