« IndietroContinua »
65. BINDINGS. One Hundred and Seventy-six Historic and Artistic Bookbindings. Reproduced from originals in the library of Robt. Hoe, some of the plates being in gold and colors. 2 vols. folio, in sheets, unbound.
New York: Dodd, Mead, 1895 JAPAN PAPER COPY OF ONE OF THE FINEST WORKS EVER ISSUED ON BOOKBINDINGS. Included are the works of Le Gascon, Padeloup, TrautzBauzonnet, Derome, Duru, Bozerian, Roger Payne, Clovis Eve and others. Some of the vols. were from the libraries of Grolier, De Thou, Charles V, Marie Antoinette, Du Barry, Mme. Du Pompadour, etc. 66. BOOK-PRICES CURRENT. [English.] For the Years 1886 to 1907, including the 2 Indexes, for the Years 1886 to 1906. Together 23 vols. 8vo, 2 vols. in half morocco and the remainder in cloth.
London: Eliot Stock, 1886-1907
67. BORDEN. Catalogue of the Printed Books, Manuscripts, Autograph Letters, etc. Collected by Matthew C. D. Borden. Frontispieces. 2 vols. 4to, half blue levant morocco, gilt edges, by Stikeman.
New York, 1910 One of 50 copies privately printed. With the bookplate of Mr. Borden, engraved by E. D. French in each volume. 68. BRINLEY AMERICANA CATALOGUE. Catalogue of the American Library of George Brinley. With the printed prices and Inder. Bound in 4 vols. 8vo, buckram, red leather labels.
Hartford & Boston, 1878-'93 This valuable catalogue covers such an extraordinarily wide range and is so ably annotated throughout, that it comprises practically a whole bibliographical library in itself. 69. BRUNET (J.-C.). Manuel Du Libraire et De l'Amateur de Livres : Un Nouveau Dictionnaire Bibliographique, etc. Numerous facsimiles. 6 vols. 8vo, half red morocco (edges somewhat rubbed).
70. CAILLEAU'S DICTIONNAIRE BIBLIOGRAPHIQUE, Historique et Critique des Livres Rares, Precieux, etc. 3 vols, and supplement. Together 4 vols. 8vo, half morocco. Paris, 1790-1802
Compiled by the Abbé du Clos and Mr. Brunet. Bookplate of Thos. Forrest Betton.
71. CATALOGUE of the Magnificent Library of Howard T. Goodwin, of Phila. Facsimiles. Printed prices. 8vo, half red morocco.
72. CURIOSA. Bibliotheca Arcana, seu Catalogus Librorum Penetralium. (Bibliography of Books that have been secretly printed, prohibited by law, seized, anathematized, burnt or Bowdlerised.) Notes in English, etc. Small 4to, half roan, uncut.
73. EARLY ENGLISH LITERATURE. Hazlitt (W. C.). Hand-Book of the Popular, Poetical and Dramatic Literature of Great Britain from the invention of printing to the Restoration. Thick 8vo, half roan (pp. 701).
74. Catalogue of Books by English Authors, who have lived before the Year 1700, forming part of the library of Robert Hoe. Facsimile title-pages, etc. 5 vols. 8vo, half green crushed levant, gilt tops, uncut.
New York, 1903-'05 ONLY 100 COPIES PRIVATELY PRINTED ON FRENCH HANDMADE PAPER. This catalogue was printed for Mr. Hoe before his death and in it are given the most minute descriptions, collations and variations of all the great and small productions of the English authors who lived before 1700. Subsequent catalogues did not contain any collations, hence are of very little consequence. The present volumes comprise one of the most useful
and valuable bibliographies on the subject. 75. EARLY ENGLISH POETRY. [Griffiths (A. F.).] Bibliotheca Anglo-Poetica; or A Descriptive Catalogue of a Rare and Rich Collection of Early English Poetry. (Copiously annotated.) Neat woodcuts. 8vo, half red morocco, gilt, many leaves uncut.
London, 1815 A very important and useful work of reference. The collection was formed by Thomas Hill.
76. EARLY MASSACHUSETTS PRESS. Littlefield (Geo. E.). The Early Massachusetts Press, 1638-1711. Numerous facsimiles. 2 vols. 8vo, half crimped leather, uncut. Boston, 1907
Club of Odd Volumes Publication. Only 175 copies printed.
77. EARLY MUSICAL HISTORY IN AMERICA. Sonneck (O. G.). Francis Hopkinson, the First American Poet-Composer (1737-'91) and James Lyon, Patriot, Preacher, Psalmodist (1735'94). Two Studies in Early American Music. Illustrations. Tall 8vo, cloth, uncut.
