« IndietroContinua »
262. DIVINE EMBLEMS [Bunyan], illust.; Bunyan Characters; Lectures [Alex. Whyte]; Bunyan's Country; Studies in the Beds; Topography [Foster], illust., 1901; and others. 8 vols.
263. DIXON (WM. H.) The Holy Land. Illusts. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth, uncut (somewhat foxed). Lond. 1865 ↓ 264. DOCTOR LUKE OF THE LABRADOR [Duncan], illust., 1904; De Omnibus Rebus, an Old Man's Discursive Ramblings [Mrs. S. Byrne], Lond. 1888; The Alcotts in Harvard (an Account of the Author of "Little Women," etc.), by A. M. L. Clark (2 copies). 4 vols. cloth, etc.
265. DODGE (M. A.-"Gail Hamilton"). Stumbling Blocks; Skirmishes and Sketches; Summer Rest; Sermons to the Clergy. FIRST EDNS. 4 vols. 12mo, cloth. Bost. 1864-76
266. DORLAND FAMILY. Cremer (J. Dorland). Records of the Dorland Family in America, embracing the principal branches-Dorland, Dorlon, Dorlan, Durland, Durlingin the United States and Canada. 8vo, original cloth.
Wash. 1898 A. L. S. from the author inserted, in reference to the Dorland family.
✓ 267. DRAMATIC BIOGRAPHY. Reynolds (Frederick). ✓
Portrait. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth,
Life and Times. By Himself.
Mathews (Charles). Memoirs of Mathews. By Mrs. Mathews. Portraits in character, including some folding. 4 vols. 8vo, half calf. Best library edn. Lond. 1839 ✓ 269. DRESS CUTTING. The Dress and Cloak Cutter, 2 vols.; and Handbook on Practical Dress and Cloak Cutting. By Chas. Hecklinger. Illust. 3 vols. thin 4to, cloth. N. Y. 1883-84 2 copies of the Dress and Cloak Cutter; and Part I. (Dressmaking) of the other. Illust. 3 vols. ✓ 271. DU BARRY. Mrs. Leslie Carter in Play of Du Barry. Portraits and illusts. (10 copies.)
↓ 272. DU CHAILLU (PAUL B.) The Viking Age. The Early History, Manners, and Customs of the Ancestors of the English-speaking Nations. FIRST EDN. Map and 1,366 illusts. of antiquities. 2 vols. 8vo, original cloth. N. Y. 1890
273. DUFFY (SIR CHARLES GAVAN). My Life in Two Hemispheres. Portrait. 2 vols. thick 8vo, original cloth, gilt tops, uncut. N. Y. Macmillan, 1898 ✔274. DWIGHT (JNO. SULLIVAN), Brook Farmer, ✓ Editor, and Critic of Music: a Biography. By Geo. Willis Cooke. Portrait. 8vo, cloth and label, uncut.
275. EARLY AMERICAN ALMANACKS. An Astro-✓
nomical Diary or Almanack. By Nathanael Low. 1784 (lacks last leaf), 1785, 1794, 1795, 1802, and 1803. 12mo, paper. (6 pieces.) Bost. 1784-1803 ✔276. EARLY CHRISTIANITY. The Apostolic Age of the Christian Church. By Carl von Weizsäcker. Transl. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth, uncut. Lond. 1897
The Beginnings of Christianity. By Paul
278. EARLY LONG ISLAND: a Colonial Story. By
279. EARLY WEST. History of Oregon and California and other Territories on the North-West Coast. By Robt. Greenhow. Map. Royal 8vo, wrappers, uncut. Bost. 1845 280. The California Pilgrim: a Series of Lectures. By J. A. Benton. Characteristic illusts. Post 8vo, cloth. Scarce. Sacramento (Cal.), 1853
281. EGGLESTON (EDWARD). The Beginners of a Nation: a History of the Source and Rise of the Earliest English Settlements in America. FIRST EDN. Post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1897 England to Post 8vo, N. Y. 1901
283. EGYPTIAN MAGIC, and Egyptian Ideas of the Future Life [E. A. W. Budge], illust., Lond. 1899; The Battle of the Swash and the Capture of Canada [Barton], paper (10 copies); and others. 18 vols.
CENTURY ILLUSTRATED BOOKS. The Kisses and the Month of May. By Claude J. Dorat. Choice copper-plates by Eisen and Marillier. Royal 8vo, illuminated boards, uncut. Limited issue.
Lond. Vizetelly, n. d. Beauty's Day. By the Abbé de Favre. With choice facsimiles of the original plates by Leclerc. With the plates in two states on Japanese vellum paper, and of which only a small number were printed. Imp. 8vo, art cloth, Lond. [circa 1888]
286. EIGHTEENTH CENTURY VIGNETTES [Austin Dobson], N. Y. 1894; Ten Tales from the French of Fr. Coppée, N. Y. 1902, illusts. ; and another. 3 vols. 12mo, cloth.
✓ 287. EISEN'S ILLUSTRATIONS. Les Quatre Parties du Jour; poëme traduit de L'Allemand de M. Zacharie. With 9 exquisite illustrations-5 full-page and 4 vignettes-by Eisen, and all brilliant proofs. Post 8vo, half green crushed levant morocco, gilt top. Fine copy. Scarce. Paris, 1769
288. ELIOT (GEORGE). Novels and Essays, with Life by J. W. Cross. Illusts. 13 vols. crown 8vo, cloth (name, etc., on titles, and some passages pencil-scored).
Three of the volumes not uniform.
