« IndietroContinua »
638. NEW ENGLAND ALMANACKS, for 1797, by E. Thornton and E. Wilkinson; for 1799, by I. Bickerstaff; for 1800, by I. Bickerstaff. 3 vols. crown 8vo, unbound (stained). Providence: Carter & Wilkinson [1797-1800]
639. NEW ENGLAND GENEALOGY. Hinman's Catalogue of the First Puritan Settlers of the Colony of Connecticut. No. V. (Comstock-Danielson). Portraits. 8vo, original wrappers. Hartford, 1856
640. NEW ENGLAND PRIMER. The New England Primer Improved. (The cuts, some crudely colored, reengraved by J. W. Barber.) pp. 62, original paper wrappers (poor copy). Hartford, 1820 Woodcuts. 18mo, original wrappers (spotted), Bost. Mass. Sabbath School Society, 1836 Woodcuts. 18mo, original wrappers, pp 64. Bost. Mass. Sabbath School Society, 1839 643. NEW ENGLAND PRIMER IMPROVED. 16mo, unbound (commences at p. 19, sold as it is). [N.Y. 1801] Presumably the issue printed by Russel Canfield for D. Smith. . . and C. Brown. Rare.
641. pp. 64.
Woodcuts. 24mo, wrappers (soiled and wrap-
N. Y.: Published by D. D. Smith, 1822
651. Portrait of Hancock and woodcuts. 16mo,
652. NEW HAVEN. The Haven, Connecticut. Illusts.
Compiled from traditional accounts in the writer's boyhood, and verified by him in later years.
J7h Scope and Nature of University Education.
653. NEWMAN (JOHN HENRY). Discourses on the FIRST EDN.
Dublin, 1852 ✔654. NEWMARKET. The History of Newmarket, and the Annals of the Turf. By J. P. Hore. Fronts. 3 vols. 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1886
655. NEW TESTAMENT. Hausrath (Prof. A.) A History of the New Testament Times: The Time of Jesus; The Time of the Apostles. Translated by C. T. Poynting, Philip Quenzer, and L. Huxley. With Preface by Mrs. Humphry Ward. 4 vols. 8vo, cloth (margins pencil-scored). Lond. 1878-95
√656. NEW YORK. Historical Collections, relating to its
Historical Sketches of Northern New York and the Adirondack Wilderness. By Nath. B. Sylvester. 2 steel portraits. 8vo, cloth. Troy, 1877
Including Traditions of the Indians, Early Explorers, Pioneers, etc.
Ecclesiastical Records of the State. Illusts.
Revised History of Harlem, its Origin and Early Annals; also (genealogical) sketches of numerous families. By Jas. Riker. Maps and illusts. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1904
660. NINETEENTH CENTURY. The 19th Century: a review of Progress. 8vo, cloth. (2 copies.) N. Y. 1901
661. NURSE AND SPY in the Union Army [Edmonds], illust., 1865; The Boys of '61 [Coffin], illust., 1881; The Story of the Great March [Nichols], 1865; and others. 10 vols.
✓ 662. OCEANA [J. A. Froude], Prose Miscellanies from
Heine; Cozzens' The Sayings of Dr. Bushwacker; and others. 9 vols. crown 8vo, etc., cloth.
663. ODDITIES OF LONDON LIFE. By Paul Pry. 19 humorous plates by R. Cruikshank, Pierce Egan, Heath, and Wilson (3 missing, foxed). 2 vols. half calf, uncut (several pages missing). Lond. 1838 ↓
664. ODDITIES IN SOUTHERN LIFE AND CHARACTER [Henry Watterson], Mary Stuart and the Casket Letters [J. F. N.], 1870; and others. 11 vols. crown 8vo, etc., cloth.
665. OLD NOVEL. Roche (Miss R. M.) Children of the Abbey. 2 vols. crown 8vo, half morocco (both titles missing, and stained throughout). [Lond., circa 1810]
666. ORANGE CULTURE. Histoire et Culture des Orangés, par A. Risso et A. Poiteau; Nouvelle édition entièrement revue et augmentée d' un chapître nouveau par M. A. Du Breuil. 110 BEAUTIFULLY COLORED plates, and 30 text illusts. Imp. 4to, original cloth. Paris, 1872 ✓ 667. Lelong (D. M.) Culture of the Citrus in California. Illusts. 8vo, new cloth (stamp on title, and some cuttings inserted). Sacramento, 1900
668. ORANGE CULTURE IN CALIFORNIA, by Thos. A. Garey, San Francisco, 1882 (underscored with blue pencil), A. L. S., 1 p. Svo, from the author with reference to the book laid in; Hand-Book of Orange Culture in Florida, California, etc., by T. W. Moore, N. Y. 1883. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth.
