« IndietroContinua »
Waldemar and Nordmorvin, a Swedish Tale of Ancient Times. MS. fol.
Sternbergh (J. F.) Grammatica Graeca, Latine conscripta, in usum Scholarum. Dedicated
to Sir Walter Scott, as President of the Royal Society. MS. fol. . Brunswick, 1826 Cary's (John) New and Correct English Atlas. imp. Mo. . . Lond. 1818
Shaw's (Rev. Dr. Thomas) Travels; or Observations relating to several parts of Barbary and
the Levant foL ....... Oxford, 1738
Schilteri (Joannis) Thesaurus Antiquitatum Teutonic-arum, Ecclesiasticarum, Civilium, Lit
terariarum. 3 tom. fol. ...... Ulmae, 1728
Heating's (Rev. Dr. Jeof&y) General History of Ireland. Translated from the Irish by Der
mod O'Connor, fol. L. P. . . . . . Lond. 1723-6
Knolls's (Richard) Turkish History, &c. With Continuation by Sir Paul Rycaut, to the Peace
of Carlowitz, 1699. 6th edit. 3 vols. fol. .... Lond. 1687-1700
Assises et Bons Usages du Royaume de Jerusalem, &c. et autres anciennes Coustumes. Avec
des Notes et Observations, et un Glossaire, &c. par Gaspard Thaumas de la Thaumassiere.
fol. . . . . . . . . . Bourges, 1690
See Not e to The Talisman. (TaUi of the Crutadert.)
D' Aubigne (Sieur) Histoire Universelle. Dediee a la Posterite. 2 parties en un volume, fol.
A Maille,par Jean Moussat, 1816-18
Davila's (E. C.) Historie of the Civill Warres of France. Translated from the Italian by Sir Charles Cotterell, and William Aylesbury, Esq. With curious MS. note. fol. Lond. 1647
vEmylii (Pauli, Veronensis) Historiae jam denuo emendatae de Rebus Gestis Francorum, &c. usque ad Carolum VIII. Libri x.—Arn. Ferroni Burdigalensis de Rebus GestisGallorum, a Carolo VIII, usque ad Henricum II. Libri ix.—J. T. Freigii Paralipomena, &c. usque ad a.o. 1569.—Jo. Tilii Chronicon de Regibus Francorum, &c. usque ad Henricum II. Cum imaginibus. fol. ...... Basil. 1.569
Appian of Alexandria, the History of, in 2 parts, &c. Made English by J. Dryden. fol.
See Prose Works. vol. i. p. 203, note.
Fuller's (Thomas) Church History of Britain, &c. to 1648.—History of the University of Cambridge.—History of Waltham Abbe)', fol. .... ib. 1656
Mariana's (Father John de) General History of Spain, &c. With Continuation and 2 Supplements. Translated by Captain John Stevens. fol. . . . ib. 1699 See Poetical Works, vol. ix. p. 385.
Phillips's (Edward) New World of English Words; or Universal English Dictionary. 6th edition, revised, &c. by J. Kersey. fol. . . . . ib. 1706
Owen's (Rev. Dr. John) Works. fol. . . . . . . ib. 1721
Russell (P.) and Price's (Owen) England Displayed; being a New, &c. Description of England and Wales. 2 vols./o/. . . . . . . . ib. 1769 Fiddes's (Rev. Dr. Edw.) Life of Cardinal Wolsey. 2d edit. fol. . Lond. 1726
Capriata's (Dr. P. G.) History of the Wars of Italy, from 1613 to 1644. Translated from
the Italian by Henry, Earl of Monmouth. sm.fol. .... ib. 1663 Collection of Poetical Pieces. 1 vol. fol. containing,
