« IndietroContinua »
Pope's (Alex.) Dunciad; with notes variorum, and Prolegomena of Scriblerus. 2d edit. 8vo.
Nicolson's (Wm. Bishop of Carlisle,) Irish Historical Library, &c. Sco. Dublin, 1724
Grami (Gulielmi) Manifesto Juridica, &c. Dedicated to James Graham of Airth, Dean of
Faculty, &c. (In'English, although the Dedication is in Latin.) 8ro. no place or date. "Very rare. By Bogle, father of the Artist."—MS. note of Sir W. S.
Atherston's (Edwin) Last Days of Herculaneum, and Abradates and Panthea, Poems. 12mo.
Midsummer Day's Dream. \2mo. ..... ib. 1824
GilUes's (R. P.) Illustrations of a Poetical Character, in four Tales; with other Poems. \2mo.
The Maze, a Poem. (With notes.) \2mo. .... Lond. 1815
Clare's (John) Poems, descriptive of Rural Life and Scenery. 2d edit. \2mo. ib. 1820 Armstrong's (Dr. John) Art of preserving Health. \2mo. . . . ib. 1757
Colman's (Geo. the younger,) Broad Grins, Tales in Verse. \2mo. . . ib. 1802
Eccentricities for Edinburgh. \2mo. .... Edin.
Carey's (William) Critical Description of Stothard's Picture of Chaucer's Pilgrims to Canterbury. 2d edit. \2mo. ...... Lond. 1818
The Whole Book of Psalmes, with the prose in the margin, &c. Collected into English meeter by Thomas Sternhold, John Hopkins, and others. er. 8vo. . . ib. 1649
Derrick's (S.) Letters from Liverpool, Chester, Corke, &c. 2 vols. \2mo. . ib. 1767
Dubois's (Edward) My Pocket Book, or, Hints for a Ryghte Merrie and Conceited Tour, in
quarto, &c. 12wo. . . . . . . . ib. 1808
Satire on Sir John Carr. See Prose Works, vol. )rix. p. 160.
Butler's (Sam.) Hudibras. 12mo. ..... Glasg. 1763
Hood's (Thomas) Odes and Addresses to Great People. \2mo. . Lond. 1825
Chateaubriand's (Vicomte de) Aben Hamet, the last of the Abencerrages, a Romance. 12mo.
Brougham and Vaux, (Henry, Lord) Discourse on the Objects, Advantages, and Pleasures of Science, new edit. fc. 8vo. . . . . . ib. 1828
Belhaven's (Lord) Countrey-man's Rudiments: or an Advice td the Farmers in East Lothian how to labour and improve their ground. \2mo. . . . Edin. 1699
Walton, (Isaac) and Cotton's (Charles) Complete Angler. With the Lives of the Authors,
and Notes, &c. by Sir John Hawkins. 8vo. . . . Lond. Bolster, 1808
The same; with Notes by the same. Gt/i edit. 12wo. . . . ib. 1797
Barker's (Thomas) Art of Angling, &c. 1651. 12/no. . . repr. ib. 1820
Delight, or Art of Angling, &c. 1658. 12mo. . . repr. ib. 1820 Whitney's (John) Geuteel Recreation, or the Pleasures of Angling, a Poem. 1700. \2mo.
repr. Lond. 1820
Lunardi's (Vincent) Account of the first Aerial Voyage in England. 8vo. . ib. 1784
Account of five Aerial Voyages in Scotland, &c. 8vo. . . ib. 1786
Loyal Pamphlets. 1 vol. 8vo. Lond. 1820. containing,
1. The New Christmas Budget.
2. Solomon Logwood, a Radical Tale, ith edit.
3. The Radical Harmonist.
4. Slop's Shave at a Broken Hone.
5. Types of the Tymes.
Memoirs of Mr. and Mrs. Coutts. 1 vol. 8vo. containing,
1. Secret Memoirs of Harriott Pumpkin, &c . ..... Lond.
2. Life of the late Thomas Coutts, Esq. with Anecdotes of his first wife, Betty Starky, &c. . to.
3. Biograph. and Historical Addenda to the Life, &c. also the Letter of the Earl of Dundonald, &c. ib.
4. Dundonald's (Archibald, Earl of) Answer to the Mis-Statements contained in the Life of the late T.
Coutts, Esq. ....... ib. 1822
Julia, or the Pilgrim. In two cantos, &c. \2mo. .... ib. 1825
Lockhart's (J. G.) Peter's Letters to his Kinsfolk. 2d edit. 3 vols. 8vo. Edin, 1819
See Life, vol. iv. p. 282.
