« IndietroContinua »
Russell's (Rev. Hugh) Journey from Time to Eternity. \2mo.
Rae's (Patrick, of Kirkconnell) Scotish Dove with an Olive Branch, or, Peace and Unity
between Jurant and Non-jurant, &c. 8co. .... Edin. 1732
Calderwood's (John) Collection of Dying Testimonies of some holy and pious christians in
Scotland, before and since the Revolution, &c. with preface. With MS. note by Sir W. S.
\2mo. ....... Kilmarnock, 180(i
Park, (Robert, Town Clerk of Glasgow) The Rights and Liberties of the Church asserted and
vindicated against Patronage, &c. With MS. note by Sir W. S. 8vo. Edin. 168ft
Livingston's (Rev. John) Brief Historical Relation of his Life, &c. and Memorable Characteristics, &c. em. 8vo. ...... Glasg.M5t
M'Rae, (Rev. James) The Bereans defended and vindicated, &c. from the reflections &c. of
Mr. Robert Foote, Minister of Fettercairn, &c . \2mo. . . Edin. 1776
Keith's (George) Way cast up und Stumbling Blocks removed, &c. Answer to a P'S. at the
end of Samuel Rutherford's Letters, &c. 8vo. . . . Aberd. 1677
Pagitt's (Rev. Ephraim) Heresiography, or, a Description and History of the Hereticks and
Sectaries sprang up in these latter times, &c. 6th edit. Edited by J. Heath. 8vo. Lond. 1662 Apocodyp!is, or, the Revelation of certain notorious advancers of Heresie, &c. Translated out
of Latin by J. D. 3d edit. sm. 8vo. . . . . ib. 1671
Cry from the Desert: or, Testimonials of.thc Miraculous Things lately come to pass in the
Cevennes, &c. With Preface by John Lacy. 2d edit. With MS. note by Sir W. S. 8vo.
See Prose Works, vol. xix. pp. 7S-6. Pious Tracts. 1 vol. 12mo. containing,
1. Key's (Rev. Dr.) New Catechism, &c. b. Axford's (John) Hidden Truths brought to Light.
'2. Thackery's (T.) Choice Drop of Honey, &c. 6. Baxter's (Richard) God's Call to unconverted
3. Golden Chain of Four Links, &c . 22d edit. Sinners.
4. Boston's (Rev. T.) Sermon on the Lord's Supper. all printed at Newcastle.
Reid, (Alex, a Scotish Covenanter,) Life of; written by himself. (Edited by his great grandson, Archibald Prentice, Editor of the Manchester Guardian.) \2mo. Manchester, 1822 Wilson's (Wm. Schoolmaster in Douglas,) Select Meditations in Spiritual Songs. I2mo. 1759
Speeches, &c. of the Regicides. sm. 4to. containing,
1. Speeches and Prayers of some of the late King's Judges, &c. . . . Lond. 1660
2. Vane's (Sir Henry) Two Treatises. 1. Epistle General, &c. 2. The face of the Times, &c. ib. 1662
3. Speeches, &c. of Barkstead, Okey, and Corbet, &c. . . . . A. 1662
4. Tryal of Sir Henry Vane, &c. with his Speech and Prayer on the Scaffold, &c. . ib. 1662
5. Life and Death of Sir Henry Vane, ..... ib. 1662
6. Narrative of Apprehension, Condemnation, and Execution of John James, &c. ■ ib. 1662
Swift's (Dean) Tale of a Tub, and Battle of the Books. 3d edit. 8vo. . ib. 1704
The Western Martyrology, or, Bloody Assizes; containing the Lives, Tryal, and Dying Speeches, &c. of those that suffer'd in the West of England, &c. from 1678 to this time. With the Life and Death of George Lord Jcffereys. 5th. edit. 8vo. Lond. 1705
Person's (David, of Loghlands in Scotland,) Varieties, or, a Survey of Rare and Excellent Matters, &c. ito. ...... . ib. 1635
Dictionary of all Religions, Ancient and Modern. (Ascribed to Defoe.) 8vo. ib. 1704
M (T M. A.) Cloud of Witnesses, or, The Sufferer's Mirrour; made up of the Swanlike Songs, and other choice passages of Martyrs and Confessors to the Sixteenth Century, &c. Collected out of the Ecclesiastical Histories of Fox, Fuller, Petrie, &c. In 3 parts. Appendix to the Sufferer's Mirrour, &c. 8vo. . . ib. 1665, 70, 77
Remarkable Life and Death of the Rev. Mr. Alexander Peden, late Minister of the Gospel at Glenluce, &c. Edited by J. Duncan, Lavenham, Suffolk. 8vo. . Lond. 1774
Vindication of the fundamental Charter of Presbytery from the exceptions of the Country-man in his Letter to a Curate, &c. 8vo. . . . . . ib. 1713
Kirtown, [[Kirkton] (Rev. Jas.) History of Mr. John Welsh, Minister of the Gospel at Aire. 4,lo. ........ ib. 1703
Babel, or, The Assemblie, a Poem, originalie in the Irish Tongue, and now translated into Scotch for the benefit of the Lieges. BgJ.P.,Sfc. MS. ito. . . 1692
The author's initials in this MS. would seem to negative the assumption of Mr. Kinloch, (in his edition, printed for the Maitland Club,) of its being the production of Dr. Archibald Pitcairn.
