« IndietroContinua »
Brief Narrative of that Stupendous Tragedie, late intended to be acted by the Satanical Saints
of these reforming times. Trials, &c. and Confessions of Thomas Tonge, George Phillips,
&c. &c. Mo. ....... Loud. 1662
Scott, (Thomas) the Belgick Souldier, or Warre was a Blessing. Mo. . Dort, 1624
Eglisham's (George) Forerunner of Revenge upon the Duke of Buckingham for the poysoning
of the most potent King, &c. sm. Mo. .... Franckf. 1626
See Somers' Tracts. vol. v.
The Lady Elinor [Douglas, Second Wife of Sir Archibald Douglas,] her Appeal, &c. sm. Mo.
Burton's (Henry) Grand Impostor Unmasked; or a Detection of the notorious hypocrisie and desperate impiety of the late Archbishop (so styled) of Canterbury, &c. sm. Mo. Published according to order.
Lilburne's (Col. John) Triall by an Extraordinary or Speciall Commission, &c. Oct. 1649.
2 parts, with Observations upon the Triall, &c. Mo. . . Lond. 1649
The Secretary of the Scots Army, his Relation to the Commissioners respecting the King, &c.
1640.—Letter from Lord General Cromwell from Dunbar, &c. the 3d of Sept. 1650. sm. Mo.
Cromwell, (Oliver) A few Anecdotes and Observations relative to, and his family; rectifying the errors of Nicolaus Commenus, &c. sm. Mo. . . . ib. 1763
Tracts (Twelve) during the Civil War. sm. Mo. . . Lond. Edin. 1644-59
1. Rutherford's (Rev. Sam.) Fast Sermon before the House of Commons, Jan. 31, 1644, Edin. 1644
2. Answer of the Lords and Commons, &c. to several Papers of the Commissioners of Scotland. Lond. 1646
3. of the Commons to the Scots Commissioners' Paper and Letter of October last. ib. 1646
i. of the Scots Commissioners to both Houses of Parliament, upon the new Propositions, &c. ib. 1647
5. D[nmoulin] P(eter]? Another Parcel of Problemes concerning Religion, &c. . . 1648
Ck Answer of the Parliament of England to the King's (Charles II.) Declaration, &c .; printed at Edinburgh, &c. ......... Lond. 1650
7. Remonstrance, 27th Oetoher 1650, to the Committee of Estates, from the gentlemen, officers, ministers, £t•. at
8. Causes of the Lord's Wrath against Scotland, &c. by Mr. James Guthrie of Stirling. The Authorsl.ip of
this was the ground of his trial and execution after the Restoration, imperfect. . . 1653
9. Declaration by his Highness, &c.; setting forth, &c. the justice of their cause against Spain.
reprinted Edin. 1655
10. Lenthall's (Sir John) Humble Petition, setting forth his case, .... Ui53
11. Monde's (Lord General) Three Letters, to the Speaker, Lord Fleetwood, and Lord Lambert, Edin. 1659
12. The Grand Concernments of England ensured, &c. . . . reprinted Edin. 1659
Pitman's (Henry, Chyrurgion to the late Duke of Monmouth,) Relation of his Great Sufferings and Strange Adventures. sm. Mo. ..... Lond. 1689
Bacon's (Francis) Twoo Bookes of the Proficience and Advancement of Learning, &c. Mo.
Shakspeare's Plays. 2 vols. imperial 8vo. . . Edin. BoMantync, 1819
Ayscough's (Rev. Samuel) Index to the remarkable Passages and Words made use of by Shakspeare, &c. imperial 8vo. ..... Lond. 1790
Ballantyne's Novelist's Library; with Lives of the Authors, by Sir Walter Scott. 10 vols.
Vol. 5. Man of the World.
Clarissa Harlowe. V Richardson.
8. Sir C. Grandison. )
9. Gulliver's Travels, by Swift.
Barham Downs. ^ by R. Bage.
Romance of the Forest.
Castles of Athlin and Dunbayne.
by Mrs. RadclifFe.
