« IndietroContinua »
Comprises: Alton Locke; Two Years Ago; Yeast; Leighton Court; Ravenshoe; Geoffry Hamlin; Hereward the Wake; Austin Elliott; Westward Hoe.
450. KNOX (JOHN). An Historical Journal of the Campaigns in NorthAmerica, for the Years 1757-1760, containing the Most Remarkable Occurrences of that Period, particularly the Two Sieges of Quebec, etc. Portraits of Generals Amherst and Wolfe. No map. 2 vols. in one. 4to, full calf (hinges weak). London: Printed for the author, 1769 A very valuable collection of materials towards a history of the French and Indian war, and conquests in America, as well as for a description and natural history of the country, in which this attentive and industrious author personally served; and the best original authority for the death of Wolfe and the conquest of Canada. George Bancroft, the historian's copy, with his autograph.
451. LAFAYETTE. Adresses présentées au General Lafayette par les officiers, sous-officiers et soldats de l'Armée du Centre. 8vo, half cloth. A Valenciennes l'an IV de la liberté  Very rare imprint. Fine portrait of Lafayette inserted, engraved by F. Bolt, 1796.
452. LAFONTAINE (J. DE). Fragonard (H.). Suite des Cent Estampes pour illustrer les Contes et Nouvelles en vers. Reimpression de l'edition de Paris, Didot, 1795. 2 vols. in one, 4to, half olive levant morocco, gilt top, uncut. Paris: Chez J. Lemonnyer, 1882 Fine copy on Japan vellum paper, with some of the plates in two states.
453. LA FONTAINE. Suite des six Estampes dessinées et graves au trait par J. H. Ramberg, pour illustrer les Contes de La Fontaine. Collection complete. Folio, original paper covers. Paris, 1884
Fine set, illustrating the suppressed tales of La Fontaine.
454. LAHONTAN (N., BARON DE). Reizen van den Baron Van la Hontan in het Noordelyk Amerika, Vervattende een Verhaal van verscheide Volkeren die het bewoonen; den aart hunner Regeering, hun Koophandel, hun Gewoontens, hun Godsdienst, en hun wys van Oorloogen. .. Vertaalt door Gerard Westerwyk. 2 folding maps and 16 plates. 2 vols., 12mo, original calf, gilt back. In's Gravenhage: By Isaac Beauregard, 1739 A RARE DUTCH EDITION. Contains many historical and geographical notes, and in many respects is better than either the English or French Editions.
455. LAMB (CHARLES). The Essays of Elia; and the Last Essays of Elia. Edited by Augustine Birrell. With etchings by Herbert Railton. 2 vols., 8vo, cloth, parchment backs, uncut. In a cloth slip-case with blue levant morocco back. London, 1888 Presentation copy from Herbert Railton to F. T. Davies, with inscription. Each of the etchings is signed by Railton and on the margins of the books are eleven beautiful original pen-and-ink drawings by Railton, Jellicoe, and Elwes. The volumes are large paper copies, of which only 100 were issued.
456. LAMBRECHTSEN (N. C.). Korte Beschrijving van de Ontdekking en der verdere lotgevallem van Nieuw-Nederland, weleer eene volkplanting van het gemeenebest der vereenigde Nederlanden in America. Large folding map. 8vo, half calf. Middelburg, 1818
FIRST EDITION. The object of this work is to give a concise account of the discovery and subsequent history of the colony of New-Netherlands, until its final cession to Great Britain in 1674. The map is from Montanus with the original Indian and Dutch names inserted.
457. LANG (ANDREW). The Library. With a chapter on modern English Illustrated Books by Austin Dobson. Illustrations. 12mo, cloth.
FIRST EDITION, with cut autograph of the author laid down. 458. LANG (ANDREW). Books and Bookmen. Illustrations. 8vo, cloth, New York, 1886 FIRST EDITION. With cut autograph of the author laid down.
459. LANG (ANDREW). St. Andrews. Illustrations. FIRST EDITION. London, 1893; Paris and the Parisians in 1835. By Mrs. Trollope. Illustrations. First American Edition. New York, 1836. 2 vols., 8vo, cloth and half morocco (latter vol. has binding worn).