True and Impartial Account of the Most Rev. Father in God, Dr. James Sharpe, Archbishop of St. Andrews. With a Narrative of his Murder, sm. 8vo. . . 1723
Whitefield's (Rev. Geo.) Short Account of God's dealings with him, from his Infancy to his entering into Holy Orders; written by himself, &c.—The Expounder Expounded, or, Annotations upon that incomparable piece, entitled, A Short Account, &c. By R—ph J—ps-n,
Esq. 8co. ........ Lond. 1740
Sec Prose Works, vol. iii. pp. 435-437.
Bugg's (Rev. Francis) Tracts against the Quakers, &c. 8vo. Lond. 1699-1702. containing,
1. Narrative of a Conference at Sluford, August 25, 1701, .... 1702
2. News from New Rome, occasioned by the Quakers challenging Fr. Bugg, &c. . 1701
3. Modest Defence of my Book, entitled, Quakerism Exposed, &c. . . . 1700
4. Quakerism Exposed to Publick Censure, &c. . . . . . 1699
Tracts against the Quakers. 1 vol. \2mo. containing,
1. The Spirit of the Hat, &.c . By G. J. . . . . . Lond. 1673
2. Hickes's (Thomas) Dialogue between a Christian and a Quaker, &c. 2d edit. A. 1673
3. The Quaker's Appeal answered, &c ..... ib. 1674
4. The Danger of Enthusiasm discovered, in an Epistle to the Quakers. . . 1674
Journal, &c. of the Life, Travels, Sufferings, Christian Experiences, and Labour of Love, &c. of that ancient, eminent, and faithful Servant of J esus Christ, George Fox. 2 vols. 8vo. ib. 1709
Aiton's (Wm.) History of the Rencounter at Drumelog, and Battle of Bothwell Bridge, 1679, with an Account of what is correct and what is fictitious in the " Tales of my Landlord," respecting these Engagements, &c. 8co. .... Hamilton, 1821
Brownlee's (Thomas, Laird of Torfoot,) Narrative of the Battles of Drumelog and Bothwell
Bridge, &c. 8v0. . . . . . . Edin. 1823
"A very poor forgery."—Sir W. S.'s MS. note.
Tracts relating to the Disturbances connected with the Scottish Service-Book in 1638, in 1 vol sm. 4to. containing,
1. Short Relation of the State of the Kfrk of Scotland, &c. . . . Edin. 1638
2. Confession of Faith of the Kirk of Scotland, . . . . ib. 1 638
3. Reasons for a General Assemblie. . . . . . ib. 1638
4. Proclamation from the King at Greenwich, (broadside fol.) June 8, 1638.
5. Protestation of the Noblemen, &c. Subscribers to the Confession of Faith and Covenant, lately renewed.
&c . made at the Mercate Cross of Edinburgh, July 4, 1638.
6. General Demands concerning the late Covenant, propounded by the Ministers, &c. at Aberdene, to some
reverend Brethren who came thither, &c. together with the Answers of those reverend Brethren, &c. as also the Replyes of the foresaid Ministers, &c. .... 1638
7. Marquis of Hamilton's Vindication, &c. in Answer to the Ministers, &c . . 1638
8. Answers of some Brethren of the Ministrie (Alex. Henderson and David Dickson,) to the Replyes
of the Ministers, &c. of Aberdeen, &c. ..... 1638
9. The Beast is wounded, or, Information from Scotland, concerning their Reformation, &c. Printed in
the year that the Bishops had their downfal in Scotland.
