« IndietroContinua »
Duncan's (Rev. Dr. Alexander) Devout Communicant's Assistant. 18»w. Berwick, 1792
Gessner's (C.) Death of Abel. Translated from the German by Mrs. Collycr. 5th edit.
\2mo. ........ Lond. 1763
See Life, vol. i. p. 26; Poetical Works, vol. iv. p. 42.
Klopstock's (F. T.) Messiah, attempted from the German. (By Mrs. Collycr, and her husband Joseph Collyer.) 2 vols. 12»w. . . . . . ib. 1763
Jamieson's (Rev. Dr. John) Use of Sacred History, especially as illustrating and confirming
the great Doctrines of Revelation. 2 vols. 8vo. . . . Edin. 1802
Burrowes's (Rev. Dr. Robert, Dean of Cork,) Sermons on the first Lessons of the Sunday
Morning Service. Svo. ...... Lond. 1829
Scott's (Sir Walter) Religious Discourses, by a Layman. New Edition. (Published by Geo.
Huntly Gordon, Esq.) 8vo. . . . . . . ib. 1828
Ewart's (Rev. John) Lectures on the Psalms. (With MS. Letter from the Editor, Mrs.
Porter, the Author's Daughter.) . . . . . ib. 1822
Shiels's (Rev. William, of Earlston) Sermons. 8vo. .... ib. 1825 Maltby's (Rev. Dr. Edward, now Bishop of Durham) Illustrations of the Truth of the Christian
Religion. 2d edit. 8vo. ...... Camb. 1803
Sermons. vol. 1. 8vo. ...... Lond. 1819
Mackie's (Rev. Charles) Spirit and Constitution of the Church, in their relation to the general
welfare of the State. 8vo. . . . . . . . ib. 1827
Drummond's (Rev. Dr. R. Hay, Archbishop of York) Sermons on Public Occasions, &c.;
with Memoirs of his Life, by George Hay Drummond, Prebendary of York. 8vo. Edin. 1803 Nott's (Rev. Geo. F.) Religious Enthusiasm considered, in Eight Sermons, preached, &c. at
Bampton's Lecture. 8vo. ...... Oxford, 1803
Sermons and Tracts. 1 vol. 8vo. containing,
1. Act of the Associate Synod, met at Stirling, November 8, 1753; containing a Narrative of the Rise,
Progress, and Grounds of their Secession, &c. .... Glasg. 1755
2. Brown's (Rev. John) Historical Account of the Seceders, in a Letter, &c . . Edin. 1766
3. Wallace's (Rev. Robert) Sermon on the Regard due to Divine Revelation, &c. preached October 1729.
4c . ....... Lond. 1731
4. Wishart's (Rev. George) Sermons preached in the Tron Church of Edinburgh in November 1745, on
occasion of the present Rebellion. ..... Edin. 1745
5. Hadfield's (Rev. Dr. Thomas) Sermon preached at the Ordination of Mr. James Howe and Mr. James
Murray. ....... Lond. 1737
Baumer's Short Essay on Man's Original State, and Fall in the first Adam. . ib. no dale.
7. Proceedings of French King and Parliament against the Jesuits. . . . i6. 1761
8. Blandy's (Miss Mary) Account of the Affair between her and Mr. Cranstoun. . ib. 1752
9. The Pipe of Tobacco, in imitation of six several authors. Uhedit. . . . ib. 1744 10. E (T ) Christ only exalted, from Ezekiel xxi. 26-27. . ib. 1758 Sermons by Scotch Divines. 1 vol. 8vo. containing,
