« IndietroContinua »
The Lord's Trumpet sounding an Alarm against Scotland, &c. the Substance of a preface and
two prophetical Sermons, preached at Glenluce, anno 1682, by that great Scottish Prophet
Mr. Alex. Pethine (Peden), &c. With MS. note by Sir W. S. sm. 4fo. no place or date See Poetical Works, vol. ii. p. 207.
Religious Tracts. 1 vol. tm. 8vo. containing,
1. Overtures concerning Kirk-Sessions and Presbyteries, from Committee of General Assembly. 1720
2. Mr. Anderson's Second Letter upon the Overtures, &c. .... Glasg, 1720
3. Third and Fourth Letters upon do. ...... ib. 1720
4. G , (J , Minister of Glasgow,) Just and Sober Remarks on some parts, &c. of the Overtures.
5. Wright's (Rev. W.) Negative discussed, in 2 parts. ..... a.' 1721
6. Hog's (Rev. James) Three Missives, &c. stating the Author's grounds for remaining in communion
with the Church of Scotland, &c. ....... Edin. 1717
7. News from Bathgate, a Poem. ........ 1718
8. Letter to a Minister, &c. respecting the parish of Bathgate. .... 1720
9. Libel, Mr. James Webster against Mr. John Sim6on, Professor of Divinity at Glasgow.—Additional
Libel and Representation. Mr. Simson's Speech and Answers to the Libels, &c. . wants title
10. H[og's] (Rev. J.) Proposals for Peace and Harmony, humbly offered, &c. to the Ministers and Mem
bers of the Church of Scotland. ....... Edin. 1718
11. The Cromwelian Ghost conjur'd, &c., or, Epaphroditus and Epaphras called to a New Conference, &a
12. Remarks upon the Review of a Conference betwixt Epaphroditus and Epaphras, &c. ft. 1719
13. Two Speeches, &c. of P. Nye and Alexander Henderson, &c. at St. Margaret's, Westminster, 1648.
reprinted, ib. 1720
14. Letter concerning the true State of the Question between the Non-jurant and Jurant Ministers of
the Church of Scotland. ........ wants title
15. Weleh, (Rev. John) The Great Gospel Summonds to close with Christ, &c. a Sermon preached 1675,&c.
reprinted, Glasg. 1720
16. History of the Life and Death of, ...... ft. 1720
17. Presbytery no friend to itself, &c.; Narrative of the Proceedings of the Presbytery of Kircudbright
against one of their number, (J. Mackmillan,) &c. . . . wants title, [but 1705.]
Lives of Presbyterian Ministers, &c. 1 vol. 8vo. containing,
1. Livingston's (Rev. John) Brief Historical Relation of his Life, written by himself during his banish
ment, &c. ........ reprinted, Glasg. 1754
2. Memorable Characteristies, &c. exemplified in the Lives of a considerable number of the most
eminent Divines and private Christians in Scotland, during the first century after the Reformation, &c.
3. Memoirs, &c. of Mr. Thomas Hog, Minister of the Gospel at Kilteam in Ross, &c. Edin. 1756
4. Memoirs, &c. of Mr. Robert Blair, Minister of the Gospel, St. Andrews. In two parts, (imperfect,)
5. Life of Mr. Alexander Peden, &c. (imperfect.)
6. Robe's (Rev. James) Narrative of the Extraordinary Work of the Spirit of God at Kilsyth. ft. 1742
Lacy's (John) Prophetical Warnings pronounced under the operation of the Spirit, &c. 3 parts in 1 vol. sm. 8vo. . . .... Lond. 1707
Campbell's (Sir Hugh, of Calder,) Collection of Letters relative to an Essay on the Lord's Prayer, with the Essay, &c. 12wo. .... Edin. 1704-9
Hog's (Rev. J. of Carnock,) Casuistical Essay upon the Lord's Prayer, &c. in answer to Sir Hugh Campbell and M. D' Espagne, &c. .... ib. 1705
Fraser's (Rev. James, of Brae,) Lawfulness and Duty of Separation from corrupt Ministers vindicated, &c.—Reasons, &c. for refusing the B. of C. P. urged upon Scotland in 1637, &c. 12mo. ....... ib. 1744
Dundas's (John, of Philipstoun, Procurator for the Church,) Abridgement of the Acts of the General Assemblie, &c. from 1638 to 1720. 12mo. . . . ib. 1721
Halyburton's (Rev. Thomas, Professor of Divinity at St. Andrews,) Memoirs of the Life of, chiefly written by himself. Published by Ms Widow. 8vo. . . ib. 1714
Warnings of the Eternal Spirit, pronounced by the mouth of James Cunninghame, in the Tolbooth of Edinburgh. 8vo. ...... Lond. 1712
Davidson's (Rev. H. of Galashiels,) Two Sermons preached at Galashiels, Nov. 17, 1723, immediately after an afflictive dispensation of Providence in the casting away of a boat on the River of Tweed at Boalside, in which many perished. With MS. note by Sir W. S., and a MS. Memorandum of the Accident. \2mo. . . Edin. 1763
Pilulae Spleneticae, or, a Laugh from a True Blue Presbyterian, (addressed to Messrs. E. Erskine, W. Wilson, A. Moncrief, and J. Fisher, Seceders from the Church.) 12mo.