GERMAN AND NORTHERN HISTORY AND LITERATURE; IRISH HISTORY; THEOLO-
Grimm, (Briider) Die beiden altesten Deutschen Gedichte aus dem 8,cn- Jahrhundert: Das
Lied von Hildebrand und Hadubrand, und das Weissenbrunner Gebet, &c. Mo. Cassel, 1812 Sammlung Deutscher Gedichte aus dem xii. xiii. and xiv. Jahrhundert. 3 vols. in 2. 4/o.
(with MS. Indexes, Sfc. by Henry Weber.) .... Berlin, 1784 Hagen, (F. H. von dcr) und Biisching, (Dr. J. G.) Deutsche Gedichte des Mittelalters. vol. 1.
4fo. ........ ib. 1808
Stanihureti (Rich.)DeRebusinHiberniagestisLibrilV. cumAppendice,&c. iio. Antwerp.158i Andersen Feldberg, (A.) Denmark Delineated; or Sketches of the present State of that
country. imperial 8vo. ...... Edin. 1824
Kong't-Skugg-sio, $c.; Speculum Regale. Danice et Latine, cum var. lect. notis, &c. ab
H. Einersen. Mo. . . . . . Soroe, 1768
See Poetical Works, vol. iv. p. 290.
Islands Landnamabok. Liber Originum Islandiae, cum vers. Latina, var. lect. &c. Edente Joan. Finnaeo. 4to. ...... Haun. 1774
Hielmstiernes Bogsamling, tienende til Oplysning af de under den Danske Regierung liggende
Staters Litteratur. Edente P. F. Suhm. 2 vols. ito. . . Kioben. 1782
Saxonis Grammatici Historia Danica, &c. cdidit Chr. Petrus. fol. . Parrhis. 1514 See Poetical Works, vol. iii. p. 242;—l.etters on Demonology, S[c.
Viga-Glums Saga. Vita Viga-Glumi, cum vers. Latina, notulis, &c. a G. Petersen. 4fo.
Dc Danorum Rebus Gestis Sec. iii. et iv., Poema Danicum dialecto Anglo-Saxonico. Ex Bibl.
Cotton. Mus. Brit, cdidit &c. G. J. Thorkelin. 4fo. . . . ib. 1815
Smith's (Rev. Dr. John) Galic Antiquities, consisting of a History of the Druids, Dissertation
on Ossian's Poems, &c . &c. 4fo. ..... Edin. 1780
Vallancey's (Major Charles,) Grammar of the Iberno-Celtic or Irish Language. 4to. Dub. 1773 Halliday's (Sir And.) Annals of the House of Hanover. 2 vols. imperial 8vo. Lond. 1826
Regis Magni, &c. Leges Gula-Thiugenses, sive Jus Commune Norvegicum, cum interp. Lat.
et Dan., var. lect. &c. cura G. J. Thorkelin. Fine Paper, 4to. . Haun. 1817
Gunnlaugi Vermilinguis et Rafnis Poetae Vitae. Island, et Lat. cum notis, &c. &c. Fine
Paper, ito. ........ ib. 1775
Rymbegla, sive Rudimentum Computi Ecclesiast., et Annales Vett. Islandorum, &c. &c. Isl. et
Latin. &c. cura Steph. Biornonis. 4to. .... Haun. 1780
Diplomatarium Arna-Magnaeanum, cxhihens Monumenta diplomatica quae collegit et Univer
sitati Havniensi testam. reliquit Arnas Magnaeus, &c. Kdidit G. J. Thorkelin. 2 vols. 4to.
Eyrbiggia Saga, sive Eyranorum Historia, Island, et Lat. cum nods, &c. G. J. Thorkelin.
4to. ........ ib. 1787
Sir W. Scott's Abstract of thit curious work will he found in Prose Works, vol. v. p. 255 et seg.
Hervarar Saga, &c. Historia Hervorae et Regis Heidreki, Isl. et Lat. cura Steph. Biornonis,
cum comment. P. F. Suhm, &c. 4fo. .... ib. 1785
See Poetical Works, vol ii. p. 257; vol. iii. p. 245.