N. Y. 1869-85 289. ELIOTT (GEN. GEO. AUG.-Defender of Gibraltar). Fine portrait, oval, in uniform; with view of Gibraltar and battle. Engraved by Beugo. 8vo. Lond. 1794 ✔290. ELLIS (GEO. E.) History of the Battle of Bunker's Hill, illust.; History of Battle-Flag Day, Sept. 17, 1879, illusts.; King's Hand-book of New York City, numerous illusts. 3 vols. 8vo, etc., cloth. v. p., 1875-'92 ✓ 291. ELZEVIR. M. Tullii Ciceronis Opera omnia . . Accurante C. Schrevelio. Engraved title. Small, 4to. Original binding of stamped pigskin over thick wooden boards, the central panel of the upper cover occupied by a representation of the Crucifixion, and the central panel of the lower cover by the Resurrection, both surrounded by elaborate stamped borders; original owner's initials, and date 1668 on upper cover; metal clasps and fittings complete; in perfect state, both inside and out, except for several passages of text being scored in pencil.
Amstelodami, L. et D. Elzevirios, 1661
Although the names of the Elzevirs occur above that of Hackius on the title, it is to the latter's Leyden press we owe this accurately printed edition. Bookplate of W. Harcourt Torriano.
√292. EMERSON (R. W.) English Traits. FIRST EDN. Bar 12mo, cloth.
Two Unpublished Essays: The Present State
. 296. The Correspondence of Thomas
Letters to a Friend, 1838-53. Edited by C. E.
Carlyle and 2 vols post Bost. 1896
299. EMERSON (R. W.) The Influence of Emerson. By Edwin D. Mead. FIRST EDN. Post 8vo, cloth. Bost. 1903
300. ENGLISH ARTISTS. A Dictionary of Artists of the English School: Painters, Sculptors, Architects, Engra
vers and Ornamentists, with Notices of their Lives and t
Works. By Samuel Redgrave. Thick 8vo, original cloth.
301. ENGLISH COLONIES IN AMERICA: Virginia,
✓ 302. ENGLISH FAMILY HISTORY. The Great Gov-
The Percies, Stanleys, Howards, Talbots, Cavendishes, etc.,
303. ENGLISH PARLIAMENTS. Parliaments, Past and
304. ENGLISH POETRY. The Poetical Album and Register of Modern Fugitive Poetry. Edited by Alaric A. Watts. With pretty vignette titles. 2 vols. post 8vo, original boards, uncut (rebacked with cloth). Lond. 1828-29 Both series complete. Contains selections from Lamb, Shelley, Leigh Hunt, Wordsworth, and others. Book-label of Thomas Hutchinson in each vol.
305. ENGLISH STATESMEN. William the Conqueror,
306. ETCHINGS. Wensleydale (with Historical Descriptions). By Richard S. Chattock. Folio, cloth, gilt edges. Lond. 1872
Original edition. Scarce. Contains 14 fine etchings-all proofs of Hawes, Aysgarth Force, Hardraw Scarr Force, etc. 307. ETHICS. Practical Ethics: a Collection of Addresses and Essays. By Hy. Sedgwick. Post 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1898
310. EVOLUTION OF PLANT LIFE [Massee], illust., Lond. 1891; Poisonous Plants in Field and Garden [Henslow], Lond. 1901; The Garden Story [Ellwanger], illust., 1898. 3 vols.
✓ 311. EXTRA-ILLUSTRATED LIFE OF WASHINGTON IRVING. The Life and Letters of Washington Irving. By his nephew, Pierre M. Irving. 7 vols. 8vo, sheets, N. Y. 1883 15 uncut.
UNIQUE COPY. One of 300 printed on Large Paper, and the original 3 volumes being extended to 7 by the insertion of fine and scarce portraits and other appropriate plates, with specially printed title-pages. The 7 parts in portfolios ready for binding, or for the insertion of more prints.
308. EVOLUTION. The Morals of Evolution [Savage]; The Riddle of the Universe [Haeckel]; The Childhood of Religions [Clodd]. 3 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
309. EVOLUTION AND THEOLOGY, and other Essays. By Otto Pfleiderer, edited by O. Cone. Post 8vo, cloth, uncut. Lond. 1900
EXTRA-ILLUSTRATING. A General History of
The British Plutarch: Lives of the most Eminent Men... from the Reign of Henry VIII.-George II. 12 vols. in 6. 24mo, original calf (lacks 1 plate). Lond. 1762
Contains about 60 spirited copper-plate portraits (some curious) of Drake, Spenser, Dudley, Milton, Fairfax, Villiers, Raleigh, Fielding, Walpole, Swift, Pope, Dryden, Butler, Prior, Cabot and others.
314. EYES AND EARS, 1862; Comforting Thoughts, 1885; and Freedom and War-all by Henry Ward Beecher, all FIRST EDNS.; The Sketch Book [Irving]; and others. 10 vols.
315. FARM GRASSES OF THE UNITED STATES [Spillman], illust., N. Y. 1905; Grasses, a Handbook for use in the Field and Laboratory [Ward], illust., Cambridge Eng.], 1901; Forage Crops other than Grasses [Shaw], illust., N. Y. 1902. 3 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
316. FARMING. Biggle Farm Library. 6 Nos. (Swine, Cows, Sheep, Pets, Berries, etc.) Illusts. 18mo, cloth.
317. Davis (L. D.), Improving the Farm; Shaw (Thos.), The Study of Breeds in America, Cattle, Sheep and Swine. 2 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.