460. LANGBAINE (GERARD). An Account of the English Dramatick Poets, or, Some Observations and Remarks On the Lives and Writings of all those that have Publish'd either Comedies, Tragedies, Tragi-Comedies, Pastorals, Masques, Interludes, Farces, or Opera's in the English Tongue. 8vo, full sprinkled calf, rehinged. Oxford, 1691
FIRST EDITION. Of the several early catalogues of the English stage, Langbaine's only is to be implicitly relied on for its fidelity. With the bookplate of B. Franklin and Helen G. Hadduck.
461. LAURI (JACOB). Antiquæ Urbis Splendor, et ejus admiranda ædificia. (Title in Manuscript.) 152 plates (should be 167). Oblong 4to, vellum. [Romæ, 1613]
462. LE CARON (MAJOR HENRI). Twenty-five Years in the Secret Service. The Recollections of a Spy. Portraits and facsimiles. 8vo, cloth, uncut. London, 1892
463. LEE (VERNON). Studies of the Eighteenth Century in Italy. It lustrated. Second Edition, with a new preface. 4to, cloth, gilt top, uncut. Chicago, 1908
464. LEECH (JOHN). The Rising Generation. A Series of Twelve Drawings on stone. By John Leech from his original designs in the Gallery of Mr. Punch. Folio, half blue levant morocco, original covers bound in, by Riviere. London: Published at the Punch Office,  FIRST EDITION. Exceedingly scarce. The plates are lithographs in
465. LE GENTIL (BARBINAIS). Nouveau Voyage au Tour du Monde. Illustrations and maps. 3 vols., 12mo, old calf. Amsterdam, 1728
466. LELAND (JOHN). The Itinerary of John Leland the Antiquary. Published by Thomas Hearne. Frontispiece and woodcuts. 9 vols. in three. 8vo, calf (hinges weak). Oxford, 1770
467. LELAND (JOHN). De Rebus Britannicis Collectanea. Cum Thomæ Hearnii. 6 vols., 8vo, calf (some covers loose). London, 1774
468. LESCARBOT (MARC). Histoire de la Nouvelle France. Contenant les navigations, decouvertes, & habitations faites par les Francoises aux Indes Occidentales & Nouvelle-France, par commission de noz Roys Tres-Chretiens, & les diverses fortunes d'iceux en l'execution de ces choses, depuis cent ans jusques a hui. En quoy est comprise l'histoire Morale, Naturale, & Geographique des provinces cy decrites: avec les Tables & Figures necessaires. 4 maps. One volume in three, small 8vo, half vellum (vols. 2 and 3 slightly wormed). Paris, 1618
This is the first complete and best edition of this work, differing greatly from the former editions of 1609 and 1611, having 139 pages more than the former, and 94 pages more than the latter. There is sometimes bound in at the end of this edition "Les Muses de la Nouvelle France" which is nothing more than a collection of poems by the same author. This collection is wanting in the present copy.
This work is very highly esteemed not only for its great veracity, but as the work of a candid and intelligent writer, and the FIRST HISTORY OF THE SETTLEMENTS OF THE FRENCH IN CANADA.
469. LESSING (JULES). Modèles de Tapis Orientaux, d'apres des Documents authentiques et les principaux tableaux du XVe et du XVIe siecle. 30 colored plates. Folio, in cloth, portfolio (worn). Paris, 1879
470. LETTERS from Albion to a Friend on the Continent, written in the Years 1810, 1811, 1812 & 1813. [By a German.] 2 vols., 16mo, old half calf. London, 1814
471. LEWIS (J. O.). The Aboriginal Portfolio; or, A Collection of Portraits of the Most Celebrated Chiefs of the North American Indians. 55 finely colored full-page plates, being portraits of Indian Chiefs after the originals taken from life, and two Indian views. Folio, half brown morocco, gilt top, uncut, with original front wrapper of Part 1 bound in.
Philadelphia: Lehman & Duval, 1835
Fine copy of this very rare work. Bound in with the plates are the original Advertisements to the First, Second, and Third numbers, not usually present. This work is executed with great care and fidelity, the countenances and costumes of the Indians being true to life.
472. LIE (JONAS). Samlede Vaerker Mindeudgave. Portrait. 6 vols., 8vo, half roan. Kristiania, 1908
473. LIVES of those eminent Antiquaries John Leland, Thomas Hearne, and Anthony à Wood. Illustrated. 2 vols., 8vo, old half calf (name on titles). Oxford, 1772
474. LOCKE (D. R.). The Struggles, Social, Financial, and Political of Petroleum V. Nasby. Illustrated by Thomas Nast. 8vo, cloth.
