« IndietroContinua »
author, by John C. Lettsom, and an Index of the Travels, thus forming a complete copy of the Third and Best Edition.
The plates are brilliant impressions, and include all of the extra plates, which consist of a fine mezzotint portrait of the author, a rare colored plate of the Tobacco Plant, besides an additional plate (plain) of the same, not mentioned in the Index. A most desirable copy.
77. CASGRAIN (L'ABBE H. R.). Guerre du Canada. 1756-1760. Montcalm et Lévis. Profusely illustrated. Imp. Svo, cloth, gilt edges. Tours, 1899.
An interesting and important treatise (in French) on the old French War, with reproductions of maps not often found.
78. CATALOGUE of Mr. John A. Rice's Library, 8vo, boards, cloth back. N. Y. 1870
79. CATALOGUE of the Collection of Books and Manuscripts belonging to Mr. Brayton Ives. Facsimiles. 4to, cloth, uncut. N. Y. 1891
One of a special edition printed on Holland paper by the De Vinne Press. Priced in pencil.
80. CAXTON CLUB.
Rogers (Robert). Ponteach; or, The Savages of America. A Tragedy. With an Introduction and a Biography of the Author, by Allan Nevins. Portrait. 8vo, half cloth and boards, uncut.
Chicago: Caxton Club, 1914
One of 175 copies on Old Stratford paper. L. S. of the author relating to the book.
81. CENTURY Cyclopedia of Names. 4to, half morocco (worn). N. Y., 1895
82. CHAMPLAIN (SAMUEL DE). The Voyages and Explorations of Samuel de Champlain (1604-1616) Together with the Voyage of 1603. Edited, with Introduction and Notes by Edward G. Bourne. Illustrated. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth. N. Y. 1906
83. CHAMPLAIN TERCENTENARY.
Extracts of all
the important material from the bulky Report of the Commission. Maps mounted on linen, portraits and illustrations. Royal 8vo, newly bound in buckram, with specially prepared Index. Albany 1911
84. CHARLES I. Holograph Letter of Charles I. Formerly in possession of John Evelyn. Later in the collection of Wm. Upcott and now privately printed for the friends of the present owner. Portrait and facsimile. 8vo, boards, uncut. St. Louis, 1915 One of 200 copies inscribed and presented by Mr. Bixby.
85. CHARLOTTE CUSHMAN: Her Letters and Memories of her Life. Edited by her friend, Emma Stebbins. Portrait. 8vo, cloth. Bost. 1879
86. CHARLTON (EDWIN A.). New Hampshire as it In three parts. A Historical Sketch from its First Settlement in 1788. Portraits and views. 8vo, cloth. Claremont, N. H., 1856
87. CHIPMAN (DANIEL). Memoir of Colonel Seth Warner. To which it added The Life of Colonel Ethan Allen. By Jared Sparks. FIRST EDITION. 16mo, cloth. Middlebury, 1848
88. CHITTENDEN (LUCIUS E.) The Capture of Ticonderoga. Address delivered at Montpelier, Vt., Oct. 8, 1872. 8vo, cloth. Rutland, 1872
89. COLDEN (CADWALLADER). The History of the Five Indian Nations of Canada, which are dependent on the Province of New York in America. Folding map. 8vo, polished calf, rebacked. Lond. 1747
Fine copy of the Second and Best Edition. Very scarce in such desirable state.
90. COLT (MRS. S. S.). The Tourist's Guide through the Empire State. Profusely illustrated. 8vo, cloth (a little spotted). Albany, 1871
91. CONOVER (GEORGE S.). Early History of Geneva (formerly called Kanadesaga). 8vo, original wrappers.
Autograph presentation copy from the author; also an A. L. S. from the author relating to the pamphlet inserted. Very scarce.
92. COOK (FLAVIUS J.). Home sketches of Essex County. First Number. Ticonderoga. 8vo, new boards. Keeseville, N. Y., 1858
Very Scarce. This is the only number that was issued. Consists of interesting and valuable historical sketches of Ticonderoga, based in a large degree upon original sources.
93. COOK (JOSEPH). Extracts from Sketches of Ticonderoga; Burial of Lord Howe, by Edward J. Owen. Illustrations and map. 8vo, original wrappers.
A scarce pamphlet full of important historical material, including an account of the discovery of the grave of Lord Howe and the reburial of the remains.
94. [COOPER (JAMES FENIMORE)]. The Last of the Mohicans; A Narrative of 1757. 2 vols. 12mo half old calf (foxed). Phila. 1826
95. COREY (ALLEN). Gazetteer of the County of Washington, N. Y., comprising a correct Statistical and Miscellaneous History of the County and several Towns, from their Organization to the Present Time. 8vo, boards. Schuylerville, N. Y., 1849-50
Fine copy of one of the scarcest of New York County histories. There are numerous maps which are impressed white upon a black background.
96. CORRESPONDENCE between Lt. Gov. Cadwallader Colden and William Smith, Jr., the Historian, on Errors in Smith's History [Excerpt]; Commemoration of the Battle of Lake George, Sept. 8, 1903 (Sowden) [Excerpt]; Their Pilgrimage (Warner), bound up from original magazine numbers. 3 vols. 8vo, cloth and paper.
97. CURIOSITIES of Bookplates (Romer); The Amenities of Book-Collecting (Newton); Famous Art Frauds (Kaempffert); Chinese Porcelains (Carroll); and two others. 6 excerpts and pamphlets, 8vo, in wrappers.
98. CUSHING (WILLIAM). Initials and Pseudonyms. A Dictionary of Literary Disguises. First and Second Series. In one volume, 8vo, cloth. N. Y., n.d.
