« IndietroContinua »
5. Sketch the history of the Equites, pointing out
how they became an ordo in the State.
6. Consider the political value of the Tribunate.
7. Give some account of the provincial organization
8. How did the need of special organization in Egypt
arise? How was it met?
9. Trace, briefly, the history of the relations between
Rome and the Jews.
10. Shew that the transition from Domitian to Nerva
marks an important epoch. What parallel in
English history may be instituted ? 11. Discuss the influence of Justinian's reign on the
moral and political condition of the Empire. 12. What year would you fix as marking the termin
ation of the Roman Empire in the East, and for what reasons ?
PAPER No. 3.
The Board of Examiners. 1. Sketch the political condition of England in the
time of Edgar. 2. Trace the history of the Ceorl to the close of the
3 Describe concisely the state of Ireland at the time
of Henry the Second's landing. 4. Explain the feudal incident of Marriage. In the
Kingdom of Jerusalem a remarkable law on this subject prevailed. What was it? Where and what was the Kingdom of Jerusalem ?
5. On what grounds may it be held that the Des
pensers rendered valuable services in framing the constitution of England ?
6. What was Tallage ? What was Scutage? When
and why were they discontinued ?
7. How would you formulate the principles of the
party which supported the prerogative claimed by Richard the Second ?
8. How would you formulate the principles of the
party which opposed the prerogative claimed by Richard the Second ?
9. Explain the phrase "the three Estates of the
Realm.” What is meant by an Estate ?
10. Trace the history of the distinction between the
ordinary and the extraordinary revenue of the Crown.
11. State and explain the cause of the fall of Henry
12. Trace briefly the history of the right to alienate
land in England, down to the reign of Henry the Eighth.
PAPER NO. 4.
The Board of Examiners.
1. What were the dangers to which Henry the Seventh was exposed? How did he counteract them?
2. Trace shortly the history of the theory of the Royal prerogative.
3. What were the "monopolies " of Elizabeth's time? How did her Parliaments deal with them?
4. What do you conceive to have been" the principal grievance under the Tudors"? Give instances.
5. Give some account of the administration of Sir Arthur Chichester in Ireland.
6. Give a brief summary of the legislation of the reign of Charles the Second,
7. Mention and discuss some of the principal impeachments since the reign of James the First,
8. Examine briefly any "ebullitions of epidemical enthusiasm " in reference to religion that you may have observed in your reading.
9. What is the meaning of the statement that "the slavery of native Scotchmen continued to be recognised in that country to the very end of last century?"
10. Discuss the obligations of a party leader, and con
sider in particular the conduct of Sir Robert Peel
regarding the great measures of 1829 and 1846. 11. What changes in Indian administration are due
to Lord William Bentinck ?
12. Explain the Imperial legislation of 1850 in regard
to the Australian colonies.
PAPER No. 5.
The Board of Examiners. 1. What meaning does Adam Smith give to the
phrase Political Economy?
2. Into what periods may the economic development
of society be divided? Give the characteristics of each period.
3. Consider Political Economy as an aid to the
interpretation of History.
4. Consider the relation of Statistics to Political
5. Can you construct a formula which will define
precisely the limits, positive and negative, of State interference ?
? 6. Distinguish between Anarchy, Communism, and
Socialism, and trace the different phases of
7. Explain fully what is meant by a Market.
8. Explain the nature and functions of Capital, as
understood in modern industrial society.
9. State generally the conditions which determine
the purchasing power of money. Discuss the causes which make it difficult to measure changes
in the value of money. 10. What are the several evils to which paper cur
rency generally is liable. Do they, or any of them, admit of counteraction ?
11. State concisely the main features of the theory of
Wages, propounded by Mr. Mill and Professor Walker respectively. Add any criticism you may think requisite.
12. Give an estimate of Malthus as an economist.
PAPER No. 6.
The Board of Examiners. 1. Shew that practical evils have resulted from
ignoring the scientific character of the study of
Political Economy. 2. Considered logically, an economic law differs in
certain circumstances from a law of an advanced physical science. What are the circumstances, and how does their existence affect the solution of economic problems?