« IndietroContinua »
LOWELL (JAMES RUSSELL).
370. The Atlantic Almanac for 1869. (With "My Garden Acquaintance," by Lowell; and "Talk Concerning the Human Body and its Management," by Holmes.) Illust. Royal 8vo, wrappers, uncut. Bost.: Ticknor and Fields  371. Under the Willows. FIRST EDN. 12mo, original cloth (name erased from title).
Bost. Fields, Osgood and Co., 1869 First issue of the first edition, with slip of errata. The only issue to contain it.
372. Under the Willows. Second Issue. 12mo, original cloth. Bost. Fields, Osgood and Co., 1869 From the library of Henry Ward Beecher, with his booklabel.
The Poetical Works. Complete edn. 18mo, Bost. Fields, Osgood & Co., 1869 Among My Books. FIRST EDN. 12mo, origBost. Fields, Osgood & Co., 1870 Laid in is an A. L. S., 2 pp, 8vo, from Lowell to S. D. Ward making an arrangement for lecturing.
375. The Cathedral. FIRST EDN. Vignettes. 12mo, original cloth. Bost. Fields, Osgood & Co., 1870 376. My Study Windows. FIRST EDN. 12mo, original cloth. Fine copy. Bost.: James R. Osgood & Co., 1871
377. [-] Prophetic Voices concerning America. A Monograph by Chas. Sumner. (With Letters by Lowell, Emerson, Bryant, Whittier, etc.) Portrait. 12mo, original cloth. Bost. Lea & Shepard, 1874 Cambridge in the "Centennial": Proceedings, July 3rd, 1875, in Celebration of the Centennial Anniversary of Washington taking Command of the Continental Army on Cambridge Common (with Poems by Lowell and Holmes). Frontispiece. 8vo, original wrappers, pp. 127. Cambridge: Printed by Order of the City Council, 1875 Among My Books. Second Series. FIRST EDN. 12mo, original cloth. Bost. James R. Osgood & Co., 1876 380. Proceedings at the Centennial Celebration of the Concord Fight, April 19th, 1875 (with Ode by Lowell, Address by Emerson, Oration by G. W. Curtis, and Letter from Whittier). Illust. Royal 8vo, original wrappers, uncut, pp. 176. Concord, Mass.: Published by the Town, 1876 381. My Study Windows. Second Series. FIRST 12mo, original cloth (cloth a little soiled).
Bost. James R. Osgood & Co., 1876
With the autograph of Luigi Monti, Professor at Harvard University, and with interesting critical marginal notes in ink on the Essay on Dante, in his autograph.
LOWELL (JAMES RUSSELL).
382. Poetical Works (newly revised). Household edn. 12mo, half calf, gilt. Bost. James R. Osgood & Co., 1876
383. Old South Meeting-House. Report of a Meeting of the Inhabitants of Cambridge in Memorial Hall, Harvard College, Jan. 18th, 1877 (with Address by Lowell). 8vo, original wrappers, pp. 29.
Bost. Press of George H. Ellis, 1877 384. Tribute of the Massachusetts Historical Society to the Memory of Edmund Quincy and John Lothrop Motley (with Addresses by Lowell and Holmes). 8vo, original wrappers, uncut, pp. 30. Bost.: Mass. Historical Society, 1877 385. Life of E. A. Poe. By Win. F. Gill. FIRST EDN. Illusts. 12mo, original cloth.
Bost. Wm. F. Gill & Co., 1877 Letters by Lowell, Longfellow, Poe, and others, now first published. 386. Three Memorial Poems. FIRST EDN. 12mo, original cloth, gilt. Bost. James R. Osgood & Co., 1877
387. [) A Masque of Poets. (A Collection of original Poems by fifty authors, including Lowell, E. C. Stedman, Aldrich, and Thoreau.) 12mo, original cloth.
Bost. Roberts Bros., 1878
Library label of F. W. Halsey.
