« IndietroContinua »
965. VIRGINIA. A True Discourse of the Present Estate of Virginia, etc. Written by Raphe Hamor. Folio, half red polished morocco, gilt top, original wrappers bound in. [Albany, 1860]
One of 200 copies printed on Large Paper; from the London edition of 1615.
966. WAHLSTEDT (JACOBUS J.). Iter in American, Annuente Ampliff. Sen. Philos. Upsaliensi, etc. 12mo, full crimson levant morocco, gilt tooling, gilt edges, by Bedford.
Upsaliæ: Literis Wernerianis  Very Scarce. A dissertation before the University of Upsala on the evidences of the visits of the Northmen to America.
967. WALTON AND COTTON. The Complete Angler; or, The Contemplative Man's Recreation. With original Memoirs and Notes by Sir Harris Nicolas. Illustrated with 61 fine engravings. 2 vols. royal 8vo, full green levant morocco, beautifully ornamented with emblematic tooling, gilt tops, uncut. London: Pickering, 1836
VERY FINE COPY OF THIS DESIRABLE EDITION, containing all the variations of the first five editions, voluminous notes, and Memoirs of Walton and Cotton.
968. WARING (J. B.). Examples of Stained Glass, Fresco Ornament, Marble and Enamel Inlay, and Wood Inlay. Drawn on stone and printed in colors by Vincent Brooks. Elephant folio, old half morocco (loose in covers). London, 1858
A very beautiful and valuable work on the subject, containing illuminated title-page and 48 full-page plates, carefully printed in the colors of the originals.
969. WEBBER (CHARLES W.). Old Hicks the Guide; or, Adventures in the Comanche Country, etc. FIRST EDITION. 12mo, cloth. New York, 1848
970. WEBBER (CHARLES W.). The Gold A Sequel to Old Hicks the Guide. 2 vols. in 1.
Mines of the Gila.
971. WEBSTER (DANIEL). Speech of Hon. Daniel Webster on Mr. Clay's Resolutions. 8vo, stitched. Washington, 1850
With part of wrapper, bearing Webster's autograph and address in his handwriting.
972. WELLINGTON (DUKE OF). A. L. S., 2 pp. 8vo, November 14, 1819; also, A. L. in the third person, 1 p. 4to, London, Dec. 11, 1829. 2 pieces.
973. WELLINGTON (DUKE OF). A. L. in the third person, London, August 10, 1830. To Mr. Glasscock, in reference to an appointment.
974. WEST INDIES. A Geographical and Historical Description of the Principal Objects of the Present War in the West-Indies. Folding map and a plan. Small 8vo, half morocco. London, 1741 FIRST EDITION. Very Scarce.
975. WHITTINGTON (RICHARD). The Life and Times of Dick Whittington. An Historical Romance. Illustrations by William Read, after the style of George Cruikshank. 8vo, half London, 1841
976. WILKINSON (GENERAL JAMES). Memoirs of My Own Times. With Atlas, containing the Diagrams and Plans Illustrative of the principal Battles and Military Affairs. 4 vols. 8vo and 4to, sheep and half roan (somewhat worn).
FIRST EDITION. Very scarce with the Atlas. Wilkinson performed great services for his country in the early years of the republic and his 'Memoirs" comprehend many incidents and anecdotes of our early wars which are not to be found elsewhere.
977. WILKINSON (I. GARDNER). The Manners and Customs of the Ancient Egyptians. A New edition, revised and corrected by Samuel Birch. With coloured plates, illustrations, and woodcuts. 3 vols. thick 8vo, half green morocco, gilt tops.
New York, 1879
978. WILLIAMS (H. NOEL). Madame de Montespan. With 16 photogravures. 4to, full crimson levant morocco, the back and sides elaborately tooled with a floriated design, gilt inside borders, silk doublures, gilt top, uncut, by Zaehnsdorf. London, 1903
A very beautiful book, inside and out.
979. WILSON (JOHN MACKAY). Wilson's Tales of the Borders, and of Scotland. Historical, Traditionary, and Imaginative. Revised by Alexander Leighton. 24 vols. 12mo, cloth.
980. WILSON (THOMAS). Arrowpoints, Spearheads, and Knives of Prehistoric Times. Profusely illustrated. Large 8vo, half red morocco, uncut, wrappers bound in. Washington, 1899
981. WINTER (WILLIAM). Life and Art of Edwin Booth. Portraits and illustrations. 12mo, cloth, gilt top, uncut.
New York: Macmillan, 1893
982. WISCONSIN Archeologist (The). Illustrated. Vol. 4, numbers 3 and 4. Illustrated. 8vo, half blue morocco, gilt top, original covers bound in.
983. WITHBECK (TREBOR R.). The Life, Adventures, and Elopement of Emily La Croix, the poisoner, also, an Account of Jean la Croix, her brother, better known in California as Leon Gabralli, etc. Portraits and illustrations. 8vo, original pictured wrappers. Baltimore, 1856
984. WITHERS (ALEXANDER SCOTT). Chronicles of Border Warfare; or, a History of the Settlement by the Whites, of North-Western Virginia, and of the Indian Wars and Massacres in that section of the State with Reflections, Anecdotes, &c. Portrait. 8vo, cloth. Cincinnati, 1895
985. WOOD (J. G.). The Uncivilized Races of Men in All Countries of the World. Numerous illustrations. 2 vols. royal 8vo, half calf, gilt tops. Hartford, 1876
986. WYMAN (JEFFRIES). Fresh-water Shell Mounds on the St. John's River, Florida. Illustrated. Small folio, half morocco, gilt top, uncut, original wrappers bound in, by Launder.
987. YARRELL (WILLIAM). A History of British Fishes. Illustrated with 400 woodcuts. 2 vols. 8vo, full tree-calf, gilt tops, by Morrell (rubbed). London, 1836
With the 3 bookplates of J. G. Heckscher.
EXTRACT FROM THE WILL OF EDMOND DE GONCOURT
My wish is that my Drawings, my Prints, my Curiosities, my Books-in a word, these things of art which have been the joy of my life-shall not be con signed to the cold tomb of a museum, and subjected to the stupid glance of the careless passer-by; but I require that they shall all be dispersed under the hammer of the Auctioneer, so that the pleasure which the acquir ing of each one of them has given me shall be given again, in each case, to some inheritor of my own tastes.
SALE OF THE ROBERT HOE LIBRARY
FRENCH ENGRAVINGS OF THE XVIII
SALE OF THE FREDERIC R. HALSEY PRINTS
[NOVEMBER IST, 1916-APRIL 26TH, 1917]
NAPOLEON AND FRENCH REVOLUTION
FRENCH EIGHTEENTH CENTURY
DOUGLAS TAYLOR & CO., NEW YORK.