« IndietroContinua »
384. GRANT (GEN. U. S.) Personal Memoirs of Grant. Illust. 2 vols. thick 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1885
386. GRASSES. The True Grasses. By Ed. Hackel. Transl. Fully illust. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1890
385. GRAPHIC AND HISTORICAL ILLUSTRATOR, edited by E. W. Brayley, numerous engravings of views, small 4to, Lond. [183-]; and another.
387. GRASSES [M'Alpine], illust., Edinburgh, 1890; The Soil of the Farm [Scott and Morton], Lond.; The Evolution of Horticulture in New England [Slade], N. Y. 1895; etc. 4 vols.
388. GRASSES OF NORTH AMERICA for Farmers and Students. By W. J. Beal. (Vol. 1 only.) 8vo, cloth (stamp on title). Lausing (Mich.) 
389. GREECE. History of. Transl. by A. W. Ward. 5 vols.
By Prof. Ernst Curtius. 8vo; cloth.
N. Y. Scribner, 1883 Town Life in the XVth ✓
390. GREEN (MRS. J. R.) Century.
2 vols. thick 8vo, original cloth, uncut. copy of the first and best library edn.
/ 391. GRISWOLD (RUFUS W.) The Republican Court;
392. HAECKEL (ERNST). The History of Creation. Transl. and revised by E. Ray Lancaster. Fully illust. 2 vols. thick post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1893 √393. HALLAM (HENRY). The Works of Hallam: Europe in the Middle Ages; Constitutional History; and Literature in Europe. 10 vols. post 8vo, half calf extra. Fine set. N. Y. 1863 394. HAMERTON (PHILIP GILBERT). A Painter's ✓ Camp; Life of J. M. W. Turner; Wenderholme; Round My House. 4 vols. 12mo, cloth. Lond and Bost. 1866-76
Contemporary French Painters: an Essay.
/396. The Intellectual Life; Human Intercourse;
397. HAMILTON (GAIL). Life in Letters.
✓ 398. HAMILTON (LADY). Drawings faithfully copied
399. HARLAND (HENRY). The Lady Paramount.
Evening Tales. From the French of F. Ortoli.
400. HARRIS (JOEL CHANDLER). Sketches in Black and White. FIRST EDN.
403. HARRISON (W. H.), Life and Times, by I. J. Burr, portrait; another, Life, by I. R. Jackson. 2 vols 16mo, cloth. N. Y. and Phil. 1840
404. HARVARD. A Discourse occasioned by the much lamented Death of Dr. Edward Wigglesworth, Hollis Professor of Divinity in Harvard College, Cambridge. By Nath. Appleton, Pastor of the First Church in Cambridge. 8vo, unbound. Bost.: R. and S. Draper, 1765
405. HAWTHORNE (NATHANIEL). Our Old Home: FIRST EDN. a Series of English Sketches. Crown 8vo, original brown cloth. Fine copy. Bost. 1863 406. Works. Illusts. 16 vols. 12mo, original green cloth (name, etc., on titles). Bost.: Ticknor & Fields, 1868 Passages from American Note Books" is uniform with the other volumes, although it is the First Edition of the book.
Hawthorne and his Wife: a Biography. By ✓ 107. Julian Hawthorne. 2 vols. thick royal 8vo, original boards, uncut. Cambridge, 1884
Finely printed by Houghton, Mifflin & Co. Large Paper copy, with portraits on India paper. Only 350 copies printed. Choice condition.
(A Biography.) By Geo. E. Woodberry. FIRST Portrait. 12mo, cloth. Bost. 1902
By Julian Haw8vo, cloth, uncut.
N. Y. 1903
411. HAYTI; or, The Black Republic. By Sir Spencer St. John. Map. Post 8vo, cloth (pencil-scored in some inargins). N. Y. 1889
412. HAZLITT (W. CAREW). The Book-Collector. A General Survey of the Pursuit and of those who have engaged in it at home and abroad, etc., etc. Illusts. Post Svo, buckram, uncut. Lond. 1904
413. HEARN (LAFCADIO). Chita: a Memory of Last
J. Island. FIRST EDN.
J414. Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan. FIRST EDNS.
"Out of the East": Reveries and Studies in FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth, uncut. Bost. 1895 ✓ 416. Kokoro: Hints and Echoes of Japanese Inner Life. FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth. Bost. 1896
417. HEINE (HEINRICH). Pictures of Travel. Transl. by C. G. Leland. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth, gilt tops. N. Y. 1891
418. HIGGINSON (THOMAS W.) Contemporaries (Sketches of Emerson, Whittier, Whitman, and others); Cheerful Yesterdays. Collected edns. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth. Bost. 1899-1900 J 419. HILDRETH (RICHARD). The History of the United States of America. Library edn. 6 vols. thick 8vo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut (underscored with blue pencil).