1. Ode to Mini. Single leaf. . . . . . . 1730
2. Perkins's (H.) Blind Man's Complaint .
3. Orrery's (John, Earl of) Poem to the Memory of E. Sheffield, Duke of Buckingham. 1736
4. Horace's Ode to Venus. Imitated by Mr. Pope. .... 1737
5. First Epistle of Second Book. Imitated. . . . . 1737
6. Second Epistle of Second Book. Imitated by Mr. Pope. . . . 1737
7. Epistle to Alexander Pope, Esq. from South Carolina. .... 1737
8. The Cur and the Lap-dog, a Poem. ..... 1737
9. Jacob's (Hildebrand) Progress of Religion, a Poem. .... 1737
10. The Year of Wonders. Poetical translation of an old Prophecy, by S. D. . 1737
11. Session of the Crities, or Contention of the Nettle, a Poem. . . . 1737
12. The Unequal Match, a Tale. . . . . . . 1737
13. The True Great Man. Poem to the memory of Lord Chancellor Talbot. . . 1737
14. Essay on Conversation. . . . . . . . 173
15. Folly, a Poem. By the author of the Female Rake. .... 1737
16. Jacob's (Hild.) Epistle from Donna Clara to her daughter Teresa. . . 1737
17. Riddle. Paiad. Char, of a Hairy Monster often found under Holland, &c. 3d edit. . 1737
18. The Diseases of Bath, a Satire. ...... 1737
19. Boccace's Fra Cipolla, a Tale. Translated from the original MS. . . 1737
20. Ode to the Earl of Chesterfield, imploring his Majesty's Return. . . 1737 21. Modem Matrimony, a Satire. ...... 1737
22. Essay on the vicious bent and taste of the Times. .... 1737
23. Mother Gin, a Tragi-Comical Eclogue. ..... 1737
24. Order, a Poem. ....... 1737
25. False Patriot's Confession, or Bolingbroke's Address to Ambition. . . 1737
26. Eugenio : or Virtuous and Happy Life, a Poem. .... 1737
27. Essays^l. On Nobility; 2. Ancient and Modern State of Britain. . . 1737
28. Epistle on the Use and Improvement of the Stage. .... 1737
29. Savage's (Richard) Epistle to Frederic Prince of Wales. . . 1737
30. Of Legacy-Hunting, Imitation of Horace's 5th Satire, &c. . . . 1737 British Theatrical Gallery. Portraits of celebrated Actors and Actresses, with Biographical
Sketches, by Daniel Terry. 3 Nos. in 1 vol. with duplicate impressions, plain and coloured,
and 6 additional portraits, fol. ..... Lond. 1822, &c.
Acts of Sederunt of the Lords of Council and Session, Sec. from May 1532 to January 1553. Published by the authority of the Court, under the direction of Sir Hay Campbell, fid.
The same, from January 1553 to July 1790, &c. fol. .... ti. 1790 Stair's (James, Viscount of,) Institutions of the Law of Scotland, deduced from its originals, &c. 3d edit, with Notes by John Gordon and Wm. Johnstone, Esq. Adv. fol. ib. 1759
More's (John Shank) Notes and Illustrations to Lord Stair's Institutions of the Law of Scotland ; with Biog. Preface, Lord Stair's Apologie, &c. 1690. 2 vols. in 1. royal ito. ib. 1832
Halkerston's (Dr. Peter) Compendium, &c. of the Faculty Collection of Decisions of the Lords of Council and Session, from 1752 to 1817, &c. fol. ... ib. 1819
Erskine's (John, of Carnock,) Institute of the Law of Scotland. 3d edit. enlarged, fol. ib. 1793
Dictionarium Scoto Celticum: Dictionary of the Gaelic Language, &c. Compiled and
published under the Direction of the Highland Society of Scotland, (by the Rev. Dr. John
Macleod, E. Maclachlan, Dr. Alexander Irvine, Alexander Macdonald, and Dr. Macintosh
Mackay.) 2 vols. royal 4to. ...... ib. 1828
See Life, vol. vii. p. 283.
Livingston's (Dr. Edward) System of Penal Law, proposed for the State of Louisiana; comprising Codes of Offences and Punishments, of Procedure, of Prison Discipline, and of Evidence, &c. (In seven parts.) fol. .... New Orleans, 1824-27
Ancient Laws of the Isle of Man. Extracted from the yiS. Statute Book of the Island, §c. by Joseph Train. MS. fol. . . . . . .1829
Francisci Petrarchc Trostbiicher von Rath That und Artzeney in Gliick und Ungliick, &c. Auss dem Lateinischen, &c. und mit schbnen Figuren. Franckf. 1584.—Officia Ciccroni.% Teutsch. Auss den Latcin. &c. mit schdn. Fig. fol. . . . ib. 1565
Case of John Lindsay Crawfurd, Claimant of the Titles, Honours, and Dignities of Earl of Crawfurd and Lindsay, &c. fol. ..... Lond. 1824
Dobie's (James) Examination of the Claim of John Lindsay Crawfurd, &c.; containing an Exposure of the Forgeries on which that Claim is founded, &c. imp. ito. Edin. 1831
Lothian's (John) County Atlas of Scotland, with 33 Maps and Frontispiece; Historical Atlas of Scotland, 6 Maps, &c. royal 4to. .... ib. 1826-29
Abela, (Fra G. F.) Malta Illustrate. Descrittione di Malta, Isola nel Marc Siciliano, Con le sue Antichita, &c. fol. ...... Malta, 1647
Sallust, The Works of. To which are prefixed two Essays on the Life, &c. of the Historian. With Notes, &c. by Dr. Henry Steuart. 2 vols. royal 4to. . . Lond. 1806
Rud (Thomae) Codicum Manuscriptorum Ecclesiae Cathedralis Dunelmensis Catalogue Classicus. fol. ....... Dunelm. 1825
Manuscript Scots Legal Tracts. Containing 19 Treatises, separately paged, fol.