True Relation of the Life and Sufferings of John Nisbet in Hardhil, fyc. with an Account of
his last words on the Scaffold, Dec. 4, 1685, by James Nisbet, Edin. Castle, June 6, 1819.
MS. 8vo. (Probaby a transcript from Howie's Scottish Worthies.) . . 1819
See Prose Wobkt>, vol. xix. pp. 49-50.
Memoirs, &c. of James Mitchell of Dykes, in the parish of Ardrossan, written by himself. 12nw.
Billingsley's (Nicholas) Martyrologie; containing a Collection of all the Persecutions of the Church of England, &c. to the end of Queen Mary's rcigne, a Poem. 1 2mo. Lond. 1657
Letter from a Gentleman in the Country to his Friend in the City, with an Answer thereto, (concerning the New Edinburgh or Dancing Assembly.) 8ro. . Edin. 1723
Tracts. 1 vol. \2mo. containing,
1. True.and Faithful Narrative of the whole complete Visions, Discoveries, and Warnings, &c. revealed
to John Porter of Crossibeg, in the Isle of Kintyre, &c. .... 1746
2. Shiels, (Rev. Alex.) The Scots Inquisition, containing a brief Description of the Persecution of the Pres
byterians in Scotland, during the Government of King Charles II. and the Duke of York,
reprinted, Eilin. 174.5
3. Ker's (Robert) Short Discourse of Peace and War, ..... 1718
Bowdler's (William) Devil's Cloven Foot in part discovered; or, a Discourse upon Injectments, &c. and other operations of Demons, &c. \2mo. . . Bristol, 1723 SHELF IV.
Shiels, (Rev. Alex.) The Hind let loose: or, a Historical Representation of the Testimonies of the Church of Scotland for the interest of Christ, &c.—Informatory Vindication of a poor, wasted, misrepresented remnant of the Suffering Preshyterian Church of Christ in Scotland, &c. Written in 1687, conjunctly with Mr. James Renwick, &c. \2mo. Edin. 1744
Notes of Sermons preached in the Hall of Sir Thomas Burnet, Bart, of Leys, in Aberdeenshire, by various Presbyterian Ministers, between July 1645, and August 1646, cfc. With Index. MS. imperfect.
Newton's (rot. John) Authentic Narrative of some Remarkable Particulars in his Life, in
letters to Haweis, &c. 3d edit. \2mo. .... Lond. 1765
Hamilton's (Sir Robert) Christian's conduct, or, a Witness for Truth against Error, &c. With
MS. note by Sir W. S. . . . . . . Edin. 1762
See Poetical Works, vol. ii. p. 219; Prom Works, vol. arix. p. 49.