Washington, 1905 PRIVATELY PRITED. ONLY 200 COPIES. 78. EARLY PRINTING. Hansard (T. C.). Typographia : An Historical Sketch of the Origin and Progress of the Art of Printing, with a description of Lithography, etc. Portraits, facsimiles, etc. Thick 8vo, half cloth, pp. 939. London, 1825
79. EARLY VOYAGEURS. Muller (Frederik). Memoire Bibliographique sur les Journaux des Navigateurs Néerlandais (De Bry, Hulsius, etc.). Thick paper. Thick 8vo, paper (back loose and facsimiles out).
Amsterdam, 1867 80. ENGLISH LITERATURE, MSS., etc. Catalogue of the Valuable Collection of Books, MSS., Letters, etc., of Sir Wm. Tite. Neatly lined and priced in ink. 8vo, half morocco. London, 1874
81. ENGRAVED BRITISH PORTRAITS. Bromley (H.). A Catalogue of Engraved British Portraits (of historical, eccentric and conspicuous characters, from Egbert the Great), with Biographical and Genealogical Notices, etc. Copious inderes. 4to, half brown levant morocco, gilt top.
82. ENGRAVED PORTRAITS OF WASHINGTON. Hart (Chas. IIenry). Catalogue of the Engraved Portraits of Washington. Mezzotint frontispiece by S. Arlent Edwards and nu
merous fine full-page reproductions. 4to, half vellum and boards, uncut.
New York, 1904 Grolier Club Publication. One of 425 copies on hand-made paper. 83. EXTRA ILLUSTRATIONS. An Account of Some Books containing Extra Illustrations in a Private Library. Illustrations. 8vo, cloth, uncut (upper blank margin of one interior leaf torn away).
Troy, N. Y.: For the Author, 1874 Only 25 copies printed on fine paper. Notes on prints, old book-collectors, etc. Rare.
84. FIRMIN-DIDOT COLLECTION. Catalogue Illustré des Livres Precieux, Manuscrits et Imprimés, etc. Fine full-page illustrations of early MSS. and fine bindings, some illuminated in colors and in tint. Royal 8vo, cloth, uncut (lacks p. 219).
Paris, 1878 85. GENEALOGY AND HERALDRY. Moule (Thomas) . Bibliotheca Heraldica Magnæ Britanniæ. An Analytical Catalogue of Books on Genealogy, Heraldry, Nobility, Knighthood, Ceremonies, etc. Illustrations, Portrait and clipping inserted. 8vo, half russia (joints rubbed).
London, 1822 86. GRAY (GEORGE J.). A Bibliography of the Works of Sir Isaac Newton. Second Edition, enlarged. Frontispiece. Small 4to, half buckram.
87. HAMILTON PALACE LIBRARIES. Catalogue of the Library of William Beckford (Parts 1 to 4, complete); (and) Catalogue of The Hamilton Library (formed by the Duke of Hamilton). The five parts bound together in 2 vols. Imp. 8vo, buckram, uncut.
London: Sotheby's, 1882-'84 LARGE AND FINE PAPER COPY, WITH THE PRINTED PRICES TO ALL PARTS. This was one of the most magnificent collections of books ever dispersed in England. 88. HANDWRITING. Kopp (U. F.). Palæographia Critica. Numerous folding plates of facsimiles, etc. 2 vols. 4to, half buckram (lib. stamped).
Mannheim, 1817 89. HARRISSE (HENRY). Christopher Columbus and the Bank of St. George (in Genoa). Two Letters addressed to Samuel L. M. Barlow, Esq. Full-page facsimiles. 4to, half morocco, uncut.
New York, 1878 ONE OF ONLY 150 COPIES PRIVATELY PRINTED FOR MR. Barlow and presentation copy from him to Paul Fuller. 90. - Bibliotheca Americana Vetustissima. A Description of Works relating to America published between the Years 1492 and 1551. 4to, in sheets, unbound, uncut. New York: Philes, 1866
LARGE PAPER. ONLY 99 COPIES SO PRINTED. «« The best and most useful bibliographical essay in existence upon the early literature relating to the New World''-Quaritch. 91. [-] Bibliotheca Americana Vetustissima. A Description of Works relating to America between the Years 1492 and 1551.
Additions. Facsimile engravings. Imp. 8vo, half russia (back strip missing-covers loose).
Paris, 1872 “Contains 186 articles, two-thirds of which are new to collectors of books that relate to the New World’l-Sabin.
92. HORNE (THOS. H.). An Introduction to the Study of Bibliography. Plates. 2 vols. in one, 8vo, russia, gilt (one joint cracked).
London, 1814 93. INDIANS. Pilling (James C.). Bibliographies of the Iro quoian, Muskhogean, Algonquian and Chinookan Languages. Illustrations of rare titles, etc. Together 4 vols. 8vo, paper, uncut.