Moncreiff-Welwood's (Rev. Sir Henry) Sermons. 2d edit. 8vo. . . ib. 1807
The Scottish Pulpit; a Collection of Sermons, by eminent Clergymen of the Church of Scotland. Edited by the Rev. R. Gillan. 8vo. . . . . . ib. 1823
Marana's (J. P.) Letters writ by a Turkish Spy, who lived 45 years undiscovered at Paris, &c.
Uthedit. 8 vols. 12»u>. ...... Lond. 1741
Scott's (Sir Walter) Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft, addressed to J. G. Lockhart, Esq.
18mo. ......... ib. 1830
Brewster's (Sir David) Letters on Natural Magie, addressed to Sir W. Scott 18mo. ib. 1832 Chambers's (Robert) Notices of the most remarkable Fires in Edinburgh, from 1385 to 1824,
&c. 18wo. ....... Edin. 1824
Mercer's (A.) Dunfermline Abbey, a Poem. With MS. note by Sir W. S. 12mo. Dun/. 1819
MISCELLANIES; ENGLISH POLYGRAPHERS; OLD ENGLISH AND SCOTTISH POETRY;
HISTORICAL AND ANTIQUARIAN TRACTS ; NATURAL HISTORY. SHELF I.
Cervantes, Vida y Hechos del Ingenioso Hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha, &c. Con Vida de Cervantes per Don G. Mayans i Siscar. (Lord Carteret's Edition.) 4 tom. ito.
Londres, Tonson, 1738
''s (Chevalier) Travels of Cyrus. M. edit. Subscription edition. ito. L. P. ib. 1730
Warton's (Rev. Thomas) History of English Poetry, from the close of the 11th century, (to the end of the reign of Elizabeth,) &c. 2d edit. 3 vols. Lond. 1775-1778-1781.— Vol. IV. Sections 44-48, (11 sheets, being all that were printed at the time of the author's death.) Mo.
See Prose Works, vol. vi. p. 205; vol. xvii. pp. 4, 18, 96.
Brydges's (Sir Egerton) Archaica; containing a reprint of Scarce Old English Prose Tracts, with Prefaces, Critical and Biographical. 2 vols. 4to. Lond. 1815. containing,
Vol. I. Part 1. Greene's (Robert) Philomela, Ac . . . . . 1615
2. Arcadia, &c . ...... 1616
3. Southwell's (Robert) Triumphs over Death. r. 1596
5. Breton's (Nic.) Characters, and Good and Bail. . . . 1615
7. Nash's (Thomas) Christ's Tears over Jerusalem. . . . 1613 II. Part 4. Harvey's (Gabriel) Four Letters and Sonnets touching Robert Greene. . 1592
8. Pierce's Supererogation. ..... 1593
9. New Letter of Notable Contents. .... 1593
6. Brathwayte's (Robert) Essays upon the Five Senses. . . . 1625
Park's (Thos.) Heliconia; comprising a Selection of English Poetry of the Elizabethan Age; written or published between 1575 and 1604. 3 vols. Mo. Lond. 1815. containing,