Boston, 1888 Pasted on inside back cover, is the booklet: "Inflation at the CrossRoads. In a series of Five Letters. By Petroleum V. Nasby." New York, 1875. FIRST EDITION.
London: Privately printed, 1868
475. LOCKER-LAMPSON (FREDERICK). London Lyrics. Du Maurier, inserted. 12mo, cloth, leather back, gilt top, uncut.
476. LONDON'S Flames Reviv'd; or, an Account of the Several Informations. . . by which it appears that the said fires were contrived, and carried on by Papists. Small 4to, cloth, calf back. London, 1689
477. LONGFELLOW (HENRY WADSWORTH). The Works of Longfellow, with Bibliographical and Critical Notes, and his Life, etc. Portraits and other illustrations. 14 vols., 8vo, half green morocco, gilt tops, uncut.
Boston: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., n.d.
478. LORENZANA (F. A.). Historia de Nueva-Espana, escrita por su esclarecido conquistador Hernan Cortes, aumentada con otros documentos, y notas por el ilustrissimo Senor Don Francisco Antonio Lorenzana, Arzobispo de Mexico. 2 maps and 34 plates. 4to, original vellum.
En Mexico, Joseph Antonio de Hogal, 1770 An important and highly esteemed work, containing the celebrated letters of Cortez to the Emperor Charles V. This edition is illustrated with copious notes and documents, together with facsimiles of the Mex ican mode of representing the tributes paid by the different towns in Mexico. These pictures, more complete and colored like the originals,. are included in Lord Kingsborough's "Antiquities of Mexico."
479. LOUISIANA, Fortier (Alcee). A History of Louisiana. Illustrated with map, and numerous Goupil photogravures, the frontispieces beautifully colored. 4 vols., imp. 8vo, half red morocco, gilt tops, uncut.
Paris and New York: Goupil, 1904
EDITION ROYALE, one of 200 copies.
480. LOWELL (JAMES RUSSELL). The Works of Lowell, including a Biography by Horace E. Scudder. Illustrated with steel portraits and photogravures. 13 vols., 8vo, half olive green morocco, gilt tops, uncut.
Boston: Houghton, Mifflin & Co., n.d.
THE STANDARD LIBRARY EDITION.
481. LOWNDES (WILLIAM THOMAS). The Bibliographer's Manual of English Literature. 4 vols., 8vo, half leather (rubbed).
London: William Pickering, 1834
482. LOWNDES (WILLIAM T.). The Bibliographer's Manual of English Literature. 6 vols., 12mo, half morocco. London, 1864
483. LUYKEN (JAN). A Collection of 44 copper-plates by Jan Luyken illustrating Martyrdoms, Cruelties, etc., inflicted on the early Christians. Oblong 12mo, boards, vellum back (portion of an old manuscript).
484. LYTTLETON (LORD). Dialogues of the Dead. 8vo, original calf. London, 1760
485. LYTTON (EDWARD BULWER, Lord). Speeches of Edward Lord Lytton, Now First Collected, with some of his Political Writings hitherto unpublished, and a Prefatory Memoir by his Son. 2 vols., 8vo, cloth, uncut. Edinburgh, 1874
Inscribed on the half-title to "My dear Kent" with a note of appreciation, in the handwriting of the younger Lord Lytton, signed and dated June, 1875. Publisher's presentation stamp on title.
486. MCCLELLAN (GEORGE). Anatomy in its Relation to Art. Illustrated by 338 original drawings and photographs made by the author. 4to, eloth, gilt top, uncut. Philadelphia, 1901
With bookplate of Frederic Warnecke.
487. MAIR (JOHN). Book-keeping Methodiz'd: or, A Methodical Treatise of Merchant-Accompt, according to the Italian Form. 8vo, old calf (name on title). Edinburgh, 1749
488. MANUSCRIPT. Arabic Book of prayers. Manuscript on native glazed paper, neatly written in red and black, towards the end of the 17th Century. Small 4to, native binding in brown morocco, panelled sides, with blind centre ornaments (back worn). Sæc. XVII
489. MANUSCRIPT. Sermones de Tempore et Sanctis a Dominica prima Adventus Domini, etc. By Johannis Pfefferi. German Manuscript of the XV Century. Bound in original monastic calf, with one of the straps and fasteners remaining.
