« IndietroContinua »
549. SOUTHERN WAR SONGS, Camp-Fire, Patriotic and Sentimental. Edited by W. L. Fagan. Illusts. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1892
/ 550. SOUTHGATE (HENRY). Many Thoughts of Many Minds. 8vo, full calf, gilt edges, long out of print. Scarce. Lond. 1865
551. SPECTATOR (THE). By Addison and Steele. Vols. 1 and 3 to 6. 5 vols. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1853 ✓552. STAFFORDSHIRE (ENG.). Place Names. Notes on. By W. H. Duignan. 12mo, cloth. Lond. 1902
✓553. STERNE (LAURENCE). Works, with Account of Life and Writings of the Author. Plates after HOGARTH and BUNBURY. 8 vols. 12mo, old tree calf, gilt. Lond. 1790 Bookplates of P. Sutton.
Letters to his most Intimate Friends. En- v graved title and front., after Stothard. 8vo, old calf, gilt (name on title). [Lond. 1798]
✓ 555. STEVENSON (ROBERT LOUIS). Black Canyon, Not I, and other Stories. Facsimile reprint of the rare A original. Printed on Japanese vellum paper. Only 100 issued. 16mo, half cloth, with ties.
N. Y. 1899
556. STEVENSON AND PARKER, Virginibus Puerisque, Across the Plains, The Merrymen, Dr. Jekyll, by R. L. Stevenson; Pierre and his People, An Adventure of the North, A Romany of the Snows, by Gilbert Parker. Together 6 vols. Crown 8vo, cloth, gilt top edges.
N. Y. 1896-1902
The Girl at Cobhurst.
559. STODDARD (R. H.) Songs of Summer. FIRST
Fine copy, with presentation slip of Epes Sargent in his autograph, inserted.
✓560. STUDIES IN MODERN SOCIALISM [Brown], 1886; Science and Sentiment [Porter], 1882; Life of Robert Haydon [Tom Taylor], 2 vols., 1853; People's Book of Biography [Parton], numerous portraits, 1868; and others.
561. SUMMERING IN COLORADO, illust., 1874; The Yosemite Guide Book, illust., 1870; William H. Seward's Travels around the World, illust., half morocco, 1873; and others. 15 vols.
✓562. TAINE (HENRI).
Italy: Rome and Naples. Transl. by Jno. Durand. 8vo, cloth. 1868 Italy: Florence and Venice. Transl. 8vo, N. Y. 1869
✔564. TASSO (TORQ.) Jerusalem Delivered: an Heroic
✓565. TAYLOR (BAYARD). Travels in Greece and
India, China and Japan; Africa; Views A-Foot; Eldorado, with colored views; Lands of the Saracen; Essays and Notes. Together 6 vols. Crown 8vo, half roan (one in cloth). N. Y. 1855-80
Travels. California and Mexico; Africa; India,
569. THACKERAY (W. M.) The Newcomes; Philip; v The Virginians. In 6 vols. 16mo, half cloth. Lond. 1886
570. THIERS. The Government of M. Thiers, from 8th. February, 1871, to 24th May, 1873. From the French of M. Jules Simon. 2 vols. crown 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1879
✓ 571. THOMSON (CHARLES-Secretary of the Conti-
572. THOMSON (JAS.) The Seasons; with Life and Notes. Numerous vignettes. Small 4to, half morocco, gilt. Lond. 1847 573. THOMSON (W. M.) The Land and the Book: Biblical Illustrations of the Holy Land. Illust. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1876 Life, Letters and Journals FIRST EDN. Portraits. 2 Bost. 1876
574. TICKNOR (GEORGE). of (edited by Geo. S. Hillard). vols. 8vo, cloth.
575. TID-BITS FROM ALL SOURCES. A Weekly Periodical (Vol. I.-Nos. 1 to 26, Aug. 23, 1884; Feb'y 14,
Han 1885). Numerous humorous illusts. 4to, stitched. (26
Nos. as a lot.)
N. Y. 1884-'85
/577. TRAVEL. Francis (H. E.) Land Fragmentary Letters. Illust.
Across the Meridians, v Imp. Svo, cloth. Privately printed] 1887 PRESENTATION COPY, with author's inscription.
576. TORNADOES. Redfield (W. C.) On Whirlwind
✓ 578. TREATY OF GHENT (THE). (Reprinted from the magazine of American History, Nov. 1888.) Small 4to, wrappers. (34 copies, as a lot.)
✓ 579. TRUE AND THE BEAUTIFUL (THE), [Ruskin], 1877; James Hannington-History of his Life and Work [Dawson], 1887; John Todd, the Story of his Life, 1876; Silas Marner [Eliot]; and others. 20 vols.
580. TRUMBULL (BENJ., D. D.) General History of the United States of America, 1492-1792. Vol. I. (all published), exhibiting events from 1492-1765. 8vo, old calf (rubbed, and stained throughout). Bost. 1810 √581. TRUMBULL (JOHN). M'Fingal: an Epic Poem. With Introduction and Notes by B. J. Lossing. Portrait. Imp. 8vo, half morocco, uncut. N. Y. Putnam, 1860
One of a LIMITED ISSUE on LARGE PAPER.