10. Proclamation of the King from Oatlands, (9th Sept.) and Confession of Faith, &o. subscribed by James
Marquis of Hammilton, &c. at Haly-rude House the 22d of September, . . 1638
11. Protestation of the Noblemen, Barons, &c. made at the Mercate Crosse, &c. 22d Sept. immediately
after reading the Proclamation of Sept 9, . . . . 1638
12. Ramsay's (Andrew) Warning to come out of Babylon, in a Sermon at the receiving of Mr. Thomas
Abemethie, sometime Jesuite, &c. ...... 1638
13. Abernethie's (Thomas) Abjuration of Poperie, &c. in the Grayfreir Church, 24th August, 1638
14. Answere to M. J. Forbes of Corse, his Peaceable Warning, .... 1638
15. Profession and Declaration of James, Marquis of Hamilton, &c. December, . 1638
16. Answer of General Assemblie to Marquis of Hamilton's Profession, &c. 14th February, 1639
17. Protestation of General Assemblie, made in the High Kirk and at the Mercate Crosse of Glasgow,
28th and 29th November, . . . . . .1638
18. Proclamation from the King from Whitehall, 8th December, . . .1638
19. Protestation of General Assemblie, &c . made at the Mercate Crosse of Edinburgh, 18th Dec. 1638
20. Information to all good Christians within the Kingdom of England, from the Noblemen, Barons, &c.
of Scotland, ........ 1639
Passionate Remonstrance, made by His Holinesse, &c. upon the late proceedings and great Covenant of Scotland, &c. 4to. ..... Edin. 1646
Collection of Loyal Poems, all of them written upon the two late Plots, viz. the Salamanca Plot of 1678, and the present fanatical Conspiracy in 1683, &c. collected by Nathaniel Thompson. 8co. ....... Lond. 1683
Political Poems (Jacobite) relative to the Rebellion in 1745-6. thin Mo. MS.
Highland Tracts. 1 vol 8vo. containing,
1. Short History of the Highland Regiments, &c. .... Lond. 1743
2. Memoirs, of the old Highlander, Serj. Donald Macleod, now in the 103d year of his Age. ib. 1791
3. Copy of a Letter from a Gentleman in London, to a Friend in Bath, (on the Cruelties towards the
Highland Officers after the Battle of Culloden.) .... Bath, 1750
Religious Poems. 1 vol. 8vo. containing,
1. The Kirkiad, or, Golden Age of the Church of Scotland. . . Edin. 1774
2. The Reformers, a Satirical Poem. . . . . ft.1793
3. Jamieson's, (Rev. Dr. John) Eternity. ..... ib. 179(f
4. Monro's (John) Celestial Excursion. ..... Leilh, 1814
5. Young's (W.) Airdrie Fair. ... . . . . Glasg. 1792
Vol. of Miscellaneous Scotch Tracts. 8vo. containing,
1. Drummond's (Hon. and Rev. Rob. Hay) Town Eclogue, a Satirical Poem. With MS. Key and notes.
See PomcaL Works, vol. vi. noU to Canto IV.
2. Jeffrey's (Francis) Observations on Thelwall's Letter to the Editor of Edinburgh Review. ib. 1804
3. Brown's (Rev. Dr. And.) Love of Country, &c. a Sermon. .... ib. 1801
4. Bell's (John) Memorial, &c. on Military and Naval Surgery. . . . ib. 1800
5. Minto's (Lord) Speech at Roxburgh County Meeting. . . . Kelso, 1803
6. Mackenzie's (Colin) Observations on the introduction of Roads into the Highlands. Edin. 1801
7. Bell's (Rob.) Observations on the Danger, &c. of double-holding, &c. in Dispositions to Lands in
Scotland. ....... ib.
The Presbyterie's Triall, or, the Occasion and Motives of Conversion to the Gatholique Faith of a Person of quality in Scotland, &c. ByF. W. S. sm. 8vo. Paris,permissu superiorum, 1657
E/r.wv BamXixri divriga. The Pourtraiture of his sacred Majesty King Charles II., with his reasons for turning Roman Catholick. Published by King James. 8vo. Lond. 1694
Crichton's (Rev. Dr. Andrew) Memoirs of the Rev. John Blackader, compiled chiefly from
unpublished MSS. &c. written by himself while prisoner on the Bass, &c. 12mo. Edin. 1823
See Prose Works, vol. xix. p. 54.