388. The Rose. FIRST SEPARATE EDN. Illust. Square 12mo, original cloth, gilt edges (some pp. loose). Bost. James R. Osgood & Co., 1878
389. Death of President Garfield. Meeting of Americans in London at Exeter Hall, Sept. 24, 1881. Photo. portrait. Square 8vo, original cloth, gilt top edge, otherwise entirely uncut. Lond.: Benjamin Franklin Stevens, 1881 The genuine First Edition, printed on hand-made paper. There was a later issue on inferior paper, bound in paper covers, with trimmed edges. Includes an address by Lowell, who, it is now known, was also responsible for the Preface.
390. On Democracy. An Address delivered in the Town Hall, Birmingham, 6th of October, 1884. 8vo, paper, stitched. Birmingham (Eng.): Printed by Cond Bros.
First edition. Rare.
391.  Wensley, and other Stories. By Edmund Quincy. Edited by his Son. (With Poem, "Bankside," by Lowell.) Post 8vo, original cloth.
Bost. Jas. R. Osgood & Co., 1885 Presentation copy from the Editor to Parke Godwin,
Fifth Annual Report of the Dante Society, May 18th, 1886. (With an Essay on Dante by Lowell, reprinted from Appleton's Encyclopædia.) Svo, original Cambridge: John Wilson & Son, 1886
LOWELL (JAMES RUSSELL).
393. Proceedings at the Dedication of the New Library Building, Chelsea, Mass., Dec. 22, 1885, with the Address by Lowell. Front. 8vo, original wrappers, pp. 33. Cambridge: John Wilson & Son, 1886
394. Address before the New York Reform Club, April, 1888, in the "Civil-Service Reformer" for May, 1888 (afterwards published as "The Independent in Politics, and from which it differs slightly). 4to, original wrappers. Balt. 1888
Report of the Proceedings at the Dinner given by the Society of Authors to American Men and Women of Letters at the Criterion Restaurant, July 25th, 1888 (with Address by Lowell, pp. 18-25). 8vo, original wrappers, pp. 47. Lond. Society of Authors, 1888 396. The Independent in Politics. FIRST EDN. 12mo, original wrappers, pp. 27. N. Y.: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1888 397. Heartsease and Rue. FIRST EDN. Portrait. 12mo, half cloth, gilt top, uncut.
Bost. and N. Y.: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1888 The English Poets; Lessing, Rousseau; Essays, with an apology for a preface. FIRST EDN. 12mo, original cloth. Lond. W. Scott, 1888 399. Political Essays. FIRST EDN. Post 8vo, original cloth, uncut.
Bost. and N. Y.: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1888 Only a few copies were issued uncut, and with the paperlabel. 400. 'The Civil-Service Record" for Dec., 1889, containing an Address by Lowell never reprinted. 4to, original wrappers. Bost.: Civil-Service Reform Assoc., 1889 401. My Brook, with drawings by Wilson de Meza. Supplement to the "New York Ledger" of Dec. 13th, 1890. Folio, paper, pp. 4. N. Y. 1890
402.  The Art of Authorship; Literary Reminiscences, Methods of Work, and Advice to Young Beginners. Personally conducted by leading authors of the day (Lowell, Holmes, Harte, etc.). Compiled and edited by George Bainton. FIRST EDN. Post 8vo, original cloth, uncut. Lond. James Clarke & Co., 1890
403.  The Story of the Memorial Fountain to Shakespeare at Stratford-on-Avon. Edited by L. Clarke Davis. FIRST EDN. Portrait and view of the Shakespeare Fountain at Stratford. Post 8vo, original cloth, gilt top, uncut (back soiled). Cambridge: Printed at the Riverside Press, 1890 Contains Letters by Lowell and Whittier, and a Poem by Holmes. Only a small number of copies privately printed.
LOWELL (JAMES RUSSELL).
Latest Literary Essays and Addresses.
Bost. and N. Y.: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1892
405. What American Authors think about International Copyright (with Letters from Lowell, Holmes, Longfellow and Whittier). Facsimiles of autos. 8vo, stitched, pp. 15. N. Y.: American Copyright League, 1888 Laid in is an A. L. S. from E. C. Stedman, 4 pp. 8vo, 1892, giving his views.