Vol. I. 1. Proctor's (Thomas) Gorgious Gallery of Gallant Inventions. . . 1578
2. Breton's (Nic.) Small Handfull of Fragrant Flowers. . . . 1575
3. Flourish upon Fancie. ...... 1582
Vol. II. 4. Robinson's (Clement) Handefull of Pleasant Delites. . . . 1584
5. Whetstone's (George) Mirrour of True Honour, &c . in the Life, Death, &c . of Frauncis Earle of
Bedford. ....... 1585
6. 8 , (B ) The Phoenix Nest. ..... 1593
7. Barnes's (Barn.) Divine Centurie of Spiritual Sonnets. . . . 1593
8. Constable's (Henry ?) Spiritual Sonnets, to the Honour of God, &c. by H. C.
9. Churchyard's (Thomas) Sad and Solemne Funerall of Sir F. Knowles. . 1596 10. Storcr's (Thomas) Life and Death of Cardinall Wolaey. . . . 1599
Vol. III. 11. Allott's (Robert) England's Parnassus. . . . . 1600
12. Churchyard's (Thomas) Sad and Heavy Verses for the Losse of Archbishop Whitgift. 1604
Golagrus and Gawane, the Knightly Tale of—and other Ancient Poems. B. L. Printed at
Edinburgh by W. Chapman and A. Myllar, in the year M.dviii. With MS. note by Sir
W. S. 4to. (Contains 11 Pieces, with Introduction, Register, and Table of Errata.)
Edin. repr.for David Laing, 1827 See PoErrcaL Works, vol. i. pp. 40-1; vol. v. pp. 443-4.
Singer's (Samuel Weller) Researches into the History of Playing Cards. With Illustrations of the Origin of Printing and Engraving on Wood. 4/o. . . Lond. 1816
Fosbrooke's (Rev. T. Dudley) British Monachism, or Manners and Customs of the Monks and Nuns of England, &c. new edition, very much enlarged. Mo. . . ib. 1817
Glassford's (James) Miscellanea. Translations (Latin and English), not printed for sale. Mo.
Edin. 1818 Rose's (William Stewart) Partenopex de Blois, a Romance, in 4 Cantos. Freely translated
from the French of M. Le Grand. 4to. .... Lond. 1807
See Poetical Works, vol. vii. p. 40; vol. Lx. p. 383; Prose Works, vol. vi. p. 89.
Scott's (Sir Walter) Lord of the Isles. Illustrated with proof plates from Westall's designs, and 23 original drawings of scenery, fyc.by Lord and Lady Compton. 4fo. L.P. Edin. 1815 Moore's (Thomas) Lalla Rookh, an Oriental Romance. 4/o. . . Lond. 1817
Sportsman's Cabinet, or a Correct Delineation of the various Dogs used in the Sports of the Field, &c. 2 vols. 4fo. ...... ib. 1803
Godwin's (Will.) Life of Geoffrey Chaucer, the early English Poet, &c. 2 vols. 4to. ib. 1803 See Review of this in Prose Works, vol. xvii. p. 55.
Forbes's (Sir William) Account of the Life and Writings of Dr. James Beattie, &c. 2 vols.
4fo. ........ . Edin. 1806
Alison's (Rev. Archibald) Sermon preached, &c. November 16, 1806, the day after the
Funeral of Sir William Forbes, Bart. ito. . . . ib. 1807
Fleurs, a Poem, in 4 books. ito. ..... Newcastle, 1821
Ariosto's Orlando Furioso, in English Heroical Verse. By Sir John Harrington, &c. Sd edit.
foL ........ . Lond. 1634
See Note to Kemlworth.
Scott's (Sir W.) Apology for Tales of Terror. (Containing 9 Poetical Translations from the
German, by Sir W. S., M. G. Lewis, Robert Southey, &c.) ito. Kelso, printed at the
Mail Office, 1799. (The first specimen of James Ballantyne's press, of which only 12
copies were thrown off.)—The Rape of the Lock, Canto the First. Respectfully offered as a
specimen of the typography of the Kelso Press. imperial 8vo. . . 1801
See Life, vol. i. pp. 316-17.
Lewis's (M. G.) Tales of Wonder. 2 vols. royal 8vo. . . . Lond. 1801
See Poetical Works , vol. i. p. 237; vol. iv. pp. 71-76; Life, vol. i. p. 290.
Addison's (Joseph) Works. Published by Tickell. 4 vols. Mo. . . ib. 1721
History of tbe Colonization of the Free States of Antiquity, applied to the Contest between Great Britain and her American Colonies. 4/o. . . . ib. 1777
Borde's (Dr. Andrew) Fyrst Boke of the Introduction of Knowledge, &c. 1542. B. L. 4to.
repr. ib. 1814
Cutwode's (Thomas) Caltha Poetarum, or the Bumble Bee. Lond. 1599. Edited by Ric'.iard Heber, Esq. for the Roxburghe Club. With MS. note by Sir W. S. Mo. ib. 1815 Hassell's (J.) Memoirs of the Life of the late George Morland. 4to. . . ib. 1806
Vardill's (Anna Jane) Pleasures of Human Life, a Poem. 4to. . . ib. 1812
Meason, (Gilbert Laing) On the Landscape Architecture of the Great Painters of Italy. ito.