[DAVISON (G. M.).] The Fashionable Tour; or, a Trip to the Springs, Niagara, Quebeck, and Boston, in the Summer of 1821. 18mo, limp roan (name on title). FIRST EDITION. Saratoga Springs, 1822
100. Another copy. Third Edition. Folding map. 18mo, half roan. Saratoga Springs, 1828
Another copy. Fourth Edition, enlarged and improved. Plates. 16mo, full new calf (foxed). Saratoga Spring, 1830
102. DAVISON (G. M.). The Traveller's Guide through the Middle and Northern States and the Provinces of Canada. Folding map. Seventh and Eighth Editions. 2 vols. 16mo, half roan.
Saratoga Springs, 1837-1840
Very scarce. Contains descriptions of Savannah, Charleston, Pittsburg, New York, Brooklyn, Erie Canal, Chippewa Battle Ground, Detroit, Montreal, Deerfields, etc. The map shows the stage lines, time, miles, etc.
103. DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE. Autograph Letters and Autographs of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence in the Possession of George C. Thomas. Illustrated. 8vo, cloth, gilt top, uncut.
Phila. Printed for Private circulation, 1908 Extra-illustrated with clippings, manuscript notes, etc.
104. De FOE (DANIEL). The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. Portrait and engravings from designs by Thomas Stothard. 2 vols. royal 8vo, polished canary calf, gilt top, by Zaehnsdorf. Lond. 1820
LARGE PAPER COPY. A fine copy of this extremely scarce and highly prized edition.
105. De PUY (H. F.). "Le Pour et le Contre." From the French of Pastor Louis Bridel. Map. 8vo, wrappers. Buffalo, 1914
Autograph presentation copy from the Editor. One of 25 copies of a separate reprint issued for Mr. De Puy. The original work is exceedingly scarce, but two copies having been located in America. It relates to Kentucky and the Genesee.
106. DE PUY (HENRY W.) Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Heroes of '76. With a Sketch of the Early History of Vermont. Frontispiece portrait (slightly foxed). FIRST EDITION. 12mo, cloth. Bost. 1853
107. DE RENNE (WYMBERLEY JONES). A Short History of the Confederate Constitutions of the Confederate States of America, 1861-1899. With facsimile signatures of the Members of the Congress under this Constitution. 4to, original wrappers. n.p., n.d.
Autograph presentation copy from The De Renne Library to Mr. Bixby, and from Mr. Bixby to Mr. Samson.
108. DE VINNE (THEODORE LOW). The Practice of Typography: A Treatise on Title Pages. A Treatise on the Processes of Type-Making; Modern Methods of Book Composition; Correct Composition. Illustrated. 4 vols. 12mo, cloth. N. Y., 1902-04
109. DICKENS (CHARLES). American Notes for General Circulation. 2 vols. 12mo, original cloth, uncut. London, 1842
FIRST EDITION. Fine copy of the First Issue, with the pagination beginning xvi.
110. DICKENS Dictionary, Bost., n.d.; A. Glossary of Obscure Words in Shakespeare and his Contemporaries (Mackay), London, 1887; Shakespeare Word-Book (Foster), London, n.d.; The New Thesaurus (Mawson), N. Y.; n.d. 4 vols. 12mo and 8vo, cloth.
111. DISTURNELL (J.) The Northern Traveller, containing the Hudson River Guide and Tour to the Springs, Lake George and Canada. Frontispiece view and 2 maps. 18mo, cloth (somewhat water-stained). N. Y. 1844
112. DOBSON (AUSTIN). Horace Walpole: A Memoir. With an Appendix of Books printed at the Strawberry Hill Press. Numerous full-page plates and vignettes by Percy and Leon Moran. Royal 8vo, full green levant morocco, the back and sides handsomely gilt-tooled, doublures of green levant, decorated with borders, figured silk ends, gilt edges, in a cover and slip-case, by The Club Bindery. N. Y. 1890
One of 50 copies on Japan paper. A very handsome specimen of binding by the Club Bindery. INSERTED IS AN A. N. S. by HORACE WALPOLE, addressed to his intimate friend, George [Selwyn], in which he mentions that he is laid up with the gout and asks that Selwyn and Mr. Williams call upon him. The Robert Hoe copy.
113. DODD (REV. STEPHEN). Revolutionary Memorials, embracing Poems by the Rev. Wheeler Case, pub. in 1778, and an Appendix containing Gen. Burgoyne's Proclamation (in burlesque); authentic account of the Death of Miss Jane M'Crea, etc., 12mo, cloth.
N. Y., 1852
114. DRAPER (LYMAN C.). An Essay on the Autographic Collections of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence and of the Constitution. Portrait. Royal 8vo, cloth, gilt top, uncut. N. Y., 1889
A manuscript list of the signers by Colonies, is laid in.
115. DUNLAP (WILLIAM). History of the New Netherlands, Province of New York, to the Adoption of the Federal Constitution. Folding maps and portrait. 2 vols. 8vo, original boards, paper labels. N. Y. 1839
FIRST EDITION. Nice copy in the original binding.
116. DWIGHT (THEODORE, JR.). The History of Connecticut, from the First Settlement to the Present Time. 18mo, original printed cloth, some edges uncut.
N. Y., 1841.
117. DWIGHT (TIMOTHY). Travels in New England and New York. 3 folding maps. 4 vols. royal 8vo, original boards, uncut, paper labels (one volume rebacked).
New Haven, 1821-22 clean state, being practically Contains the slip of Errata
FIRST EDITION, and in unusually free from foxings usually present. in the last volume.