Immagini della pagina

hope of getting off at all, unless a similar combination of circumstances should occur, as was the cause of our driving so high upon the beach, viz., a gale blowing from the N.N.E. and a high spring-tide.

Friday the 17th.I awoke, and sweet was the communion of my soul with the Lord in prayer. I felt that I could trust God, yea, for all things. It was sufficient for me to know that my God ordered all events, and that he had all power to do whatever pleased him. Whilst thus hanging upon Him, it suddenly occurred whether I could believe that we should get out of our present difficulties. Faith unhesitatingly replied, Yes. But when ? when wilt thou get out of them? When it shall please God. Couldst thou not believe God was able to send his water high enough to float the boats this very morning ?' Yes, replied faith. I could believe it without a doubt. • But now!' said the same questioner within me.

• Now, I thought, now?' quired only the pause of a moment to answer, · Yes, now. I do believe that God will send his water this very morning, and float the boats, that we shall get off.' A wondrous power constrained me to believe it. It was no act of my

natural, fleshly mind, but the Spirit of God gave light to see the Lord's will, and that therefore I might believe he could precisely do what he suggested to me to believe. Scarce had the assent of my faith been given, when I heard one of the men, who had

It re

just got up, and gone on deck, say, 'She is afloat!' From any natural ground I had not the slightest suspicion, much less intimation, of the fact. It was not long afterwards that our boat (Pioneer), which had so dangerously entered among the rocks, but as wondrously escaped injury from them, was once more in open water, and safe. The Speedwell was also sufficiently surrounded with water to have enabled her to float, only that the rollers which were under her raised her considerably, and did not allow of her getting off. This, however, she did the next day (Saturday), the rollers having been taken away. And thus once more we were out of our difficulties.

“ The natural cause of this singular rising of the tide, contrary to our expectations, was, that here the difference between two tides is very remarkable, and it being so low the day before, we did not see any probability of there being a rise so much above the level of what it was only a tide or two before.

“ As it was impracticable for us to continue any longer in Lennox Harbour, it being too exposed for us to ride safely at anchor, our tackling being not strong enough, and we had had enough of beaching the boats, we were fain to seek new quarters. Some few days before, the Captain, with Mr Maidment, had walked across the country to explore for a fresh cove, and found one which promised to answer well, and to which he gave the

[ocr errors]

name of Mercy Cove. Thither we now directed our course.

During the first week of our residence at Lennox Harbour, with the exception of seeing the two dogs, which crossed the beach and barked at us on two different occasions, we had no reason to think natives were near us. On Tuesday the 14th, a party came to us. It consisted of two men, and we believe one family. They were very quiet and docile, and one of the men very good-looking, with good feelings exhibited in his peaceful and pleasant countenance. It seemed quite unwarrantable and uncharitable to think evil of him, or to suspect he would do us harm. The child they brought with them was a very interesting little vivacious fellow. The father was most careful of him, and scarcely allowed us to handle him. He was well wrapped up in skins.

All this was pleasing, and it is a pleasing trait-conspicuous in the Fuegian character, as far as we have yet been able to judge—their fondness for their children. As these were the only party that we saw whilst we were in the har. bour, we were very easy as long as they continued

We could not tell, however, but that they might go off for others. They did leave us on the Friday, but came back on the following morning, and again in the course of the morning left us.

“ Late on Saturday afternoon, at high water, after experiencing fresh difficulties in getting our boats over the irregular sand-banks in our way, and

[ocr errors]

with us.

grounding repeatedly, at length we found all right, and shaped our course for Mercy Cove, a few miles south of Lennox Harbour. When abreast of a cluster of islands adjacent to Luff Island, we saw a large body of natives on the beach to the left of us, and our old acquaintance of Lennox Harbour on the island to the right. They were engaged in fishing or hunting seals, which were very plentiful near to the spot. They no sooner caught sight of us than, as usual, the uproar was great; shouting and gesticulating were the order of the day. Canoes immediately put off, and they paddled away with a speed which exceeded all our previous thoughts of their skill.

We were now within a short distance of Mercy Cove; but it was evident that if we proceeded, the whole of the large party, consisting of about five-and-twenty persons, would follow us, and we should be at their mercy. We therefore regretfully turned back upon our

and cast anchor in Lennox Harbour. “ Next morning, Sunday the 19th, just a fortnight after our first arrival in the harbour, the Captain thought it advisable to get under weigh again, with the intention of going to Cape Rees or Blomefield Harbour. His reason was, that he felt sure the natives would follow us, and we should not be able to spend a quiet Sabbath where we were; and he thought it very desirable that we should get off early, and arrive at our fresh destination, wherever that should be, early enough to

[ocr errors]


[ocr errors][ocr errors]

hold our religious services. We weighed anchor,
therefore, soon after four o'clock; with a wind at
first light and favorable, and a promising morning.
However, we had scarcely got into Oglander Bay,
when the wind freshened and became dead ahead.
We consequently beat about, still persisting in our
intention. Whilst tacking, the two boats ran foul
of each other, and carried away our bowsprit,
doing some slight injuries also to the Speedwell.
It was a time of great danger, and the wonder is
that one or both of us had not our bows stove in,
-the rudder of the Pioneer not being seaworthy.
We therefore bore away for Lennox Harbour, and
reached it again. As we entered the mouth of the
harbour, the wind being right ahead, and our bow-
sprit and jib having been carried away, we missed
stays, and were obliged to run an anchor out in
haste to keep ourselves off the rocks. Our posi-
tion was a fresh instance of imminent peril. The
wind now blew a hurricane; and at first our an-
chor dragged, and we were threatened with de-
struction; but the kelp did us good service, and
we held on. Nearly the whole day the pitiless
blasts smote us, and the foaming water raged
around us, the dark clouds pouring on us their
pelting hailstones and deluges of rain.
really fearful. We were anything but sheltered,
being nearly at the entrance of the harbour, and
within thirty or forty feet of the rocks, against
which had we dashed, we must inevitably have been

It was

« IndietroContinua »