1. Aitken's (Rev. W.) Ten Sermons on important subjects. . . . Bdin. 1767
2. Wishart's (Rev. George) Sermons, &c . on the Rebellion of 1745. . . ft. 1745
3. Lundie's (Rev. Archibald) Sermon preached at the opening of the Synod of Lothian and Tweeddale,
November 1726. . . . . . . . ft. 1727
4. Cuming's (Rev. Patrick) Sermon at the opening of Synod of Dumfries, April 1726. ft. 1726
Tracts on Dr. Sacheverel, &c. 1 vol. 8vo. containing,
1. Bisset's (Rev. William) Modern Fanatick, with a large Account of the Life, Actions, &c. of Dr. Sach
everel. ...... . . Land. 1710
2. Vindication of Dr. Sacheverel from the aspersions of the Modern Fanatick. . ib. 1710
3. Withers's (W.) Apology for the Lies made use of against Dr. Sacheverel. . ib. 1711
4. Speeches of Bishops of Lincoln and Norwich, on 2d Article of Impeachment against Dr. Sacheverel.
5. Bishop of Oxford's Speech on the 1st Article of ditto. . . . ib. 1710
6. Drake's (Dr. James) Memorial of the Church of England, &c. . . ib. 1711
7. No Queen no General; argument proving the necessity of the Queen displacing the Duke of Marl
borough. ........ ib. 1712
8. Representation of the Present State of Religion, by the Lower House of Convocation. ib. 1711
9. A Roman Story. ...... no place or date.
10. Trial of R. Thomhill, Esq. for the Murder of Sir Cholmly Dering, Bart. 2d edit. . ib. 1711
11. Bugg's (Francis) Quakers'Present Principles farther exposed. . . ib. 1711
Sermons on Public Occasions. 8vo. containing,
1. Smith's (Rev. James) Sermon on National Thanksgiving Day, January 1814. . Pauley, 1814
2. Morehead's (Rev. Robert) Sermon, July 1815, for Widows and Orphans of killed in Battle of Water
loo, &c. . . . . . . . Edin. 1815
3. Polwhele's (Rev. R.) Sermon on Death of Princess Charlotte, 10th November 1817. Truro, 1817
4. Alison's (Rev. Arch.) Discourse on National Thanksgiving Day, Jan. 1814. . Edin. 1814
5. Address of the Associate Synod on Family Worship. . . ih. 1812
6. Brown's (Rev. Dr. Andrew) Sermon on Love of Country, preached May 3, 1801, to Mid Lothian
Volunteer Cavalry. . . . . . . . ft. 1801
Sermons on Public Occasions. 8vo. containing,
1. Smith's (Rev. James) Sermon on National Thanksgiving Day, (as i« preceding vol.)
2. Brown's (Rev. Dr. A.) Sermon on Love of Country, (do.)
3. (Rev. Dr. W. L.) Sermon preached at Utrecht on General Fast Day, March 1794. Utrecht, 1794
4. Chalmers's (Rev. Dr. Thomas) Sermon for Destitute Sick Society, April 1813. . Edin. 1813
Baxter's (Andrew) Inquiry into the Nature of the Human Soul. 3d edit. 2 vols. Hco.
Hall's (Rev. Arch.) Grace and Holiness, &c. Two Discourses delivered at Wells's Street Chapel, August 1776. 8vo. . . . . . . ib. 1777
Gilly's (Rev. W. St) Narrative of an Excursion to the Mountains of Piemont in 1823, and Researches among the Vaudois or Waldenses, &c. 2d edit. 8vo. . . ib. 1825 The Cause of Truth defended, &c. Two Trials of the Rev. T. Hill, Methodist Preacher, for
Defamation of the Character of Miss Bell of North Shields, &c. 8vo. HuliS. Jjond. 1827
See Life, vol. vi. pp. 204-6.
Gillan's (Rev. Robert) Abridgment of the Acts of General Assemblies of tbe Church of Scotland, from 1638 to 1820, &c. 8vo. ..... Edin. 1821
Inglis's (Sir Robert H.) Two Speeches delivered in the House of Commons, May 1825, and May 1828, on the Catholic Question. 8vo. .... Lond. 1828
Anichini's (P.) Analytical and Historical View of the Catholic Religion, &c. 8co. ib. 1826
Memorial of the Established Church of Ireland, &c. 8vo. . . Dublin, 1827
Catholic Tracts. 8vo. containing,
1. Declaration of Catholic Bishops, c\.c. ..... Lond. 1826
2. Haines's (Dr. P. A., Bishop of Sign,) Sermon at the Dedication of Catholic Chapel at Bradford, July
1825. . . . . . . . .ib. 1826
3. Howard's (Henry) Remarks on the erroneous Opinions entertained respecting the Catholic Religion.
Summons of Wakening; or'the Evil Tendency and Danger of Speculative Philosophy, exemplified in Mr. Leslie's Inquiry into the Nature of Heat, &c. 8vo. . Hawick, 1807
Report of Proceedings, &c. in General Assembly, respecting the Election of Mr. Leslie to the Mathematical Chair, &c. 8vo. ..... Edin. 1805
Tracts on Professor Leslie's Election. 8vo. containing,
1. Stewart's (Prof. Dugald) Short Statement of some important Facts, relative to the late Election, &c.
J. Examination of the Letter addressed to Principal Hill on the Case of Mr. Leslie, &c. . ib. 1806 3. Playfair's (Prof. John) Letter to the Author of the Examination of Prof. Stewart's Short Statement, &c.