✓582. TURKEY. By James Baker.
2 maps and Index. N. Y. 1877
583. TYLER (ROBERT OGDEN). Memoir of Brevet Major-Gen. R. O. Tyler, with his Journal of Two Months' Travel in British and Farther India. Printed for private circulation. Portrait. Imp. 8vo, cloth. Auto. pres. copy from R. O. T. Phil. 1878
584. UNITED STATES BOOK, or Interesting Events in the History of the U. S. Compiled by J. W. Barber. Full-length portrait of Washington, and plates of historical incidents. 12mo, calf (rubbed, and little stained). New Haven, 1834 Various Issues of By John J. Knox. N. Y. 1884 586. UNIVERSAL HISTORY: the Oldest Historical Group of Nations and the Greeks. By Leopold von Ranke. Transl. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1885
585. U. S. NOTES. A History of the Paper Money by the U. S. Government. Facsimiles. 8vo, cloth.
✓587. VERNE (JULES), A Voyage Round the WorldIn Search of the Castaways, illust., Phil. 1874; The Expiration of the World, illust., N. Y. 1879; Denovan's The Heavens and the Earth, illust. 3 vols. 8vo, cloth, etc.
588. VIRGIL. The Eneid, translated into English Verse by John Conington. Crown 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1867
589. VIRGINIA. Official Letters of Alex. Spotswood, Lieut.-Gov. of the Colony of Virginia, 1710-22, now first printed. Portrait. Royal 8vo, paper, uncut. (Va. Hist. Soc. Pub.). Richmond, 1872 ✓590. VOLTAIRE. Works: a contemporary version, with Notes by Smollett; revised and modernized new translations by Wm. F. Fleming, and an Introduction by Oliver H. G. Leigh; a Critique and a Biography by Rt. Hon. John Morley. 43 vols. (including INDEX). 168 plates, comprising reproductions of rare old engravings, etc. 8vo, three-quarter morocco, gilt top edges (Index in buckram).
N. Y. Dumont [1901-3] ALL STREET. Fowler (Wm. W.) Ten Years in Wall Street; or, Revelations of Inside Life and Experience on 'Change. Illust. by A. Lumley. 8vo, cloth. Hartford, 1870 ✓592. WALTON (ISAAC) AND COTTON (CHAS). The Complete Angler. Memoirs and Notes by Sir Harris Nicolas. Engraved portrait and title and numerous illusts. after Stothard and Inskipp. Post 8vo, cloth. Lond.: Chatto, 1875
593. WARD FAMILY. A Memoir of Lieut.-Colonel
✓ 595. WASHBURNE (E. B.) Recollections of a Minister
N. Y. 1887
596. WASHINGTON (GEO.) Life of. By John Marshall.
597. The Writings of Washington, being his Corre-
Handsome set of the SCARCE LARGE PAPER EDITION,
598. Life of George Washington. Irving. FIRST EDNS. of all the volumes. fine portraits. 4 vols. 8vo, original cloth.
✓599. WEALTH OF NATIONS (THE) [Adam Smith]; Lombard Street, a Description of the Money Market, 1873 [Bagehot]; America before Europe [Gasparin], 1862; and others. 12 vols.
600. WEBSTER (DANIEL). Life of Webster. By Geo. Ticknor Curtis. Library edn. Portraits. 2 vols. 8vo, half
morocco. Fine copy.
N. Y. 1870
Great Speeches and Orations of. With an
602. WEBSTER (NOAH). A Collection of Papers on Political, Literary, and Moral Subjects. FIRST EDN. 8vo, cloth (one cover damp-stained). N. Y. 1843
✓ 603. WEST POINT. History of the Battle Monument at
✓ 604. WEST VIRGINIA: its Farms A and Oil-Wells, etc. By J. R. Dodge.
605. WHITTIER (JOHN G.) The With an Introduction by Whittier. cloth.
In War Time, etc.
Poetical and Prose Works. Portrait. 5 vols.
✓ 606. Anal cloth.
Am post 8vo, cloth, gilt tops. Bost.
and Forests, Mines v Post 8vo, cloth.
Patience of Hope.
608. WILBERFORCE (WILLIAM). Life of. By R. I. and S. Wilberforce. 5 vols. post 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1839
609. WILKES (CHAS.) Narrative of the U. S. Exploring Expedition, 1838-42. Maps and numerous fine engravings. 5 vols. decorated sheep, gilt. Phil. 1849
610. WILSON (PROF. JOHN-" Christopher North "). Works. Edited by his son-in-law, Prof. Ferrier. Portrait. 11 vols. (should be 12, Vol. 11 missing) crown 8vo, original cloth. Edinburgh, 1865
611. WOMAN'S HANDIWORK IN MODERN HOMES [Harrison], illust., 1881; Titian (Life, etc.) [Heath], illust., 1879; Raphael (Life, etc.) [D'Anvers], illust., 1879; The English Annual, edited by Mrs. Norton, illust., 1834; and others. 20 vols.