Two early man anuscript notes state that the book belonged to the monastery of St. Giles of Nuremberg and that it had once been the property of Master John, professor at the monastery.
490. MANUSCRIPT. Estaciones de la sagranda Passion de Neustro Senor Jesu Christo. Dispuestas en Verso por Don Luis de Oviedo Conde de la Granja Peruano. 80 leaves, 4to, old calf (loose in covers). C., 1700 A curious old manuscript, neatly written in the Spanish style, with initials in red.
491. MANUSCRIPT. Variae Sententiae Ex operibus S. Augustini et Quaedam. S. Leonis, Sanctique Bernardi ad vsum Quatidianum Adaptae. Pars Altera pro sex Alteris Mensibus. 18mo, full old French brown morocco, gilt edges. Scriptum Parisiis, 1740
Vol. 2 only of this beautifully written Manuscript, each page being ruled in red.
492. MARSTON (JOHN). The Workes of Mr. Iohn Marston, Being Tragedies and Comedies, Collected into one Volume. Small 8vo, full dark red levant morocco, gilt edges, by The Club Bindery.
London: Printed for William Sheares, 1633 SECOND ISSUE OF THE FIRST EDITION. The separate titles all bear the same date and imprint. This copy contains the "Dedication by the Publisher to Lady Elizabeth Carie, Viscountesse Faulkland," which is usually missing in most copies. Bound in at the end of the present copy, is "The Insatiate Countess," of the issue of 1820, which is attributed to Marston.
493. MARTIN (R. MONTGOMERY). The Indian Empire. Illustrated with maps, portraits, and views. 3 vols., imperial 8vo, half brown levant morocco, gilt backs, gilt tops, uncut, by Stikeman. London, n.d.
A very handsome copy.
494. MARTIN (WILLIAM). The Historie and Lives of Twentie Kings of England. With the Succession of the Dvkes, and Earles, of this Realme; from the Conqvest, vntill the Twelfth years of the Famous Raigne of the most Admired Prince King Iames the First. Together with the times of the Creations of the Barons, and Baronets, of this Kingdome. Title within elaborate woodcut border, and ornamental woodcut initials. Folio, contemporary calf, carmine edges. London: Printed for W. Stansby, 1615 FIRST EDITION. Very Rare. With the autograph of the author's daughter, Susanna Beavis, on fly-leaf.
495. MARTINEAU (HARRIET). Eastern Life, Present and Past. FIRST EDITION. 3 vols., 12mo, half calf. London, 1848 496. MARYLAND. Proceedings of the Conventions of the Province of Maryland, held at the City of Annapolis, June 22, 1774 (1774-1776). 8vo, sheep (title wanting). [Baltimore, 1836]
There is no indication in this work of whether it was printed from a manuscript or from an older edition, it having neither introduction nor preface.
497. MASSACHUSETTS. Debates, Resolutions and other Proceedings of the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Convened at Boston on the 9th of January, 1788 and continuing until the 7th of February following, for the purpose of assenting to and ratifying the Constitution recommended by the Grand Federal Convention. 12mo, original boards (worn). Boston, 1809
498. MAY (THOMAS). Lucan's Pharsalia: Or, The Civil Warres of Rome, betweene Pompey the great, and Iulius Caesar. The whole ten Bookes. Englished by Thomas May. Engraved title. 8vo, full old calf.
London: Printed for Thomas Iones and Iohn Marriott, 1627 THE VERY RARE FIRST EDITION. In this copy, as in the copy collated for the Grolier Club, Sigs. B6, D5, F2, H1, K1, M1, 01 and Q2 have been cancelled and removed. No copy of the work containing all these leaves is known.
Bound in with the above is: "A Continuation of Lucan's Historical Poem till the death of Iulius Caesar. By T. M." London, 1630 499. MEDICAL ESSAYS. Essai sur le Goître, Essai sur le Cancer de l'Utérine. Observations sur les Crachats. Eloge de Henry Fouguet. De l'homme considéré sous le rapport physiologique et Médical. 5 vols., 4to wrappers. Montpellier, 1806
Five rare medical pamphlets.