669. ORIENTAL TALES. The Book of the Thousand and One Nights, 9 vols.; Tales from the Arabic, 3 vols. ; Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp, etc., now first done into by John Payne; also, Persian Letters; Tartarian Tales. Together 15 vols. 8vo, buckram, gilt tops, uncut. Lond. For Private Subscribers, 1901
670. OUR NEW WAY ROUND THE WORLD [Coffin], illust., 1869; A Ride to Khiva [Burnaby], 1877; The Tennesseean in Persia and Koordistan [Marsh], 1869; and others. 10 vols.
671. OWEN (JOHN). The Works of Owen. William H. Gould. 16 vols. in 8. Portrait.
672. PAGE (THOS. NELSON). The Burial of the
Original large-type library edition of this popular history of
675. PARKER (THEO.) Views of Religion. With an In-✓ troduction by F. Freeman Clarke. Post 8vo,cloth. Bost.1885
676. PARKES (SIR HENRY-Australian Statesman). 1815-96. A. L. S., 2 pp. 8vo, to J. G. Whittier, making an appointment. New York, Sept. 15, 1883.
/677. PARKMAN (FRANCIS). Works, including The
680. PATER (WALTER). The Renaissance; Marius the
682. PEACE AND COMMERCIAL TREATIES. Treaty of Navigation and Commerce between Anne of England and Louis XIV., 1713; Mutual Defence between Charles VI. of Germany and George I. of England, 1718; Alliance between George I. and Louis XIV., 1718; Between Great Britain and Spain, 1739; Between Great Britain and Holland, 1749; Between Great Britain and Russia, 1742; and others. Small 4to, unbound. (11 pieces.) Lond. 1713-58
683. PEAT-MOSSES. Braithwaite (Dr. R.) The Sphagnaceæ or Peat-Mosses of Europe and North America. Colored plates. Royal 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1880
684. PERCIVAL (JAS. G.) Clio. No. III. FIRST EDN.√ Crown 8vo, original boards, uncut (spotted at beginning and end). N. Y. 1827
685. PHILLIPS (WENDELL).
Speeches, Lectures, and Letters. Both Series. Both Series. Portraits. Portraits. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth (underscored with blue pencil). Bost. 1891-92 ✓ 686. PHILLIPS' ILLUSTRATIONS. The Whisky Demon; or, The Dream of the Reveller. (Words.) By Chas. Mackay. 4to, original pictorial half cloth and boards. Scarce. Lond. 1860
First edition. With the series of 12 full-page highly realistic illustrations by Watts Phillips. The finest production of the popular illustrator.
687. PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY. The Elements of Physical Chemistry. By Harry C. Jones. Thick Svo,
N. Y. 1902
A. L. S. from the author laid in.
688. "PHYSICAL CULTURE" (a Periodical), numerous illusts., Vols. 1 to 5 inclusive, 1899-1901; also, "Woman's Physical Culture," illust., Vols. 1 and 2, 1900-'01. Together 7 vols. Royal 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1899-1901
✓ 689. PHYSICS: Advanced Course. By Geo. F. Barber. V 4th edn., revised. Illust. Thick 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1893 √690. PICTURESQUE PALESTINE. Sinai and Egypt. Edited by Col. Wilson. Numerous full-page steel and wood engravings and vignettes. 2 vols. in 4. 4to, cloth.
N. Y. 
691. PLANT PHYSIOLOGY. Practical Text-Book of Plant Physiology. By Daniel T. Macdougal. Fully illust. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1901
692. PLANTS. Freaks and Marvels of Plant Life; or,
693. dolle. 694.
The Agricultural Grasses and Forage Plants of the United States. By Geo. Vasey. Fully illust. 8vo, half roan. Wash. 1889 By Sir N. Y. 1896
Origin of Cultivated Plants. By A. de Can-
The Geological History of Plants.
Lectures on the Evolution of Plants.
Morphology and Histology of Plants. By Hy.
By D. H.
N. Y. 1899
Disease in Plants. By H. M. Ward. 12mo,
a Practical TreaIllust. Post 8vo, Bost. 1903
700. PLUTARCH. Works. Lives, and Miscellanies and Essays. Transl. from the Greek by several hands and corrected and revised by Profs. A. H. Clough and Wm. M. Goodwin, with Introduction by Ralph W. Emerson. 10 vols. 8vo, cloth. Bost. 1885-88
701. PLUTARCH'S LIVES. Transl. from the original Greek, with Notes, etc., by J. and W. Langhorne. Fronts. 6 vols. 12mo, contemporary calf, gilt, geometrical design on sides in black. Edinburgh, 1811
Bookplates of Henry Boucher.