Bannister's (Samuel, late Attorney-General in New South Wales,) Humane Policy; or, Justice to the Aborigines of the New Settlements, &c. 8vo. . . . Lond. 1830
Abercrombie's (Dr. John) Inquiries concerning the Intellectual Powers, and the Investigation of Truth. 8vo. ....... Edin. 1830
Phillips's (Sir Richard) Golden Rules of Social Philosophy. (With MS. Letterfrom the Author.) 8vo. ......... Lond. 1826
Berry's (Miss) Comparative View of the Social Life of England and France, &c. 8co. ib. 1828
Irving's (Dr. David) Observations on the Study of the Civil Law.—Memorial of Anne Margaret Anderson, his Wife. 8vo. ..... Edin. 1815
The Code Napoleon, verbally translated from the French; to which is prefixed an Introductory Discourse, &c. By Bryant Barrett, Esq. 2 vols. 8vo. . . Lond. 1811
Erskine's (John) Principles of the Law of Scotland, &c. new edit. 8vo. Edin. 1802
Halkerston's (Dr. Peter) Translation and Explanation of the Technical Terms and Phrases used in Mr.-Erskine's Institute of the Law of Scotland, &c. 8vo. . . ib. 1820 Beveridge's (Thomas) Practical Treatise on the Forms of Process, &c. before the Court of
Session, &c. 2 vols. 8ro. ...... Edin. 1826
Clark's (Robert) View of the Office of Sheriff in Scotland, &c. 8vo. . . ib. 1824
Tait's (George) Summary of the Powers and Duties of a Justice of the Peace in Scotland, &c.
8vo. ......... ib. 1806
Bell's (Robert) Treatise on Leases, &c. 8co. ..... ib. 1803
(Professor George Joseph) Commentaries on the Municipal and Mercantile Law of
Scotland in relation to Bankruptcy. 2 vols. royal 8ro. . . . ib. 1804
Macmillan's (Anthony) Supplement to the Forms of Writings used in Scotland, &c. in relation
to Moveables, &c. 12»w>. . . . . . . . ib. 1786
Notes of Procedure in the Elections of the Representative Peers of Scotland. 8vo. ib. 1818
Tracts on Juries, &c. 8vo. containing,
1. Warrant under H. M.'s Sign Manual, appointing Commissioners to enquire into the Administration of
Justice in Scotland, November 1808.
2. Statement explaining Rules and Regulations for Jury Court. . . . Edin. 1819
3. Observations respecting the further Extension of Jury Trial in Civil Cases. . ib. 1819
4. Meadowbank's (Lord) Considerations on Jury Trial in Civil Cases. . ib. 1814
5. Report by the Commissaries of Edinburgh to the Commissioners, &c. . . ib. 180!>
6. Report of R. H. Cay, Judge of Admiralty Court, to the Commissioners, &c. . ib. 180!>
7. W 's (J ) Solus Populi Suprema Lex: &c. Rights of the People to assemble and prepare
Petitions to the King, &c. ...... Dub. 1819
Bruce's (Alexander) Institutions of Military Law, Ancient and Modern, &c. 85o. Edin. 1717
Creech's (William) Account of the Trial of William Brodie and George Smith, for breaking
into and robbing the Excise Office, on 5th March last, &c. 8co. . . ib. 1788
See Note to Heart of Mid-Lothian.
Trial of Sir Archibald Gordon Kinloch, of Gilmerton, Bart., for the Murder of Sir Fr. Kinloch,
Bart., his brother-german. With MS. note by Sir W. S. 8vo. . . ib. 1795
Trial of James Stuart, Esq. &c. June 10,1822, (for killing Sir Alexander Boswcll in a duel.)
2d edit. 8vo. . . . . . . . ib. 1822
See Life, vol. v. pp. 153-54.