406. American Ideas for English Readers. With Introduction by Henry Stone. FIRST EDN. Portrait. Narrow 12mo, original cloth. Bost. J. G. Cupples Co.  FIRST EDN. The Old English Dramatists. Portrait of the author. Post 8vo, original cloth, gilt top, uncut. Bost. and N. Y.: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1892 408.. Last Poems. FIRST EDN. Portrait. 12mo, original cloth, uncut.
Bost. and N. Y.: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1895 James Russell Lowell and his Friends, by Edward Everett Hale. FIRST EDN. Portraits, facsimiles, and other illusts. 8vo, original cloth, gilt top edge, otherwise uncut. Bost. and N. Y.: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1899 Impressions of Spain, compiled by Joseph B. Gilder; with an Introduction by A. A. Adee. FIRST EDN. Portrait. Post 8vo, original half vellum, gilt top, uncut. Bost. and N. Y.: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., 1899 The William Harris Arnold Company, with book-label. 411. Music Auf Weider-sehn-"We Meet Again." by H. J. Schonacker; words by Lowell. Music sheets. 4to.
DONALD GRANT MITCHELL,
412. MITCHELL (D. G.-"Ik Marvel "). The Battle Summer. FIRST EDN. Front. and engraved title. Post Svo, cloth (poor copy, stained).
N. Y. Baker & Scribner, 1850 413. [- -] Reveries of a Bachelor. A Book of the Heart. FIRST EDN. Front. and vignette by Darley. 12mo, original cloth. N. Y. Baker & Scribner, 1850
414. [-] Dream Life. FIRST EDN. Front. by Darley. 12mo, original cloth (somewhat foxed).
N. Y. Charles Scribner, 1851 With A. L. S. of the author inserted.
MITCHELL (D. G.)
Fresh Gleanings (with Preface now first published). 12mo, original cloth. N. Y.: Charles Scribner, 1851 416.  The Lorgnette; or, Studies of the Town. By An Opera Goer. Illusts. by Darley. 2 vols. 12mo, original cloth. N. Y.: Stringer & Townsend, 1851 Fourth edition, with Preface now first published.
417. Fudge Doings. FIRST EDN. Fronts. by Darley. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth (covers soiled and some pp. dampstained). N. Y. Chas. Scribner, 1855 Seven Stories with Basement and Attic. FIRST 12mo, original cloth and label, uncut (back faded). N. Y. Chas. Scribner, 1864 419. Wet Days at Edgewood. FIRST EDN. Crown 8vo, original cloth (badly stained in several places, damaging the paper in a few instances).
N. Y. Charles Scribner, 1865 420.  Rural Studies. FIRST EDN. 12mo, original cloth (title very slightly stained).
N. Y. 1867
About Old Story-Tellers. FIRST EDN. Illusts. 12mo, original cloth. N. Y.: Scribner, Armstrong & Co., 1878
GEORGE POPE MORRIS,
422. MORRIS (GEORGE P.) The Little Frenchman and his Water Lots, with other Sketches of the Times. FIRST EDN. Etchings by Johnson. Crown 8vo, original cloth (embossed name stamp on title).
Phil. Lea & Blanchard, 1839 EDGAR ALLAN POE, 1809-1849.
423. [POE (EDGAR ALLAN).] The Baltimore Book for 1838. A Christmas and New Year's Present. (With "Siope, a Fable," by Poe.) Plates. Post Svo, stamped leather, gilt (title loose). Balt. Bayly & Burns, 1838
424. The Gift: a Christmas and New Year's Present for 1842. Plates. Crown 8vo, original calf, extra (binding loose, some leaves stained and two plates lacking).
Phil. Carey & Hart  "Eleonora: a Fable," by E. A. Poe, was first published here.
LYDIA HUNTLEY SIGOURNEY,
425. SIGOURNEY (MRS. L. H.) Pocahontas, and other Poems. FIRST EDN. Front. and engraved title. Post 8vo, original cloth (few margins slightly stained). N. Y.: Harper & Brothers, 1841