Life and Diary of Lieut.-Col. J. Blackader, of the Cameronian Regiment, &c. 8vo. ib. 1824
Wodrow's (Rev. Robert) Life of James Wodrow, Professor of Divinity at Glasgow, from 1692 to 1707. Edited by Rev. Dr. John Campbell. 12mo. . . ib. 1828
Collection of Twenty-four Sermons and Tracts on King Charles's Martyrdom, the Restoration, King's Accession, the Rebellion of 1715, &c. &c.; by Bishops Kennett, Hoadley, and Burnet, Drs. J. Turner, E. Sydall, Edm. Calamy, Pooley, Waugh, Synge, John Hoadley, Messrs. Ibbot, Skerret, Lambe, Peploe, Acres, &c. 8vo. . . Lond. 1706-16
Duncan's (Rev. Dr. Alexander, Minister of Smallholm,) Preservative against the Principles of Infidelity. \2mo. ....... Edin. 1774
Crawfurd's (Rev. W., Minister of Wiltoun,) Short Manual against the Infidelity of this age, &c.; and Synod Sermon, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. \2mo. ib. 1748
Zion's Traveller, or, the Soul's Progress to Heaven. 2d edit. 12mo. ib. 1743
Religious Tracts, &c. 1 vol. 12mo. containing,
1. The Power of Grace illustrated, in six Letters from a Minister of the Reformed Church to the Rev.
John Newton; translated from the Latin by William Cowper, Esq. (the poet) Edin. 1792
2. Erskine's (Rev. Dr. John) Letters, &c. to comfort those bereaved of parents or friends, &c. 3d edit.
3. Young, (James1 Faith promoted and Tears prevented, &c. in a Letter to his spouse from London, 1697.
4. Goldsmith's (Dr. Oliver) Traveller, or, Prospect of Society. 6th edit. . Land. MTb Orpen's (Dr. C. E. H.) Contrast between Atheism, Paganism, nnd Christianity, illustrated; or,
the uneducated Deaf and Dumb, or Heathens, compared with those instructed in language
and revelation, &c. 12mo. ...... Dub. 1828
Boston's (Rev. Thomas) Select Discourses on Practical Subjects. sm. 8vo. Glasg. 1768 Godwin's (Thomas) English Exposition of the Roman Antiquities. Lond. 1661.—2. Moses
and Aaron: Civil and Ecclesiastical Rites of the Ancient Hebrews. 8th edit. Lond. 1662.
—3. Rous's (Fr.) and Bogan's (Zach.) Seven Books of the Attick Antiquities. 5th edit.
Oxford, 1658. sm. Mo. . . . . . 1658-61
Featley's (Dr. Daniel) Dippers Dipt, or, the Anabaptists Duck'd and Plung'd over head and
cars, &c. 5th edit. Mo. ...... Lond. 1647
Minute Book of the General Meeting of the Correspondent Meeting of Nithsdale, (Cameronians,)
from August 1693 to October 1760. MS. sm. 4/o. Records of the Meetings of the Reformed Presbytery (Camerontaris) at Quarreltoun, from
1693 to 1729. MS. sm. 8vo. Tracts. 1 vol. sm. 4to. containing,
1. General Demands of the Rev. D. D.'s and Ministers, &c. in Aberdeen, concerning the late Covenant
in Scotland. Together with the Answeres, Replyes, and Duplyes, that followed thereupon in 1638. Reprinted in one book by order of Parliament, . . . Aberd. 1663
(See KoI. 6$-st/<V of Tracii in p. s3.i
2. Declaration of the Brethren who are for the Established Government and Judicatures of this Church, &c.
3. Usher's (Archbishop) Original of Bishops and Metropolitans.—Chillingworth's (William) Apostolical
Institution of Episcopacy, &c . ..... reprinted, ib. 1703
4. Information for the Earl of Sutherland against the Earl of Crawfurd, &c. . . ft. 1706 Answer to the Declaration of the Pretended Assembly at Dundee, &c.—Reply to the late
printed Answer to the Letter directed by the Protesters to their Brethren, &c. sm. 4to. 1653 Hale's (Sir Matthew) Contemplations, Moral and Divine. 8co. . . Lond. 1679
Rabbi Nathan, Tractatus de Partibus: in Ling. Latin, translatus cum notis, &c. Francisci
Taileri, &c. sm. 4to. . . . . . . to. 1654