Trial of William Burke and Helen M'Dougal, &c. 24th Dec. 1828, for the Murder of Margery Campbell, &c.; with a Preface.—Supplement to the Trial of Burke and M'Dougal, containing the whole legal proceedings against William Hare, in order to bring him to Trial for the Murder of Daft Jamie; with an Appendix.—Second Report of the same Trial; various Reports and Comments of the Newspapers, especially the Caledonian Mercury; several pamphlets, ballads, verses, articles from Phrenological Journal, and controversy between Mr. Combe and Dr. Stone, &c. bound up in 5 vols. 8vo. and a large Mo. Atlas of
coloured portraits, views, Sp. S.c. . . . . . Edin. 1829
See Lira, vol. vii. pp. 169-75.
Mackcoull's (John) Abuses of Justice, illustrated by my own case. 2d edit. 8vo. Lond. 1812
Memoir of the Life and Trial of James Mackcoull, or Moffat, who died in County Jail of
Edinburgh, 22d Dec. 1820, &c. With MS. note* by Sir W. S. 8vo. Edin. 1822
See Prose Works, vol. iii. p. 109, note.
Trials. 1. Report of Case, Paterson against Shaw, for a Libel, by imputing to the Pursuer false play at cards, tried at Edin. 7th June 1830.—2. Report of the Trial by Jury, Thomas Mackenzie, Esq. against Robert Roy, Esq. May 11, 1830. 8vo. . . ib. 1830
Medland (W. M.) and Weobly's (Charles) Collection of Remarkable and Interesting Criminal Trials, Actions at Law, &c. 2 vols. 8vo. .... Lond. 1803
Trials, Tracts, &c. 1 vol. 8vo. containing,
1. Perreau's (D.) Narrative of his unhappy Case, and his Transactions with Mrs. Rudd, &c. Lond. 1775
See Prou Works, vol. iii. p. its. '2. Rudd's (Mrs.) Facts: or Plain and Explicit Narrative of her Case, &c. . .. t'6. 1775
3. Proceedings, &c. on Trial of John Donellan, Esq. for the wilful Murder (by poison) of Sir Theod. E.
A. Boughton, Bart., tried at Warwick, 30th March 1781. . . . t6. 1781
4. Palmer's (T. F.) Narrative of the Sufferings of T. F. Palmer and W. Skirving, during a Voyage to
New South Wales 1794. 2d edit. . . . . Canb. 1797
5. Knox's (Rev. Dr. Vic.) Narrative of Transactions relative to his Sermon at Brighton, Aug. 18, 1793.
2d edit. ........ Lond. 1793
Blackstone's (Sir William) Commentaries on the Laws of England. \5th edit. with Notes and Additions, by Edward Christian, Esq. 4 vols. 8vo. . . . ib. 1809
Burn's (Dr. Richard) Justice of the Peace, and Parish Officer, lith edit. 4 vols. 8no.
Kyd's (Stewart) Treatise on the Law of Bills of Exchange. 3d edit. 8vo. . ib. 1795 Cooper, (C. P.) Lettres sur la Cour de la Chancellerie, &c. nouv. edit. 8vo. ib. 1828
Wilkinson's (G. T.) Authentic History of the Cato-Street Conspiracy; with the Trials of the Conspirators for High Treason and Murder, &c.—Fac-Similes of the Hand-writing of the different Conspirators, collected by Mr. Adolphus.—With MS. notes by Sir W. S. who was //resent at the trial. 8vo. . . . ■ . ■ ib. 1820
Pamphlets relative to Mr. Weare's Murder. 8vo. containing,
1. Complete History and Developement of all the circumstances and events connected with the Murdtr
of Mr. Weare, with the Trial at large, &c. .... Lond. 1824
2. Observer Newspaper, Jan. 12, 1824, and Supplement, containing the Trial.
3. Account of the Murder of Mr. Thomas Weare, &c . .... Edin.
4. Egan's (Pierce) Account of the Trial of John Thurtell and Joseph Hunt, and Recollections of John
Thurtell. ........ Lond.
5. Trial of John Thurtell and Joseph Hunt; uiik 6 vuwt. ib.
See Lifr, vol. vi. p. 33o; vol. vii. p. 140.
Trial of Colonel Quentin, of the 10th Hussars, by Court Martial, at Whitehall, 17th-31st Oct. 1814. 2d edit. 8vo. ....... ib. 1814