« IndietroContinua »
137. BROWNING (E. B.) Poems. Portrait. 5 vols. 16mo, cloth (name on titles and underscored with pencil). N. Y. 1862
138. BROWNING (ROBERT). Handbook to the Works of, by Mrs. S. Orr. 12mo, cloth. Lond. 1886
(A Biography, English Men of Letters Series.) By G. K. Chesterton. Crown 8vo, cloth, uncut. N. Y. 1903 142. BRUNO (GIORDINO-the Volan). Life of, by I. Frith. Revised by Prof. Moriz Carriere. Portrait. 8vo, original cloth, uncut. Bost. 1887
143. BRYCE (JAS.) The Holy Roman Empire. Post 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1892
Studies in History and Jurisprudence. Thick
145. BUDDE (KARL). Religion of Israel to the Exile. Post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1899
146. BUDDHISM: its History and Literature. By T. W. R. Davids. Post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1896
147. Lectures on the Origin and Growth of Religion as illustrated by some points in the History of Indian Buddhism. By T. W. R. Davids. 8vo, cloth. (Hibbert Lectures.) Lond. 1897
148. BUDDHIST INDIA (Language and Literature, etc., etc.). By T. W. Rhys Davids. Fully illust. Post Svo, cloth. N. Y. 1903
149. BUILDING OF THE SHIP (THE) [Longfellow], FIRST EDN.; A Brief Sketch of the First Settlement of Deerfield, Mass., Greenfield, 1833 [reprint] (2 copies); and others. 5 vols.
✓ 150. BULLEN (A. H.-Editor). Carols and Poems from V
151. BURNS (ROBERT). A Primer of Burns. By Wm. A. Craigie. 12mo, cloth. Lond. 1896
✓152. BURR (AARON). Life and Times. By J. Parton. Portraits. Thick post 8vo, cloth (rubbed).
N. Y. 1858
153. BURROUGHS (JOHN). The Light of Day. FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth. Bost. 1900 ✓ 154. BURTON (CAPTAIN RICHARD F.) Explorations of the Highlands of the Brazil, with a full account of the Gold and Diamond Mines. FIRST AND BEST EDN. Illust. 2 vols. thick 8vo, original cloth, uncut (cloth a little soiled, fine copy for rebinding). Lond. 1869
155. BURTON (JNO. HILL). The Book-Hunter, etc.✓ Front. Post 8vo, half roan, uncut. Edinburgh, 1885
156. BUTTERFLIES AND MOTHS (British). By W. Furneaux. 12 colored plates (numerous specimens on each) and illusts. in the text. 8vo, cloth, gilt top. Lond. 1894 The Butterfly Book. A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Butterflies of N. America. By Dr. W. J. Holland. 48 plates in COLOR-PHOTOGRAPHY and many text illusts. Imp. 8vo, original cloth. N. Y. 1902
158. BYRON (LORD). The Complete Works of Byron, including his Letters, Journals and Life. With Notes by Thomas Moore. With portrait and the exquisite series of fronts. and engraved titles by Finden, from drawings by J. M. W. Turner and Stanfield. 17 vols. 12mo, original green cloth, uncut. Lond. 1832-33
159. Illust. aged).
The original edition of this much-esteemed edition, published by John Murray. It contains pieces here first printed, with a copious index to the whole work.
Works of Byron and a Sketch of his Life. Thick royal 8vo, half calf extra (title a little damBost. 1859
160. CALDECOTT (RANDOLPH). Fire; Daddy Darwin's Dovecot; Jackanapes; Mrs. Mary Blaize; Come Lasses and Lads; The Queen of Hearts; Sing a Song of Sixpence; and A Frog he would a Wooing Go. 8 vols. 8vo, paper or boards, as issued. Lond. All First editions (but one). With the series of charming illustrations in color by Caldecott.
161. CALIFORNIA. Resources of the Pacific Slope, with a Sketch of the Settlement and Exploration of Lower California. By J. R. Browne. Thick 8vo, cloth. N. Y.1869 ✓162. CALIFORNIA PILGRIM (THE). A Series of Lectures by J. A. Benton. Illust. Post 8vo, cloth (3 copies, all stained). Sacramento, Cal., 1853 163. CALIFORNIA VEGETABLES (THE) in Garden✓ and Field. By Edward Wickson. Illust. 8vo, cloth.
San Francisco, 1897
164. CAMBRIDGE NATURAL HISTORY. Molluscs [A. H. Cooke]; Brachiopods [A. E. Shipley]; Brachiopods [F. R. C Reed]. Fully illust. Thick 8vo, cloth. (Camb. Nat. Hist., Vol. 3.) N. Y. 1895
✔ 165. ———— Peripatus [Adam Sedgwick]; Myriapods [F. G. Sinclair]; and Insects (Pt. I.) [David Sharp]. Fully illust. Thick 8vo, cloth. (Camb. Nat. Hist., Vol. 5.) Lond. 1895
166. Flatworms and Mesozoa [F. W. Gamble];
167. Birds. By A. H. Evans. Fully illust. Thick 8vo, cloth. (Camb. Nat. Hist., Vol. 9.) Lond. 1900
Insects (Part 2).