Johnstone (Rev. James) Antiquitates Celto-Scandicae, sive Series rer. gest. inter Nationes Brit. Insul. et Gentes Septentrionales, &c.—Antiquitates Celto-Normanicae, containing the Chronicle of Man and the Isles, &c. &c. 2 vols. in \, 4to. . Copenhag. 1786
Magnusen, (Professor Finn) Oplysninger om Kilderne til Hr. Prof. Torkel Badens Sammenligning mellem den Nordiske og den Graefkromerske Mytbologie. 4fo. ib. 1821
Magnus, (Olaus) Compendious History of the Goths, Swedes and, Vandals, and other Northern Nations. Translated by J. S. fol. . . . Lond. 1658
See Notes to the Pirate. Poetical Works, Voi. i. pp. 204-5, &c. ; vol. iv. p. 295 ; vol. viii. note F.
vol. ix. p. 91-2.
Phillips, (Geo.) Dissertatio inaug. Historico-Juridica de Anglo-Saxonum Re Judiciaria. ito.
The Spirit of Popery speaking out of the Mouths of phanatical Protestants, or, Last Speeches of Mr. John Kid and Mr. John King, &c. With the Hist. of the Archbishop of St. Andrews his Murder, &c. fol. ... . . Lond. 1680
Webster's (Rev. James) Covenants of Redemption and Grace displayed. Mo. Edin. 1707 Impartial Account of the Prophets: in a Letter to a Friend. Mo. ib. no date, but about 1706 The Smoaking Flax unquenchable; where the Union betwixt the two Kingdoms is dissecated, &c. (against the Union, and in favour ofa Republic.) Mo. . . 1706
The Scotch Presbyterian Eloquence, or, the Foolishness of their teaching discovered from their Books, Sermons, and Prayers, &c. Second Edition with additions. Mo. Lond. 1693 Newcastle General Magazine for the year 1747- Mo. . . Neiec. 1747
Forms of Prayer composed on occasion of the present horrid and unnatural Rebellion. Mo.
Report of the Proceedings and Opinion of the Board of General Officers on the Conduct, &c. of Lieut-General Sir John Cope, &c. from the breaking out of the Rebellion in North Britain, in the year 1745, till the Action at Prestonpans inclusive. Mo. . Lond. 1749
Walker (Pat.) Biographia Presbyteriana. (Containing the Lives of the Rev. Alex. Peden,
John Semple, John Welwood, Donald Cargill, and Walter Smith; and the Life of the Rev.
James Renwick, by Alex. Shields.) 2 vols. 8ro. Fine Paper. . Edin. 1827
See Prose Works, vol. xix. p. 70; Letters on Demonology, p. 130; Life, vol. ir. p. 136, note.
Reflexions Libres et desinteressees d' un depute a la Chambre Basse du Parlement d' Angleterre, &c. contenant la Justification des Droits de la Maison Royole des Stuards. Trad, de l' Anglois. Avec quatre Suites. Mo. . . . Edim. et Darby, 1745-6
Genuine Account of the Lives, Behaviour, Confession, and dying words of the Three Scots Rebels, Donald M'Donald, James Nicholson, and Walter Ogilvie, executed 22d August 1746, for High Treason, at Kennington Common. Mo. . . . Lond. 17MS
Part of the Diary of Mr. George Murray, Seceding Minister in Annandale, (" The Second Part of my Life which I began to writte about the time the Lord was calling me forth to publick work in his Vineyard.")./row 1742 to 1753, MS. sm. Mo.
Scotch Presbyterian Eloquence, &c. Answer to Scotch Presbyterian Eloquence. 12wo.