N. Y. 1880
420. HISTORICAL PAMPHLETS. Several Visits to the Kennebec River Indians [Jos. Baxter], 1717, Notes, Bost. 1867; The Bostonian Society, William Blaxton [T. C. Amory], Bost. 1886; Traditionary Story of the Attack on Hoadley, Mass., 1675 [Geo. Sheldon], Bost. 1874; and others. 7 vols. royal 8vo, cloth.
421. HISTORY. The Library of Historic Characters and Famous Events of all Nations and all Ages. Edited by A. R. Spofford, Frank Weitenkampf and Prof. J. P. Lamberton. Numerous photogravures from paintings by great artists and from authentic portraits. 12 vols. 8vo, original cloth, gilt top edges. Bost. 1902
422. HISTORY OF OREGON [Hines]; Noble Deeds of American Women [Clement]; The Golden Chersonese [I. L. Bird]; and 7 others. 10 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
423. HOGARTH (WILLIAM). The Genuine Works of William Hogarth. Illustrated with Biographical Anecdotes, a Chronological Catalogue and Commentary by John Nichols and George Steevens. With a large number of fine
facsimiles of Hogarth's plates. 3 vols. thick royal 4to, full russia gilt, gilt edges (covers loose and need repairs).
Apart from the binding, a fine copy of this splendid edition. Vol. 3 contains "Clavis Hogarthiana" and other illuftrative essays, with 50 additional plates. (Sold as it is.)
424. HOLE (DEAN). The Memories and More Memories. By S. R Hole. Illust. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth.
N. Y. and Lond. 1894
✓ ✔425. HOLLAND (J. G.) Bitter-Sweet: a Poem. Illust by E. J. Whitney. 8vo, full morocco, gilt edges. N.Y. 1869
426. HOLLAND AND ITS PEOPLE. By Edmondo de Amicis. Illust. 8vo, cloth, gilt top. N. Y. 1890
✓ 427. HOLMES (OLIVER WENDELL). The Berkshire
428. FIRST EDN. nncut.
429. HOME LIFE IN FLORIDA [Helen Harcourt], illust. (stamp on title); The New Chemistry [J. P. Cooke], illust.; Manipulation of the Microscope [Edw. Bausch], illust. ; and others (some in paper). (14 pieces.)
430. HOMER. The Iliad and Odyssey. Transl. into English Prose by Andrew Lang, S. H. Butcher and others. 2 vols. post Svo, cloth. N. Y. 1883
431. The Odysseys of. Transl. by Geo. Chapman. Introduction and Notes by Rev. Richard Hooper. Front. in facsimile. 2 vols. square 12mo, cloth, uncut. Lond. 1897 ↓ 432. The Iliads of. Transl. by Geo. Chapman. Introduction and Notes by Rev. Richard Hooper. Front. and title in facsimile. 2 vols. square 12mo, cloth, uncut.
✓ 433. HONE (WILLIAM). Every Day Book, Year Book
Fine and complete set of these highly entertaining volumes, relating the manners, amusements, sports, customs, etc., etc., of bygone times.
434. HORSES. Our Francis M. Ware. Illust.
Noblest Friend the Horse.
435. HORTICULTURE. American Horticultural Man-✓
436. HUGHES (THOS.) Tom Brown's School Days, por- v trait (view pasted on reverse of title, and spotted in places), Bost. 1866; Tom Brown at Oxford, 2 vols., portrait, Bost. 1864; Vacation Rambles, FIRST EDN., Lond. 1895; and another. 5 vols. 12mo, cloth.
437. HUGO (VICTOR). Novels, transl. from the French✔
438. HUMBOLDT LIBRARY OF SCIENCE, 11 vols., by
439. HUME (DAVID). History of England from the
440. HUME AND SMOLLETT'S History of England.
A humorous vein.
✓ 441. HUMOROUS GREETINGS. A Collection of 162
442. HUTTON (LAURENCE). Plays and Players. (The
One of only 25 copies, on Large Paper, specially printed for
443. HYMNS. Lyra Coelestis: Hymns of Heaven Se- v lected by A. C. Thompson. 8vo, full morocco, gilt edges Bost. 1863
√ 444. ILL
445. ILLUSTRATED BOOKS. Proverbial Sayings; Some