Durham's (Rev. James) Blessedness of the death of those that die in the Lord, &c. In seven Sermons. With a Vindication of Mr. William Guthry, &c. 12mo. . 1681
Copy of several Conferences and Meetings that past between the Rev. Mr. Ogilvie, late minister of Innerwick, and the Ghost of Mr. Maxwell, the late laird of Cool, &c. \2mo. Edin. 1769
Cargill's (Rev. D.) Letter to his Paroch of the Barrony Kirk in Glasgow, March 27. 12mo. 1681
Loud Cry for Help to the Struggling Church of Scotland, being a Letter from an Elder in Glasgow, &c. (about Mr. Gillespie's case). \2mo. . . . Glasg. 1753
Apologeticall Relation of the particular Sufferings of the faithfull Ministers and Professours of the Church of Scotland, since August 1660, &c. &c. By a well-wisher to the good old cause. 12mo. ....... 1665
Clarkson's (Rev. Andrew) Plain Reasons for Presbyterians dissenting from the Revolution Church in Scotland, &c. With MS. note. \2mo. . . . 1731
Naphtali, or, the Wrestlings of the Church of Scotland for the Kingdom of Christ, &c. from the beginning of the Reformation until the year 1667, &c. &c. (Said to be written by Sir James Stewart of Goodtrees, and the Rev. James Stirling of Paisley). 12mo. reprint. 1693
Rectius Instruendum, or, a Review, &c. of the doctrine presented by one assuming the name of ane Informer, &c. &c. \2mo. ..... 1684
Tymme's (T.) Silver Watch-Bell, &c. &c. \9th impression, B. L. \2mo. Lond. 165!)
Fourteen Sermons by Scotch Presbyterian Ministers, principally on Saeramental Occasions. (5 by Ebenezer Erskine, 2 by John Brown, 1 by James Brisbane, 1 by Thomas Howy, 1 by James Webster, and 4 anonymous.) 1 vol. sm. 8co. . Edin. SfC. 1700-27
Ross's (Mrs.) Memoirs, or, Spiritual Exercises, Sec. written by herself. \2mo. Edin. 1735
Webster's (David) Calvinistic Purge for the Conscience; together with a few relies of Presbyterian Love, &c. With MS. Key. \2mo. . . . ib. 1811
Caryl's (Rev. Jos.) God's Mercy and Free Grace to North Britain, &c. a Sermon at Lincoln's Inn, 6th October. 12mo. ..... reprinted, Glasg. 1734
W. (R—) England's Summons; or, London's Alarum from Heaven, &c. 12mo. Lond. 1654
Relation of the fearfull Estate of Francis Spira, after he had turned Apostate from the Protestant Church to Popery, &c. 12/no. .... Glasg. 1761
Apology for, or Vindication of, the oppressed persecuted Ministers and Professors of the Presbyterian Reformed Religion in the Church of Scotland, &c. A2mo. 1677
Bruce's (Rev. Robert, of Kinnaird,) Sermons. (Dedicated to the Lord Provost, Baillies, &c. of Edinburgh, 1591). With MS. notice. \2mo. . . wantt title
Miscellaneous Tracts, in 1 vol. 12mo. containing,
1. Statutes of George Heriot's Hospital, ...... Edin. 1693
2. Laws and Ordinances touching Military Discipline, translated from the Dutch. . il>. 1689
3. Acts of the new Parliament of Women. ....... 1695
4. Sett and Decreet Arbitral of K. James VI. for the Government of the City of Edinburgh, ib. 1683
5. Acts of Town Council of Edinburgh, determining how long the Provost, &c. should continue in Office,
&c. .......... ib. 1683
6. Treaty Marine between Charles II. and Louis XIV. 1676-7. . . . 1677
7. Heads of Agreement assented to by the united Ministers in and about London, formerly called Presby
terian and Congregational. ....... Edin. 1691
8. Character of a good Wife. ......... 1695
9. [Tyler's (Alexander)] Signal Dangers and Deliverances, both by land and sea,&c .; comprehending
the raising the Siege of Vienna by the Turks, with a Violent Tempest in the Forth, November 1681, &c. Two Poems. ......... 1684