Erskine's (Ralph) Elegiack Poem to the Memory of the great, &c. Mr. James Cuthbert, sometime Minister of the Gospel at Culross, who died October 1715.—Elegyi or Funeral Poem on the much lamented Death, &c. of the Rev. Mr. Alex. Hamilton, Minister of the
Gospel at Stirling, who died January 1738. 8co. . . . Edin. 1739
The Assembly's Shorter Catechism explained, two Parts, with Index by Mr. Fisher. Bth edit. \2mo. ........ Glasg. 1779 Sermons and Tracts. 1 vol. sm. 8vo. containing,
1. Stamp's (Rev. Dr. Wm.) Treatise of Spiritual Infatuation, being the present visible disease of the
English nation, &c. Sermons delivered at the Hague in 1650. . . repritU. Lond. 1716
2. Ranken (David, Episcopal Minister at Edinburgh,) The Safety of the Righteous Man from Injury
and Harm, &c. a Sermon, ........ Edin. 1716
3. Three Discourses, in which the persecuted Christian is exhorted to avoid irregular Sorrow, &c.
4. Poem on the Parable of the Prodigal, composed in England, above 20 years ago, by a young Gentle
man. . . . . . . . . . . ib. 1715
5. Munro's (Rev. Dr. Alex.) Short Account of the Reformation; proving that Episcopacy was the first
legally established Church Government in Scotland, . . . . ib. 1719
6. Asplin's (Rev. Samuel) Sermon at St. Mary, Woolwich, May 29, 1715, the Thanksgiving day for
putting an end to the Great Rebellion, &c. ..... Lond. 1715
7. Mynors's (Rev. Willoughby) Sermon on May 29, the Anniversary of King Charles the Second's
Restoration, ......... ib. 1707
8. Murder will out, or, the heinous Guilt of Murder and Assassination, &c. in a Sermon on November 5,
1717, Edin. 1717
9. Funeral Sermon on the Right Rev. &c . A. Munro, late L. Bp. of Edinburgh, by a Presbyter. »6. 1720
10. Dialogue between a Burgess of Edinburgh, and a Gentleman lately arrived in Scotland, concerning the
Union, &c. ......... wants title
11. Cockburn's (Rev. Wm.) Penitence the true Method of averting Judgment, &c. Sermon on 30th January
1718, .......... Edin.
Religions Tracts and Sermons. 1 vol. sm. 8vo. containing,
1. Coupar's (Rev. Pat.) Sermon at St. Andrews, at the Admission of the Rev. Alex. Anderson to be one
of the Ministers there, &c. ....... Edin. \725
2. Erskine's (Rev. Ebenezer) God's little remnant keeping their garments clean on an evil day, a
Sermon, June 1714. ........ ib. 1725
3. Christ in the Believer's Arms, a Sermon, May 1724. .... to. 1726
4. The Backslider characterised, a Sermon, October 1714. .... ib. 1726
5. Anderson's (Rev. Alex.) Marrow Chicaning displayed, in a Letter to the Rev. Mr. Erskine on the
Preface to his Sermon, " God's little Remnant," &c. . . . . ft. 1726
6. Erskine's (Rev. E.) The Viper shaken off, &c. being a short Answer to " Marrow Chicaning displayed," &c. a. 1726
7. Brown's (Rev. John) Rod of God shaken over the heads of his own Children, &c. a Sermon, March
1713,&c. a. 1722
8. Queries to the Presbyterians of Scotland, by a Scotch Gentleman (an Episcopalian.) ib.
9. Modest Apology, occasioned by the importunities of the Bishop of Derrie, &c. by a Minister of the
Gospel in Ireland, &c. ........ a. 1706
10. The 13th Chapter of Romans vindicated, &c,, by a Curate of Salop. . l.ond. 1710
11. Deseription of all the Kings of Scotland, &c. to the end of K. William's reign. . wants title
12. Winding Sheet for the Service Book, or, Reasons for which the B. of C. P. urged upon Scotland 1637,
ought to be refused, &c. ....... wants title
13. Danger of Popery discovered, &c. for the use of the Vulgar. 2d edit. . . Edin. 1714
14. Lowe's (And.) Vindication of the Church of Scotland from the malicious Aspersions of Mr. W.
Dugud, &c Lond. 1714
15. Country Friend's Answer to the Letter, &c. concerning the Settlement of Mr. James Chalmers in
Aberdeen, &c. ...... ... Edin. 1726