By David Sharp. Fully
Amphibia and Reptiles. By Hans Gadow. Fully illust. Thick 8vo, cloth. (Camb. Nat. Hist, Vol. 8.) Lond. 1901
Mammalia. By Frank Evers Beddard. Fully Thick Svo, cloth. (Camb. Nat. Hist., Vol. 10) Lond. 1902 ✓171. CAMPAIGNS OF THE ARMY OF THE POTOMAC [Swinton], 1866; Redeeming the Republic [Coffin], illust., 1890; The Uprising of a Great People [Gasparin], transl., 1861; and others. 10 vols.
✓ 172. CAMPBELL (THOMAS). Specimens of the British
✔ 173. CANADA. A History of. By Chas. G. D. Roberts. ✔ Bost. 1897
J. Map. 8vo, cloth.
/ 174. CAPE COD. History of. Annals of the Thirteen
175. CARD PLAYING. Hearts: a Description of the Game, and a Code of Laws. By R. F. Foster. (10 copies.)
16mo, cloth. N. Y. 1895
✓176. CARLYLE (THOS.) Reminiscences of My Irish
177. Early Letters of, 1814-36; also, Correspondence between Goethe and Carlyle. Edited by C. E. Norton. 3 vols. post 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1886-87
178. A History of Carlyle's Life in London, 18341881, by J. A. Froude, 2 vols. in 1, cloth, 1884; Life of Jane Welsh Carlyle, by Mrs. Alexander Ireland, portrait, cloth. 2 vols. crown 8vo.
179. CERVANTES. Don Quixote. A Transl., with Introduction and Notes by John Ormsby. Portrait and illusts. by GEO. CRUIKSHANK. 4 vols. 12mo, cloth. N. Y. 1893
✔ 180. CEYLON. Two Happy Years in Ceylon.
By C.F.G. N. Y. 1892
Baudenkmäler aus Ältester Zeit in Ceylon. Transl. into German from the English of H. W. Cave. 65 full-page views. 8vo, half roan. Berlin, 1901
182. CHADWICK (JOHN WHITE). The Choir Invisi- √ ble; The Double Harvest; The Possible Life; Seeing and Doing; and others similar by the same writer. 7 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
Bost. 1897, etc.
183. CHAMPNEY (E. W.), Three Vassar Girls in England; Three Vassar Girls in the Holy Land; Three Vassar Girls in the Tyrol, all illust., Bost. 1884-; Harris (J. C.), Aaron in the Wildwoods, FIRST EDN, illusts., Bost. 1897; and another. 5 vols. small 4to, original boards and cloth.
184. CHEMISTRY. Inorganic Chemistry. By Ira Rem-V sen. Illust. Thick 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1892
185. CHEYNE (T. K.) Jewish Religious Life after the Exile. Post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1898
186. CHIPS AND CHUNKS FOR EVERY FIRESIDE ✓ [Deems], 1890; Sunlight and Shadow, or Gleanings from My Life Work [Gough], illust., 1881; The Twelve Stars of the Republic, illust., 1850; and others. 10 vols.
187. CHRISTIAN SCIENCE. Science and Health, with Key to the Scriptures. By M. B. G. Eddy. Post 8vo, cloth. Bost. 1894
188. CIVIL WAR. My Story of the War [M. A. Livermore], portrait; History of the U. S. Secret Service [Genl. Baker], portrait; Farragut and Our Naval Commanders [Hon. J. T. Headley], illust. 3 vols. 8vo, cloth, etc.
General Butler in New Orleans [Jas. Parton], 1864; My Diary North and South [W. H. Russell], 1863; In Hospital and Camp [S. E. Bucklin], 1869. 3 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
Woman's Work in the Civil War [Brockett], portraits, 1867; Women of the War [Moore], portraits, 1866; Grant and his Campaigns [Coppée], portraits, 1866; and another. 4 vols. 8vo, cloth, etc.
Four Years in Secessia [J. H. Browne]; Mission Ridge and Lookout Mountain [B. F. Taylor]; The Bivouac and the Battle-Field [Geo. F. Noyes]; and others. 7 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
War Pictures from the South [Estvàn]; Soldier's Story of his Captivity [W. L. Goss]; Military Map of Middle and Southern States; A Private Chapter of the War [G. W. Bailey]; and others. 8 vols. crown 8vo, etc.
▼ 193. Anecdotes of the Civil War [Townsend], 1884; The South Since the War [Andrews], 1866; Following the Flag ["Carleton"], 1865; and others similar. 8 vols.
✓ 194. CIVIL WAR POETRY. Idyls of Battle and Poems of the Rebellion, by Laura C. Redden; Bugle-Echoes, a Collection of War Poems, Northern and Southern, edited by F. F. Browne. 2 vols. post 8vo and 12mo, cloth.
195. CLASSIC AUTHORS. Letters of. Pliny the Younger [Bosanquet], Lond.: Bell, 1900; Works of Virgil [Dryden], with Memoirs, Lond. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth.
196. CLASSICS. Translations of Pindar, Epictetus, Cicero's Offices, Lucian's Dialogues, Seneca on Benefits (Bohn's Classical Library), Homer's Odyssey, by Palmer; Aristophanes, by Freer. Together 12 vols. Crown Svo, cloth.
197. CLEMENS (S. L.) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. FIRST EDN. Illusts. Square Svo, cloth.
N. Y. 1889
FIRST EDN. Illust.
The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Comedy of those Extraordinary Twins. trait and illusts. 8vo, cloth (name on title).
Wilson and the FIRST EDN. PorHartford, 1894