Towards A Democratic Nepal: Inclusive Political Institutions for a Multicultural Society
SAGE Publications India, 1 feb 2005 - 345 pagine
This book analyses the problem of the increasing political exclusion of ethnic, caste and gender groups in democratic Nepal and discusses its consequences for democracy and the stability of the country. While outlining alternative democratic institutions and proposing specific institutions that can include the diverse socio-cultural groups in Nepal, this book:
- analyses the Maoist insurgency, arguing that political exclusion was a major cause for its genesis and growth;
- examines the causes for the lack of democratic consolidation in Nepal;
- provides the first comprehensive critique of the 1990 Constitution, identifying it as an important factor leading to the political exclusion of ethnic groups;
- suggests the setting up of a new Constituent Assembly to address the social and political crisis in Nepal;
- makes important recommendations to shape an inclusive and democratic Nepal which include federalism; a powerful House of Nationalities; a proportional electoral system; affirmative action policies and reservations; declaration of a secular state; a centralized judicial review; and the protection of minority rights in the Constitution.
Overall, the author argues that unless Nepal's ruling elite becoms senstive to the needs of marginalized and excluded groups, the country could witness an escalation in violence.
Highlighting a wide range of issues crucial to strengthening democracy in Nepal, this book is of interest ot students and academics studing Nepal and South Asia.
Cosa dicono le persone - Scrivi una recensione
The Context Multicultural Society Political Exclusion and Majoritarian Institutions
3 Cleavages Conflicts and Sociocultural Groups
7 The Process for Designing an Inclusive Polity
The Solution Inclusive Democratic Political Institutions
Group Rights Public Policies and Inclusion
Inclusion through Equality and Justice
10 Constitutional Protection of Minority Rights
The Future A Multicultural Democratic Nepal
Congruence between the State and Society
Altre edizioni - Visualizza tutto
Towards A Democratic Nepal: Inclusive Political Institutions for a ...
Visualizzazione frammento - 2005