« IndietroContinua »
446. ILLUSTRATING. The Art of Illustration. By Henry Blackburn. 98 illusts. Royal 8vo, cloth. Edin.1901 44%. INDIANS. Exploration of the Valley of the Amazon, by W. L Herndon and L. Gibbon. Maps, and plates of views, etc. 3 vols. 8vo, cloth. Wash. 1854
448. History of the Discovery of America, of the Landing of our Forefathers and of their Engagements with the Indians. Post 8vo, half roan (poor copy). Brooklyn,n.d.
449. INGERSOLL AND MOSES [Curtis], 1880; Mistakes of Ingersoll [McClure], 1879; Spiritual Wives [Dixon], 1868; Ecce Homo [Gladstone], 1888; and others. 8 vols.
450. INQUISITION. Lea (H. Chas.) A History of the Inquisition of the Middle Ages. 3 vols. 8vo, cloth. N.Y.1888
451. INSECTS. Harris (Xr. T. W.) Treatise on some of the Insects Injurious to Vegetation. COLORED plates and text illusis. 8vo, original cloth (name on title). Bost 1862 452. Insects Injurious to Forest and Shade Trees. By A. S. Packard, Jr. Illusts. 8vo, half morocco (stamp on title). Wash [Gov't Print] 1881 453. Packard (Dr. A. S., Jr.) Guide to the Study of Insects for the use of Colleges, Farm Schools, and Agriculturists. Plates and 670 woodcuts. 8vo, cloth
N. Y. 1883
Lubbock (Sir John). On the Origin and Metamorphoses of Insects. FIRST EDN. Illusts. Crown 8vo,
Lond. 1883 456. Riley (Dr. C. V.) Directions for Collecting and Preserving Insects; The Honey Bee, by F. Benton. vols. 8vo. Wash. 1892-96
457. Adler (Dr. H.) Alternating Generations: a Biographical Study of Oak Galls and Gall Flies. Transl. and edited by Chas. R. Straton. Colored and other illusts. Crown 8vo, original cloth. Oxford, 1894
Injurious Insects and the Use of Insecticides. By F. W. Sempers. 185 illusts. Post 8vo, half bound.
Phil. 1894 Study of Insects, by Prof. Comstock. Colored front. Ithaca, N. Y., 1895
A Manual for the J. H. Comstock and Anna B. and other plates. Original cloth.
460. A Manual of Injurious Insects, by E. A. Ormerod, illusts., Lond. 1890; Insects Affecting Domestic Animals, by Herbert Osborn, illusts., Wash. 1896. 2 vols. 8vo.
Ormerod (E. A.) Handbook of Insects and Fruits, with means vention and Remedy. Illusts. Post 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1898 462. Injurious and Useful Insects. By L. C. Miall. Illust. 12mo, cloth. Lond. 1902 ✓ 463. The Insect Book: a Popular Account of the Bees, Wasps, Ants, Grasshoppers, Flies, and other N. American Insects. By Dr. L. O. Howard. Colored and other plates and numerous text illusts. Imp. 8vo, original cloth. N.Y.1902 464. Gibson (Wm. Hamilton). Sharp Eyes: a Rambler's Calendar of Fifty-two weeks among Insects, Birds, and Flowers. Illusts. by the author. Royal Svo, original cloth extra, gilt top edge. N. Y. 1892
465. IN THE WOODS with Bryant, Longfellow, and Halleck. Illust. from drawings by John A. Hows. 8vo, embossed morocco, gilt edges (name on half title). N. Y. 1863
466. IRELAND. Carey (M.) Vindicia Hibernicæ: or, Ireland Vindicated. An attempt to develop and expose a few of the multifarious errors and falsehoods respecting Ireland. FIRST EDN. 8vo, original sheep (binding worn). Phil. 1819
Letters on Irish Emigration. By Edward E. Hale. Svo, original wrappers. Presentation copy from the author to Francis Wayland, Jr., with autograph inscription on cover. Bost. 1852
A refutation of the older and comparatively modern English historians, especially in relation to the Massacre" of 1641.
468. The Ballads of Ireland, collected by Ed. Hayes (poor copy), Bost. 1856; Lives of Irishmen's Sons and their Descendants [McGee], N. Y. 1874; A History of the Irish Settlers in N. America [McGee] (poor copy), Bost. 1855. 3 vols. 12mo, cloth.
469. Ireland under Coercion [W. H. Hurlbert, 1888]; In Castle and Cabin, or Talks in Ireland in 1887 [Geo. Pellew], 1889; and 2 others. 4 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
470. Travels of an Irish Gentleman, Balt. 1844; Irish Fairy Tales [Leamy]; Pictures from Ireland [McGrath], 1881; and 2 other Irish books. 5 vols. 12mo, cloth.
✓ 471. [IRELAND (W. H.) Vortigern, an Historical
472. IRRIGATION. Manual of Irrigation Engineering. By H. M. Wilson. Third edn. Revised. Illust. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1901
Irrigation in the United States. By Fred. H.
474. IRRIGATION INSTITUTIONS [Elwood Mead], 12mo, half roan, N. Y. 1903; Irrigation Farming [Lucius M. Wilcox], illust., 12mo, cloth, N. Y. 1902. 2 vols.
