« IndietroContinua »
384. GRANT (GEN. U. S.) Personal Memoirs of Grant. Illust. 2 vols. thick 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1885 385. GRAPHIC AND HISTORICAL ILLUSTRATOR, edited by E. W. Brayley, numerous engravings of views, small 4to, Lond. [183-]; and another.
386. GRASSES. The True Grasses. By Ed. Hackel. N. Y. 1890
J. Transl. Fully illust. 8vo, cloth.
387. GRASSES [M'Alpine], illust., Edinburgh, 1890; The Soil of the Farm [Scott and Morton], Lond.; The Evolution of Horticulture in New England [Slade], N. Y. 1895; etc. 4 vols.
388. GRASSES OF NORTH AMERICA for Farmers and Students. By W. J. Beal. (Vol. 1 only.) 8vo, cloth (stamp on title). Lausing (Mich.) 
389. GREECE. History of.
By Prof. Ernst Curtius.
Transl. by A. W. Ward. 5 vols. 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. Scribner, 1883
Town Life in the XVth ✔
390. GREEN (MRS. J. R.) Century. 2 vols. thick 8vo, original cloth, uncut. copy of the first and best library edn. /391. GRISWOLD (RUFUS W.) The Republican Court;✓ or, American Society in the Days of Washington. 21 fullpage steel portraits of distinguished women. Imp. 8vo, morocco (cracked).
N. Y. 1855
AECKEL (ERNST). The History of Creation.
✓ 394. HAMERTON (PHILIP GILBERT). A Painter's
√397. HAMILTON (GAIL). Life in Letters. Edited by
✓ 398. HAMILTON (LADY). Drawings faithfully copied✓
399. HARLAND (HENRY). The Lady Paramount.
400. HARRIS (JOEL CHANDLER). Sketches in Black and White. FIRST EDN.
Mingo, and other 12mo, cloth. Bost. 1884
Evening Tales. From the French of F. Ortoli. 12mo, cloth.
N. Y. 1893
N. Y. and Phil. 1840
404. HARVARD. A Discourse occasioned by the much v lamented Death of Dr. Edward Wigglesworth, Hollis Professor of Divinity in Harvard College, Cambridge. Nath. Appleton, Pastor of the First Church in Cambridge. 8vo, unbound. Bost. R. and S. Draper, 1765
405. HAWTHORNE (NATHANIEL). Our Old Home: a Series of English Sketches. FIRST EDN. Crown 8vo, original brown cloth. Fine copy.
Works. Illusts. 16 vols. 12mo, original green ✔ cloth (name, etc., on titles). Bost.: Ticknor & Fields, 1868 Passages from American Note Books" is uniform with the other volumes, although it is the First Edition of the book.
Analytical Index to the Works of Nathaniel Hawthorne, with a Sketch of his Life, 1882; Hawthorne, by Henry James, Jr., 1887. 2 vols. 16mo, etc.
(A Biography.) By Geo. E. Woodberry. FIRST Portrait. 12mo, cloth. 410. Hawthorne and his Circle. thorne. FIRST EDN. Portrait and illusts.
By Julian Haw8vo, cloth, uncut. N. Y. 1903
411. HAYTI; or, The Black Republic. By Sir Spencer St. John. Map. Post 8vo, cloth (pencil-scored in some inargins). N. Y. 1889
412. HAZLITT (W. CAREW). The Book-Collector. A✔ General Survey of the Pursuit and of those who have en74 gaged in it at home and abroad, etc., etc. Illusts. Post Svo, buckram, uncut.
413. HEARN (LAFCADIO). Chita: a Memory of Last Island. FIRST EDN. N. Y. 1889 J414. — Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan. FIRST EDNS. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth. Bost. 1894
"Out of the East": Reveries and Studies in FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth, uncut. Bost. 1895 Kokoro: Hints and Echoes of Japanese Inner Life. FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth. Bost. 1896
No 417. HEINE (HEINRICH). Pictures of Travel. Transl. by C. G. Leland. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth, gilt tops. N. Y. 1891 418. HIGGINSON (THOMAS W.) Contemporaries (Sketches of Emerson, Whittier, Whitman, and others); Cheerful Yesterdays. Collected edns. 2 vols. post 8vo,
419. HILDRETH (RICHARD). The History of the United States of America. Library edn. 6 vols. thick 8vo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut (underscored with blue pencil).
