« IndietroContinua »
↓ 767. SCOTT (SIR W.) Waverley Novels. Fronts. and engraved titles with vignettes. 25 vols. 8vo, cloth, gilt top edges. (Library edn.) Edinburgh, 1887
Tales of a Grandfather.
4 vols. crown 8vo, Phil., n. d.
The Poetical Works of Scott. With the series ✔ of highly characteristic and fine steel fronts. and engraved titles by J. M. W. Turner. 12 vols. 12mo, original cloth, uncut, with the labels (some vols. unopened).
Edinburgh: Cadell, 1833
Original edition of this esteemed edition, uniform with the "Author's Favorite Edition" of his novels.
771. SECRET HISTORY. [Mirabeau (H. G. Riquetti, Comte de).] Histoire Secrete de la Cour de Berlin, ou CorMonthly margin of last leaf cut respondance d'un Voyageur François, depuis 1786 jusqu'àu
s. 1. et typ. [Paris], 1789 THE SCARCE EDITION ORIGINALE, of which all the copies discovered by the authorities were burnt.
770. SEA MOSSES: a Collector's Guide. . . . to the Study of Marine Algae. By A. B. Gervey. Colored plates. 12mo, cloth (name on title).
772. SERIOUS POEMS [Hood], Lond. 1886; Flower-deLuce [Longfellow], illust., 1867; The Poems of Thomas Bailey Aldrich, illust., 1885; and others, similar. 6 vols.
773. SHAKESPEARE. Plays, from the Steevens and Malone Text, with a Selection of Explanatory and Historical Notes; a History of the Stage, and Life of Shakespeare, by Alex. Chalmers. 8 vols. 8vo, calf extra, gilt backs. Lond. 1837
Tributes to Shakespeare, collected by M. E. Silsby; Corson's Introduction to Shakespeare; Notes on the Bacon-Shakespeare Question, by Chas. Allen. 3 vols. crown 8vo, cloth. ✓ 775.
Shakespeare and the Rival Poet. Shakespeare as a Satirist and Proving the Identity of the Patron and the Rival of the Sonnets. By Arthur Acheson. Portrait. Post 8vo, half cloth. 776. Works. With Historical and Ana-✓ 24ytical Prefaces, Explanatory Notes, and Glossaries. vols. post 8vo, half red morocco, gilt backs and tops, uncut.
N. Y. 1903
No. 107 of a limited edition, with a frontispiece to each vol., some of which are colored. Totally unused.
Works, edited by G. L. Duyckinck, plates, 1869; Historical Atlas, 141 maps, and with text [R. H. Labberton], 1885; Tennyson's Poems, illust. (names on titles), N. Y. 1870; and others. 10 vols. royal 8vo, etc.
778. SHELLEY. Percy Bysshe Shelley: an Appreciation. By Thos. R. Slicer. With bibliography illust. with facsimile title-pages. Royal 8vo, boards, uncut. N.Y. 1903
One of only 15 copies privately printed on Japan vellum and signed by the author.
✓779. SHOOTING, Boating, and Fishing for Young Sports-V men, by T. R. Warren, illust., N. Y. 1871; Gun, Rod, and Saddle, Personal Experiences, by Capt. P. Gilmore, illust., N. Y. 1869. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth.
780. SILL (EDW. ROWLAND). Poems.
The Hermitage, and Later Poems.
784. SLANG. A New Dictionary of the Terms, Ancient √ and Modern, of the Canting Crew in its several Tribes of Gypsies, Beggars, Thieves, Cheats, etc. With an Addition of Proverbs, etc. [By B. E.] Small 4to, original boards, Lond.
Facsimile reissue of the rare original edition of the earliestknown slang dictionary (about 1690), and the basis upon which Grosse, Camden Cotton, and others have built. Large Paper copy. Scarce.
785. SMALLEY (GEO. W.) Studies of Men. 8vo, cloth, uncut. N. Y. 1895
✓ 786. SMITH (ADAM). An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. Edited by James E. Thorold Rogers. Portrait. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth. Fine copy of the best edition printed at the Clarendon Press.
787. SNAKES AND REPTILES (Papers on, extracted from Smithsonian and other Publications, various species, antidotes for poisons, etc.). Illusts. Thick 8vo, cloth. [Wash., San Francisco, etc., recent]
788. SOCIALISM AND ECONOMICS. Socialism: its v Growth and Outcome, by WM. MORRIS and E. BELFORT BAX, FIRST EDN., 1893; Present Status of Social Science [R. S. Hamilton], N. Y. 1874; Present Condition of Economic Science [E. C. Lunt], N. Y. 1888; and 5 others on the same subjects. 8 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
Lectures on some of the Physical Properties of Soil. By Robert Warington. Portrait. 8vo, cloth. Oxford, 1900
790. SONGS OF LIFE, selected from many sources (favorite American and English Poets). With numerous illusts. by Darley, Hoppin, Hennessy and others. 8vo, embossed morocco, gilt edges (name on title). N. Y. 1870 ✓791. SONGS OF THE OLD SOUTH. Verses and Drawings by Howard Weeden. Characteristic old-time negro studies, full-page and some in color. 8vo, cloth, uncut.
N. Y. 1900
792. SOUTH AMERICA. The Land of the Amazons.✔ From the French. By George Humphery. Map and numerous illusts. 8vo, cloth, uncut. Lond. 1901 ✓793. SOUTHERN WAR SONGS, Camp-Fire, Patriotic ✔ and Sentimental, edited by W. L. Fagan, illusts., N. Y. 1892; Songs and Ballads of the Southern People, 1861-65, edited by Frank Moore, N. Y. 1886. 2 vols. 8vo and 16m0, cloth.
E by W. L. Fagan. Illust. 8vo, cloth.