10. Warning to England, &c. Relation of the Baming Sword, &c. seen in the air near Stretham in Surrey,
October 1698, ........ Edin. repr. 1698
11. Abstract of the Bloody Massacre in Ireland, &c. in 1642; with an Epistle to all haters of Popery,
and Advice to a Painter, both in verse. ...... Load. 1688
12. Life and Death of the unfortunate Sir John Johnstone of Caskaban, Bart. executed at Tyburn,
December 1690, for stealing Mrs. Mary Wharton, &c. .... Edin. repr. 1694
13. Sinclair's (Prof. Geo.) Doctrine of the Sphere. ..... wanit title
14. Proteus bound with Chains, or, Discovery of the Secrets of Nature, &c. found in the Mercurial
Weather-Glass. . ........ Edin. 1688
15. Paterson's (James) Geographical Description of Scotland, 3d edit. . . . ih. 1687
16. National 1 Covenant, or, Confession of Faith of the Kirk of Scotland, &c. . . . 1678
17. Acts of the General Assembly 1646-9.
18. Renwick, (James) and Shiels, (Alex.) Informatory Vindication of a poor, wasted, misrepresented
Remnant of the true suffering Presbyterian Church of Christ in Scotland, &c. let edit. 1687
19. Mackenzie (Sir Geo.) De Humanae Ratiocinationis Imbecilitate, &c. . . Dr. ad Mi. 1690
Religious Tracts. 1 vol. \2mo. containing,
1. Rutherfurd's (Rev. Samuel) Power and Prevalency of Faith and Prayer, &c. . repr. 1713
2. Usher's (Arbp.) Sermon preached before the House of Commons, 18th February 1620, (against Popery,)
3. Barry's (Rev. James) Reviving Cordial for a Sin-sick despairing Soul, &c. &c. 2d edit. Edin. 1722
4. Erskine's (Rev. Eben.) Sermon on the Necessity and Profitableness of good Works. . ib. 1726
Sion in Distress, or, the Groans of the Protestant Church ; a poem. 2d edit. \2mo. Lond. 1681
Remarkable Instance of Free Grace at the eleventh hour, &c. in Nicholas Mooney, executed at Bristol for Robbery, April 24, 1752, &c. \2mo. . . . 1752
The Poor Man's Lamentation for the present State of Religion in this land; a poem. 12mo.
Scotland's Glory and her Shame; &c., (a Poem.) By a Well-Wisher to the good old cause.
12f»o. ......... 1773
Abererombie, (Mrs. Margaret) True Account of the last words of, before and at her death,
January 23, 1720. 12mo. ...... Edin. 1729
Earlston, (Lady) Acc. of the particular soliloquies and covenant engagements of. 16mo. ib. 1751 Shiels's (Rev. Alex.) Life and Death of that eminently pious, free, and faithful minister and
martyr of Christ Jesus, Mr. James Renwick. \2mo. . . ib. 1724
Edwards's (Rev. Jonathan) Life of the late Rev. Mr. David Brainerd, Missionary to the Indians, &c. chiefly taken from his own Diary. 8w. .... Edin. 1765
Spelman's (Sir Henry) History and Fate of Saerilege, &c. Svo. . Lond. 1698
Cloud of Witnesses for the Royal Prerogatives of Jesus Christ, or, the Last Speeches and Testimonies of those who have suffered for the Truth in Scotland since the year 1680. Svo.
See Poetical Works, vol. ii. p. 215.
Quakerism Canvassed. Robin Barclay baffled in the defending of his Theses against young
Students at Aberdeen, (A. ShirrefT, J. Leslie, and P. Gellie.) sm. 4/o. Aberd. 1675
Latimer's (Master Hugh, Bishop of Worcester,) Fruitfull Sermons, &c. ito. Lond. 1635
See Note to The Abbot.
Anglorum Speculum; or, the Worthies of England in Church and State, alphabetically digested into the several Shires and Counties, &c. by G. S. (abridgment of Fuller's Worthies.) sm. Svo.
Howie's (John, of Lochgoin,) Biographia Scoticana, a Brief Historical Account, &c. of the most eminent Scots Worthies, &c. from Mr. P. Hamilton, who suffered Martyrdom at St. Andrews, 1527, to Mr. James Renwick, executed in the Grassmarket of Edinburgh, 16g8, &c. 3d Glasgow edit. Svo. ...... Glasg. 1797
The Same. Svo. ....... LeM, 1816
See Poktical Works, vol. ii. pp. 211, 234; Notet to Old Mortality, and to Redgautitlet. Prosk Works,
vol. vii. p. 140, vol. xix p. 49, &e.
Howie's (John) Faithful Contendings displayed; being an Historical Relation of the state and
actings of the suffering remnant of the Church of Scotland, &c., from 1681 to 1691, by Mr.
Michael Shields; with Mr. James Guthrie's Ten Considerations on the danger of Apostacv
from the Covenant, and Sermons by Messrs. J. Kid, J. King, &c. Svo. Glasg. 1780
See Notes to Old Mortality and Heart of Mid-Lothian.
Boston's (Rev. Thomas) Memoirs of his Life, Times, and Writings, &c. Svo. Edin. 1776