N. Y. 1880
420. HISTORICAL PAMPHLETS. Several Visits to the Kennebec River Indians [Jos. Baxter], 1717, Notes, Bost. 1867; The Bostonian Society, William Blaxton [T. C. Amory], Bost. 1886; Traditionary Story of the Attack on Hoadley, Mass., 1675 [Geo. Sheldon], Bost. 1874; and others. 7 vols. royal 8vo, cloth.
421. HISTORY. The Library of Historic Characters and Famous Events of all Nations and all Ages. Edited by A. R. Spofford, Frank Weitenkampf and Prof. J. P. Lamberton. Numerous photogravures from paintings by great artists and from authentic portraits. 12 vols. 8vo, original cloth, gilt top edges. Bost. 1902
422. HISTORY OF OREGON [Hines]; Noble Deeds of American Women [Clement]; The Golden Chersonese [I. L. Bird]; and 7 others. 10 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
facsimiles of Hogarth's plates. 3 vols. thick royal 4to, full russia gilt, gilt edges (covers loose and need repairs).
Lond. 1808-17 Apart from the binding, a fine copy of this splendid edition. Vol. 3 contains Clavis Hogarthiana" and other illuftrative essays, with 50 additional plates. (Sold as it is.)
N. Y. and Lond. 1894
✔425. HOLLAND (J. G.) Bitter-Sweet: a Poem. Illust. by E. J. Whitney. 8vo, full morocco, gilt edges. N. Y. 1869
426. HOLLAND AND ITS PEOPLE. Amicis. Illust. 8vo, cloth, gilt top.
By Edmondo de
N. Y. 1890
✓ 427. HOLMES (OLIVER WENDELL).
Contains a poem and a speech by Holmes, pp. 161-163. 428. Life and Letters. By John T. Morse, Jr. FIRST EDN. Portraits. 2 vols. post Svo, cloth, gilt tops, nncut. Bost. 1896
429. HOME LIFE IN FLORIDA [Helen Harcourt], illust. (stamp on title); The New Chemistry [J. P. Cooke], illust.; Manipulation of the Microscope [Edw. Bausch], illust.; and others (some in paper). (14 pieces.)
430. HOMER. The Iliad and Odyssey. Transl. into English Prose by Andrew Lang, S. H. Butcher and others. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1883
431. The Odysseys of. Transl. by Geo. Chapman. Introduction and Notes by Rev. Richard Hooper. Front. in facsimile. 2 vols. square 12mo, cloth, uncut. Lond. 1897 + 432. The Iliads of. Transl. by Geo. Chapman. Introduction and Notes by Rev. Richard Hooper. Front. and title in facsimile. 2 vols. square 12mo, cloth, uncut.
✓ 433. HONE (WILLIAM). Every Day Book, Year Book and Table Book. With hundreds of illusts., some of which are by George Cruikshank. 4 vols. thick 8vo, original
Lond. Tegg, 1847-50
Fine and complete set of these highly entertaining volumes, relating the manners, amusements, sports, customs, etc., etc., of bygone times.
434. HORSES. Our
Noblest Friend the Horse. By Francis M. Ware. Illust. Post 8vo, cloth, gilt top. Bost. 1903
435. HORTICULTURE. American Horticultural Manual (Fruits, Nuts, Ornamental Trees, Shrubs, etc.). By J. L. Budd and N. E. Hansen. Profusely illust. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1902
436. HUGHES (THOS.) Tom Brown's School Days, por- ✓ trait (view pasted on reverse of title, and spotted in places), Bost. 1866; Tom Brown at Oxford, 2 vols., portrait, Bost. 1864; Vacation Rambles, FIRST EDN., Lond. 1895; and another. 5 vols. 12mo, cloth.
437. HUGO (VICTOR). Novels, transl. from the French✔
438. HUMBOLDT LIBRARY OF SCIENCE, 11 vols., by
439. HUME (DAVID). History of England from the
✓ 441. HUMOROUS GREETINGS. A Collection of 162
442. HUTTON (LAURENCE). Plays and Players. (The
443. HYMNS. Lyra Coelestis: Hymns of Heaven Se- v lected by A. C. Thompson. 8vo, full morocco, gilt edges (rubbed). Bost. 1863
444. ILLINOIS. Report of the Adjutant-General of the State, containing Rosters of Enlisted Men, 186166. 8vo, half bound (back missing). Springfield, 1867
445. ILLUSTRATED BOOKS. Proverbial Sayings; Some Old Friends in New Dresses, colored comic illusts. by Gordon Browne; Tales Told at Twilight [Kath. M. Iliffe], illusts.; Young George, his Life [Edith Farmiloe], colored illusts. 3 vols. small 4to, boards. N. Y. [recent]