94. INDIAN TREATIES. De Puy (H. F.). A Bibliography of the English Colonial Treaties, with the American Indians. Numerous facsimiles. 8vo, buckram, uncut. ONLY 125 COPIES PRINTED.
New York: Lenox Club, 1917
95. ITALIAN BIBLIOGRAPHY. Passano (G.). Novellieri Italiani in Prosa. Facsimile of the first page of the 1471 edition of Boccaccio's Decameron. 8vo, half morocco, uncut.
Milano, 1864 96. LEGAL BIBLIOGRAPHY, A Short View of, by R. W. Bridgman. 8vo, boards, uncut, pp. 429.
London, 1807 “The best English work existing on the period embraced. Very scarce."
97. LINCOLNIANA. Smith (Wm. II., Jr.). A Priced Lincoln Bibliography. Svo, cloth.
New York, 1906 98. CHURCH CATALOGUE OF AMERICANA AND ENGLISH LITERATURE. A Catalogue of Books relating to the Discovery and Early History of North and South America. Numerous facsimiles. 5 vols ;-[also] A Catalogue of Books consisting of English Literature and Miscellanea. Forming the Library of E. D. Church. Compiled by G. W. Cole. Facsimiles. 2 vols. Together 7 vols. Imp. 8vo, buckram, and labels, uncut.
New York, 1907-1909 This copy belonged to MR. LUTHER S. LIVINGSTON (who had handled practically every book in the collection) and it has his marginal MS. notes on some of the leaves.
Perhaps in no other work of its kind have the various items included been described with such painstaking thoroughness and after such exhaustive research. Copious bibliographical accounts of each book are given, as well as the fullest collations, measurements, census of copies, etc., and practically every book in the collection has its title-page reproduced in facsimile. To the student and advanced collector, these features are of inestimable value. ONLY 150 COPIES PRINTED ON HAND-MADE
99. MANUSCRIPTS. Champollion (M. A.). Palæographie des Classiques Latins. Large full-page facsimiles of original classic Manuscripts from the 4th century, reproduced in their original colors, etc. (With historical text.) Folio, boards, uncut.
100. MENZIES CATALOGUE. Sabin (Jos.). Catalogue ci the Books, MSS., and Engravings of Wm. Menzies of New York, Neatly priced in ink. 8vo, half black morocco, uncut.
New York, 1875 101. NAVAL BIBLIOGRAPHY. Harbeck (Chas. T.). A Contribution to the Bibliography of the History of the United States Navy. Imp. 8vo, cloth and label.
Cambridge: Privately Printer, 1906 102. NEW ENGLAND PRIMER. Ford (Paul L.). The New England Primer: A History of its Origin and Development. Numerous facsimiles of title-pages, etc. Sq. 8vo, half crimped leather, gilt, uncut.
New York: Dodd, Mead, 1897 ONE OF ONLY 57 COPIES ON JAPAN VELLUM PAPER.
103. NEWPORT IMPRINTS. Hammett (Chas. E., Jr.). A Contribution to the Bibliography and Literature of Newport, R. I. Frontispiece. 4to, paper, uncut. Newport : For the Author, 1887
104. NEWSPAPERS. Hunt (F. K.). The Fourth Estate: A History of Newspapers and of the Liberty of the Press. 2 vols. 12mo, half morocco, gilt tops.
London, 1850 105. PAPER MANUFACTURE IN AMERICA, ETC. Munsell (J.). A Chronology of Paper-Making. Frontispiece. 8vo, cloth.
Albany, 1864 106. PERKINS LIBRARY CATALOGUE. (Splendid Illuminated MSS., Shakespeareana, Early Printing on Vellum, Ancient Bibles, etc., etc. Numerous facsimiles. 8vo, half morocco, gilt. Priced in ink.
London, 1873 107. PRINTING IN AMERICA. Thomas (Isaiah). The History of Printing in America and an Account of Newspapers. Portrait. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth (back of one vol. scratched).
Albany, 1874 EDWARD EVERETT HALE'S COPY, with his autograph and MS notes. Second and Best Edition, with copious additions and A LIST OF BOOKS AND PAMPHLETS PRINTED IN AMERICA UP TO 1776. 108. QUARITCH'S General Catalogue. Part 1 to 16, including Index. Together 15 vols. 8vo, cloth; one in paper.
A most valuable and important bibliography. London, 1881-92 109. SABIN (JOSEPH). A Bibliography of Bibliography, or a Handy Book about Books which relate to Books (descriptive of the literature of Great Britain, America, France, etc.). 8vo, wrappers, uncut.
New York, 1877
110. SHAKESPEAREANA. Bartlett (H. C.). and Pollard (O. W.). A Census of Shakespeare's Plays in Quarto, 1594-1709. Imp. 8vo, half buckram and label, uncut.
New Haven: Yale Univ. Press, 1916