475. IRVING (WASHINGTON). Astoria. FIRST EDN. Map. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth (front. lacking).
476. Book of the Hudson. Collected from the various works of Diedrich Knickerbocker. Edited by Geoffrey Crayon. FIRST EDN. 12mo, unbound (stained in places). N. Y. 1849
Knickerbocker History of New York. Illusts. by Darley. Square Svo, morocco, gilt (name on title and a few margins ink-stained).
N. Y. 1852
Works. Stuyvesant edn. Steel fronts. 7 vols.
481. JAPAN. Japanese Plays and Playfellows. By Osman Edwards. 12 full-page colored plates by Japanese artists. 8vo, decorated cloth, uncut. N. Y. [Lond.] 1901
482. JESUITS. A Sequel to the Female Jesuit [Mrs. Luke]; Helen Mulgrave, or Jesuit Executorship; Stanhope Burleigh [Helen Dhu]. 3 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
483. JEVONS (FRANK BYRON). An Introduction to the History of Religion. 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1896
Nature-Worship, Fetishism, Survivals of Totemism, etc.
484. JEWISH. Sabbath Hours Thoughts [L. Adler]; Rabbi Jeshua; Sir Moses Montefiore [L. Wolf]; Christian and Leah [L. Kompert]; and others. 6 vols. crown 8vo,
485. JEWISH PEOPLE in the Time of Jesus Christ. A V History of. By Emil Schürer. Transl. (First Division, 3 vols.; Second Division, 2 vols.) Together 5 vols. 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. [recent]
The Works of Johnson, with an Essay on his Life and Genius by Arthur Murphy. 7 Library edn. Library edn. Portrait after Reynolds. 12 vols. 8vo, half russia (contemporary), gilt. Lond. 1810
Works, with an Essay on his Life and Genius.
√488. JOSEPHUS (FLAVIUS). Works. Whiston's trans-✔
nag calf, gilt.
✔490. KING (CLARENCE). Mountaineering in the Sierra
V 489. KEIM (THEO.) The History of Jesus of Nazara,
freely investigated in its connection with the national life of Israel. Transl. by Arthur Ransom and E. M. Geldart. 6 vols. 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1876-83
√493. KNOX (THOMAS W.) The Boy Travellers in N.
The Religion of Israel to the Fall of the Jewish
496. LA A FAYETTE (GENL.) Memoirs of, embracing Sketches of the American Revolution, etc. Portrait by Willard. Post 8vo, old sheep (somewhat timestained). Hartford, 1825
497. LA FONTAINE (J. DE). Tales and Novels, completely transl. into English. Portrait and plates after LANCRET. LIMITED EDITION DE LUXE. 2 vols 8vo, original buckram, gilt top edges. Lond. Privately printed, 1903
498. LAKES OF NORTH AMERICA: a Reading Lesson in Geography and Geology. By Israel C. Russell. Maps and illusts. 8vo, cloth. Bost. 1900
499. LAMB (CHAS.), Essays of Elia and Last Essays of Elia, with Introduction by Geo. E. Woodberry, vignette portrait and view, 2 vols. crown 8vo, Bost. 1892; Tales from Shakespeare, portrait. Together 3 vols. Cloth.
500. LA TROBE'S Scripture Illustrations, engravings after Porter, Morier, Belzoni, etc., 1838; Book of Common Prayer, Broeck family presentation inscription (damaged) on fly-leaf, N. Y. 1806. 2 vols.
501. LAW. Graydon's Forms of Conveyancing and of Practice. FOURTH EDN., enlarged. Royal 8vo, sheep.
502 LEA (HENRY C.) An Historical Sketch of Sacerdotal Celibacy in the Christian Church. Second edn., enlarged. Thick royal 8vo, cloth.
503. LECKY (WILLIAM E. H.) History of European Morals. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth (underscored with blue pencil). N. Y. 1879
✓501. History of the Rise and Influence of Rational-
505. LECTURES ON CHURCH HISTORY AND SERMONS [Coit], N. Y. 1859 (10 copies); The Life of Our Lord [Hanna], 5 vols. 15 vols.
506. LEVER (CHARLES)
Charles O'Malley, the Irish Dragoon. FIRST EDN. Illust. by "Phiz." 2 vols. 8vo, half calf (poor copy, one plate missing, and loose in covers). Dublin, 1841
507. LIBRARY OF USEFUL STORIES: Plants, Eclipses, Life in the Seas, Mind, Atmosphere, Solar System, Primitive Man, Stars, Germ Life, Living Machine, Alphabet. Illusts. 11 vols. 12mo, cloth. N. Y. 1898, etc. ✓508. LIBRARY NOTES [Russell], Bost. 1880; The Author's Year Book, 1902; Book Lovers' Verse [Ruddy],1899; and others. 8 vols.
509. LIFE OF JOHN QUINCY ADAMS [Seward], 1851; Biography of Henry Clay [Prentice], portrait, 1831; The Life of George Eliot [Cross], 3 vols., N. Y. 1885; and others. 9 vols.
510. LIFE OF WALTER SCOTT [McLeod], 1852; Daniel Boone and the Hunters of Kentucky [Bogart], 1854; Great Senators of the U. S. Forty Years Ago [Dyer]; and others. 10 vols.