Olai Magni Historia de Gentibus Septentrionalibus, &c. fol. . . Romae, 1553 Collection of Miscellaneous Poems; with some Prose Tracts. 5 vols. Mo. containing,
Vol. I. 1. Merry's (II.) Paulina, or, the Russian Daughter, a Poem. . . . Load. 1787
2. The Country Book Club. 1788
3. Peter Pindar's Brother Peter to Brother Tom. . •. . . wants title.
4. The Choice. ....... Edin. 1788
5. Knipe's (Eliza) Six Narrative Poems. . . . • l.und. 1787
6. Thelwall's (John) Orlando and Almeyda. .... irants title. IL 7. Mickle's (William Julius) Sir Martyn, an imitation of Spenser. . . Lond.Wil
See Poktical Works, Vol. i. p. 69, note. 8. The Progress of Envy, in imitation of Spenser, occasioned by Lauder's attack on Milton. ib. 1751
ib. 1780 Oxford, 1772
. Lond. 1796 Norwich, 179B
. Lond. 1790 ib. 1799 ib. 1799 no date.
9. Porson's (Professor Richard) Eloisa in Dishabille, &c.
10. Cartwright's (Dr. Edm.) Armine and Elvira. 5th edit.
See Lire, Toi. i . p. 139.
11. BUrger's Lenort. Translated by IL J. Pye.
12. Translated by William Taylor. .
See Poetical Works, vol. It. p. 47; Liwm, vol. i. pp. 235, 243, 254.
13. The Bedesman of Nidsyde, a Legendary Fragment.
14. Lewis's (M. G.) Love of Gain. Imitated from Juvenal. .
15. Seward's (Anna) Original Sonnets and Odes.
16. Memorial respecting the Rights, &c. of Clerks to the Signet.
17. Philosophical and Religious Dialogue in the Shades, between Mr. Hume and Dr. Dodd.
18. Blair's (Rev. Dr. Hugh) Dissertation on Ossian's Poems. . . to. 1763 19-23. Smart's (R«v. Christ.) Hymn to, and 4 Poems on the Goodness, the Power, the Immensity,
and the Omniscience of the Supreme Being. . Lond. and Camb. 1756-8
24. Thomson's (Alexander) British Parnassus at the close of the 18th Century. . Edin. 1801
25. Tytier's (A. F. Lord Woodhouselee,) Examination of the AbWde Sade's hypothesis respecting
26. Sotheby's (William) Battle of the Nile, a Poem. . . . Lond. 1799
V. 27. Chinnery's (G. H.) Statue of the Dying Gladiator, a Prize Poem. . Oxford, 1810
28. Canning's (Right Honourable George) Letter to Earl Camden, respecting his affair with Lord
Castlereagh. ....... Lond. 1809
See Lin, vol. ii. pp. 257-64
29. Ossian, Translations of, by M'Farlan and Macpherson, contrasted.
30. General Account of the family of Vaux, Vans, or de Vallibres, &c. represented by Vans Agnew
of Bambarrow. ..... Pembroke, 1800
31. Ferriar's (Dr. R.) Bibliomania, an Epistle to R. Heber. . . . Lond. 1809
32. Mathias's (T. J.) Heroic Epistle to Mr. Wineor, Patentee of the Hydro-Carbonic Gas Lights.
33. Mundy's ( ) Fall of Needwood. .... Derby, 1808
Sco Prose Works, vol. iv. p. 208.
34. Rose's (W. Stewart) Crusade of St. Lewis and King Edward the Martyr, Ballads.
35. Croker's (J. W.) Battles of Talavera, a Poem. 8th edit. .
36. Spenser's (W. R.) Year of Sorrow. Written in Spring, 1803.
Wilson's (Professor J.) Magic Mirror, a Poem. Addressed to W. Scott, Esq.
See Li Fx, vol . iii. p. 30.