Notes of Lectures on Scots Law. Actions, Lect. 96-106. fol.
Press C. Shelf 1.
Miscellaneous Collection of Manuscript and Printed Relics of all descriptions, Prose and
Poetical, Ancient and Modern. Formed by Sir fValier Scott. fol.
Notes of Professor (afterwards Baron) Hume's Lectures on the Law of Scotland, taken by Sir
Walter Scott, when a Student of the Class of Scots Law. 3 vols. fol. 1791.
See Life, vol. i. pp. 58 and 184.
ldney's (Sir Philip) Arcadia, moderniz'd by Mrs. Stanley. fol. . Lond. 1725 Scriptores Rerum Brunsvicensium illustrationi inservientes, Antiqui omnes, et Religionis Re
formatione priores, &c. cura God. Guil. Leibnitii. 3 torn. fol. Hanoverae, 1707-11
See Poetical Works, Vol . I p. 202; vol. ii. pp. 265, 270, 273; vol. iii. p. 245.
Catalogue of the Library of the Faculty of Advocates, Edinburgh, (by T. Ruddiman, Walter
Goodal, Alexander Brown, and Alexander Manners.) 3 vols. fit. Edin. 1742-1807
Pontoppidan's (Erich, Bishop of Bergen,) Natural History of Norway, &c. In two parts.
Translated from the Danish. fol. . . . . . ib. 1755
See Poetical Works, vol. iv. p. 290; Notes to The Pirate.
Cotgrave (Randle) and Sherwood's (Robert) French and English, and English and French
Dictionary; with Animadversions and Supplements, &c. by James Howell, fol. ib. 1673 Fabri (Basilii) Thesaurus Eruditionis Scholasticae, Latin, ct German, per Aug. Buchnerum
auctus: per Christ. Cellarium correct, et locuplet. fol. . . Leipt. 1696
Thomson's (Thomas, Deputy Clerk-Register,) Annual Reports, (on the State of the Records
of Scotland,) from 1807 to 1821. 14 parts. fol. . . Edin. 1807-21
Lhuyd's (Edward) Archaeologia; giving some Account, &c. of the Languages, Histories, and
Customs of the original Inhabitants of Great Britain, &c. fol. . Oxford, 1707
Sydney Gazette, and New South Wales Advertiser, Nov. 1821 to Feb. 1822. foL Sydney.
Supplement to the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Editions of the Encyclopaedia Britannica; with Preliminary Dissertations on the History of the Sciences, (by Professors Dugald Stewart, John Playfair, and William Thomas Brande.) Edited by Professor Macvey Napier. G vols. 4to. Fine Paper. ...... Edin. 1815-24
This Work contains Sir Walter Scoffs Essays on Chivalry, Romance, and the Drama; afterwards incorporated into his Miscellaneous Prose Works, (vol. 6. last edition.)
Hutcheson's (Gilbert) Treatise on the Offices of Justice of Peace, Constable, Commissioner of Supply, &c. in Scotland. 2 vols. royal Svo. . . . . . t4. 1806
Ames (Joseph) and Herbert's (William) Typographical Antiquities: or the History of Printing in England, Scotland, and Ireland, &c. greatly enlarged, with copious Notes, &c. By the Rev. Dr. T. F. Dibdin. vols. 1, 2, 3. 4/o. . . . Lond. 1810-16
Robson's (Thomas) British Herald; or Cabinet of Armorial Bearings of the Nobility and
Gentry of Great Bribain and Ireland, &c. 3 vols. 4fo. . Sunderland, 1830
. See Life, Vol . vii. p. 260.