✓795. SPENCER (HERBERT). System of Synthetic Phil-
N. Y. 1883-1902 Authorized American editions, chiefly published under the supervision of Prof. Youmans.
First Principles. Portrait.
Camp-Fire, Patriotic and Sentimental. Edited
797. SPOFFORD (HENRY SANDFORD). original black morocco (rubbed).
Crown 8vo, cloth.
Only a few copies printed for private circulation, as a mother's loving tribute to the memory of the youthful author. Presentation inscription on fly-leaf.
798. SPORTING. How to Hunt and Trap the Buffalo, Moose, etc. [J. H. Batty], tllust.; How to Camp Out [Jno. M. Gould], illust.; Camp Cookery [M. Parloa]. 3 vols. 12mo, etc.
N. Y. and Bost. 1877-78
The Dog. By Dinks, Mayhew and HutchinEdited by Frank Forester. Illust. Post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y., n. d.
800. STATESMEN OF AMERICA IN 1846 (THE), by S. M. Maury, Phil. 1847; A Voice to America, dian Journal [Lady Dufferin]; and others. 8vo, cloth.
1855; My Cana
10 vols. crown
801. STEPHEN (LESLIE). addresses to Ethical Societies.
Social Rights and Duties: 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1896
/ 802. STERNE (LAURENCE).
Works, with Account of
803. STEVENSON (R. L.) Virginibus Puerisque. 12mo, cloth. (2 copies.) N. Y. 1904
804. STEVENSON AND PARKER. Virginibus Puer-✔ isque, Across the Plains, The Merrymen, Dr. Jekyll, by R. L. Stevenson; Pierre and his People; An Adventurer of the North, A Romany of the Snows, by Gilbert Parker. Together 6 vols. Crown 8vo, cloth, gilt top edges.
N. Y. 1896-1902
805. STIRLING (JAMES H.) The Secret of Hegel-the Hegelian System in Origin, Principle, Form, and Matter. Thick 8vo, cloth. Edinburgh, 1898
806. STOICS, EPICUREANS AND SCEPTICS (THE). Transl. from the German of Dr. E. Zeller by Rev. O. J. Reichel. REVISED EDN. Post 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1892
807. STORIES AND SPEECHES OF LINCOLN, illust., ↓ Chicago, 1900 (poor copy); Life of Maj.-Gen. David Bell Birney, 1867; The Life of Geo. Dashiell Bayard [Bayard], 1874; Inside the White House in War Times [Stoddard], 1892; and others. 8 vols.
✓ 808. STORY of the Philippines [Halstead]; The Pacific Railroads and Colorado; The Peterkin Papers [Hale]; and others. 10 vols. small 4to, etc., cloth.
809. STRAUSS (DAVID F.) The Life of Jesus, critically examined. Transl. Thick 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1902
810. STRONG (MRS. ISABEL-Stepdaughter and amanu- √ ensis of R. L. Stevenson). A. L. S. 2 pages, 8vo. Extremely interesting. Refers to her separation from Mr. Strong, her fondness for Stevenson's library, and writing to his dictation as the happiest hours of her life. Honolulu, Jan. 1, 1896.
✓ 811. SUCKLING (SIR JOHN). Works, containing his
812. SURREY OF EAGLE'S NEST [J. E. Cooke]; The Hireling and the Slave, and other Poems [W. J. Grayson]; and others (some in poor condition). 9 vols.
813. SYMONDS (J. ADDINGTON). Sketches and Studies in Italy and Greece. Front. 3 vols. post 8vo, original cloth. Lond. 1900
A Biography of Symonds. By Horatio F.
815. SWIFT (JONATHAN). The Tale of a Tub, etc. Edited by Henry Morley. 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1889
816. TAL ALES TOLD AT TWILIGHT [Kath. M. Iliffe], ✓ illust.; Proverbial Sayings; Some Old Friends in New Dresses, colored comic illusts. by Gordon Browne; Young George [Edith Farmiloe], colored illusts. 3 vols. small 4to, boards. N. Y. [recent]
817. TENNYSON (ALFRED). (Biographies.) By A. Lang and Sir Alfred Lyall. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth. N.Y.1901-02 818. TENNYSON, RUSKIN, BROWNING. Records of. By Anne Thackeray Ritchie. Portraits and illusts. 8vo, cloth, uncut. N. Y. Harper, 1892 819. THACKERAY (W. M.) Works. Illusts. by the Author, Geo. Cruikshank, F. Barnard, and others. vols. crown 8vo, original green cloth.
26 Lond. 1878-91
820. THEOLOGY. Elton on the Colossians, 1620; Book of Common Prayer, edited by Dr. J. M. Wainwright, numerous wood engravings and historiated initials, N. Y. 1843; and others. 5 vols. folio, Svo, etc.
Twenty-five Sermons of Twenty-five Years
[Wm. J. Potter]; Israel among the Nations [Leroy-Beaulieu]; Jesus and Modern Life [Savage]; and others. 6 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
Muhlenberg's Evangelical Catholic Papers,
2 vols.; Barnum's Romanism as It Is; Spiritualism, by Judge Edmonds and Dr. Dexter; Soul and Spirit [D. Thom]; and others. 7 vols. 8vo, cloth.
Allen (J. H.), Christian History, 3 vols.; Our Liberal Movement in Theology; Sequel to Our Liberal Movement; and others.
7 vols. 12mo, cloth.
Hours of Thought on Sacred Things [Mar
tineau]; Hymns of Faith and Life [Hunter]; Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History; and others.
10 vols. 12mo, etc.,
Wesley's Sermons, 2 vols.; Fletcher's (of Made
Clay) Works, 4 vols. ; and others. 11 vols. 8vo, calf.