« IndietroContinua »
THE BEST ITALIAN WRITERS
FOE THE USE OF STUDENTS OF THE
JAMES PHILIP LACAITA, LL.D.
LONGMAN, BROWN, GREEN, AND LONGMANS.
This book contains a short selection from Italian authors, which may assist the beginner in mastering the language, by comparing the phraseology and style of its best poets and prose writers. A chronological arrangement has been adopted, and short notices of the authors have been occasionally given, with a view of enabling the student to acquire a notion of the progress of Italian literature. A few notes have also been added, in order to clear some difficult passages, and explain poetical or antiquated words and phrases.
The selection may be considered as a preparatory course to the reading of the Divina Commedia of Alighieri. Scarcely any extracts will be found from tragedies or comedies, for the obvious reason that short extracts cannot do justice to works of that description. It will remain with the teacher, who adopts this book, to select, from time to time, such passages for reading as are adapted to the progress made by his pupils.
TAVOLA DELLE MATERIE.
1. Cantico del Sole ..... i
PIER DELLE VIGNE.
2. Amore --...--3
GUIDOTTO o GALEOTTO.
3. Non si dee schivare pericolo per la Patria - - 4
4. V un leone che non offese un fanciullo - - - 5
5. Come Ambasciadori fiorentini e pisani ebbero Questione
in Roma ------ 5
6. L' anima non si sazia del desiderare in questo mondo - 7
7. Canzone a la Povertà ----- g
DINO COMPAGNI .
8. Origine delle fazioni de' Guelfi e Ghibellini in Firenze - 10
9. H buon Cronista, narrati gli scandali della città divisa,
mosso da generosa sdegno e dolore, prorompe - 11
10. Del suo esilio - - - - - - 12
11. L'Adolescenza- ... - -^