Nichols's (John) Progresses and Public Processions of Queen Elizabeth, &c. printed from original MSS. or scarce Pamphlets, &c. 2 vols. 4fo. . . . Lond. 1788
1. Passage of our most drad Sov. Lady, Queen Elizabeth, through the citio of London to Westminster,
the day before her Coronation, June 1558. ... ib. Tottili,
2. Hartuelli, (Abr.) Regina Literals: sive de S. D. Elizabethae, &c. in Acad. Cantabrig. adventu,
A. D. 1564. . . . . . Seres, 1565
3. Churchyard's (Thomas) Chippes: the 12th Labour. Order how our Sov. Ladye Queen Elizabeth was
receyved into the citie of Bristowe, 1574. . . . .ib. Marthe, 1575 4. Lancham's (Robert) Letter, &c. Entertainment unto the Queen's Majestie at Killingwoorth Castle, in
Warwick Sheer, &c. 1575. ..... Land.
5. Gascoigne's (G.) Princely Pleasures of Kenelworth Castle, 1575. (From his Works, 1587.)
6. Humfredi (L.) Oratio ad S. R. Elizabetham, &c. in aula Woodstochiensi, 1575. Land. Binneman,\575
7. Harveii (Gab.) Gratulationum Valdinensium Libri iv., ad A. P. R. Eliz. ib. ap. eundem, 1578
8. Gar. (Ber. cit. of London,) Joyfull Recejving of the Q. m. e. M. into her Highnesse citie of Norwich,
etc. 1578. . . . . . . ii. tame.
9. Churchyard's (Thos.) Discourse of the Q. M. Entertainment in Suffolk and Norfolk, &c. ib. tame.
10. Goldwel's (Henry) B. Declaration of the Shews, Devices, &c. done and performed before the Q. M.
and the French Ambassadours, &c. 1581. ...£6. Waledgrave.
11. Device of Pageant bome before Woolstane Dixi, Lord Mayor of London, &c. 1585. ib. Allde, 1585
12. Hake's (Ed.) Oration conteyning an Expostulation, &e. . . . ib. Aggas, \587
13. Aske's (J.) Elizabetha Triumphans; conteyning the damned Practizes of the divelish Popes of Rome,
&c. . . . . . . . t6. Orwin, 1588
14. Churchyard's (Thomas) Sparko of Friendship and Warme Good Will, &c. . ib. 158ft
15. Entertainment given to the Q. M. in Progresse, at Cowdrey in Sussex, &c. 1591. ib. Scarlet, 1591
16. Entertainment at Elvetham in Hampshire, &c. 1591. . ib. Wolfe, 1591
17. Speeches delivered to H. M. this last Progresse at Bissam, at Sudley, and at Ricorte, &c.
Oxford, J. Barnet, 1592
18. Churchyard's (Thomas) Pleasant Conceite, penned in verse, presented on New Yeere's Day last to
the Q. M. at Hampton Court, 1593. .... Lond. Warde,
19. Gesta Grayorum; History of Henry, Prince of Purpoole, 1594. . ib. Canning, 1688
20. Churchyard's (Thomas) Fortunate Farewell to the Earl of Essex. . ib. Bollifant, 1559
21. True Discourse, &c. of Q. Mary de Medicis's Voyage, from Florence to Marseilles. Translated from
French. ...... A. Stafford, 1601
22. Petowe's (H.) Eliza's Funerall. A prill Drops showered on the Hearse of Dead Eliza, ib. .tilde. 1603
See Poetical Works, vol. ix. p. 227; Note to Keniluvrth.
Jamieson's (Rev. Dr. John) Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Langnage, &c. With numerous MS. notes by Sir W. S. 2 vols. Edin. 1808.—Supplement to the Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language. 2 vols. ib. 1825.—4 vols. Mo. Edin. 1808-25 See Prose Works, vol. xx. pp. 345-6.
Johnson's (Dr. Samuel) Dictionary of the English Language. 6th edit. 2 vols. 4/c. Lond. 1785
Nares's (Rev. Robert, Archdeacon of Stafford,) Glossary; or a Collection of Words, Phrases, Names, &c. requiring illustration, in the Works of English Authors, partlcularly Shakspeare, &c. 4to. . . . . . . . . ib. 1822
Thomson's (John, Secretary to Lord Hastings,) Observations introductory to a Work on English Etymology. 4to. . . . . . . . ib. 1819
Cruden's (Alexander) Complete Concordance of the Holy Scriptures, &c. 8th edition, with Author's Life. Mo. ....... Berwick, 1817
Falconer's (William) New Universal Dictionary of the Marine, &c. modernized and enlarged by Dr. William Burney. 4to. ..... Lond. 1815