« IndietroContinua »
153. HUMOROUS ETCHINGS. The Sayings of the Ancients illustrated by the Doings of the Moderns. 24 highly humorous etchings (on 6 plates). [By William Heath.] Oblong folio, half morocco. Plates laid down on heavy paper, with original wrappers preserved. Original edn. Scarce. Lond., n. d.
154. HUNGARY. The Illustrated History of Hungary and the Magyars. By E. L. Godkin. Illust. Royal 8vo, cloth. Lond. 1853
155. HYMNALS. Spiritual Songs, Ancient and Modern; √ Pearce's Hymn Music; and others. 9 vols.
LUSTRATED BOOKS. Sketches Abroad with
156. ILLUSTRATED BOOKS.
Pen and Pencil. By Felix O. C. Darley. FIRST
EDN. Illust. by Darley, etc. Post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1868
Sabbath Bells Chimed by the Poets. With the series of charming illusts., in color, by Birket Foster and others. 8vo, full calf antique [Lond., ca. 1860]
Spanish Pictures drawn with pen and pencil, illust. by Doré and others, Lond.; Golden Thoughts from Golden Fountains, illust. after Wolf, Houghton and others. 2 vols. royal 8vo, cloth extra. Lond.
161. The Illustrated Book of Sacred Poems, edited by Robert H. Baynes, illust. by Selous, Leitch, and others; Song Pilgrimage Round the World, by Philip Phillips, fully illust. 2 vols. royal 8vo, cloth extra. Lond., etc.
Ornaments of Memory, numerous fine full-page steel plates, N. Y. 1855; Home Fairies and Heart Flowers, studies of children's heads, with floral embellishments, by Frank French, N. Y. 1887. 2 vols. 4to, original cloth.
163. The Spirit of Praise, a Collection of Hymns, old and new, illust. by eminent artists, and with numerous ornate initials, etc., Lond.; Nature and Poems, Poems and Pictures from the best Authors and Artists (etchings after Rajon, Moran, Gifford, etc.), Bost. 1882. 2 vols. royal Svo, cloth extra.
164. Christian Ballads, by Arthur C. Coxe, illust., full morocco, N. Y. 1865; The Book of Celebrated Poems, illust. by 80 engravings after Cope, Kenny Meadows, etc., Lond. 1854. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth extra.
165. ILLUSTRATED BOOKS. Pen and Pencil, by Mrs. Balmanno (illustrative of famous scenes in English history, etc., etc., N. Y. 1858); The Seasons, by James Thomson, illust. by Birket Foster and others, N. Y. 1859. 2 vols. full morocco, gilt edges.
Sacred Allegories, by Samuel Adams, with numerous illusts. by Birket Foster, 8vo, cloth, gilt edges, Phil. 1858; Gleanings, Pictorial and Antiquarian, of the Overland Route [Bartlett], illust., royal 8vo, full calf, Lond. 1851; and another. 3 vols.
167. The Book of Job, 50 illusts. by John Gilbert, Lond. 1857; Rhymes and Roundelayes in Praise of a Country Life, with numerous charming illusts. by Birket Foster and others, Lond. 1858; and another, similar. 3 vols. 8vo,
Home Thoughts and Home Scenes, illust., Bost. [ca. 1865] (pp. loose); The Art Journal for 1877, with numerous fine steel plates; and another. 3 vols. royal 4to, etc.
169. Sketches in Water-colors, by Various Artists, numerous colored plates, 4to, cloth (2 copies), Lond. [ca. 1880]; The Great Painters' Gospel, pictures representing scenes in the life of Christ [Bailey], Bost. 1900. 3 vols. 4to, cloth.
✓ 171. INDIANS. Seven and Nine Years among the Co-
Philadelphia and Notable Philadelphians, by Moses King, numerous portraits, etc., 1902; Opera Singers [Kobbé], numerous portraits, N. Y. 1901; The Little I Saw of Cuba [McIntosh], illust., 1899; and others. 7 vols. folio,
✓ 173. IRVING (WASHINGTON). Wolfert's Roost. FIRST / But EDN. Front. and vignette title by Darley. Post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1855
174. The Works of Irving, including the Life of Washington. Some vols. illust. 10 vols. thick 12mo, cloth. Bost. [recent]
175. JAPANESE PLAYS AND PLAYFELLOWS. By
176. JEAFFRESON (JNO. CORDY). A Book about the Table. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth, uncut (one vol. loose in covers). Lond. 1875
177. JEFFERIES (RICHARD). Nature and Eternity, with other uncollected Papers. One of 425 copies printed on Japan vellum. 16mo. Portland, Me.: Mosher, 1902
178. JEWISH AND CHRISTIAN HISTORY. Bible Narrative and Jewish History, etc. Illust. 3 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
179. KEATS AND SEVERN.
The Life and Letters of Joseph Severn. By Wm. Sharp. Portraits, facsimiles of drawings by Severn, and Letters, etc., of Keats, Leigh Hunt and others. Royal 8vo, original buckram, gilt top edge. N. Y. 1892
180. KELLY (MICHAEL-of the King's Theatre, etc.). Reminiscences of, with Anecdotes of Distinguished Persons. FIRST EDN. Portrait. 2 vols. 8vo, half morocco (titles a little soiled). Lond. 1826
181. KING (MARY PERRY). Comfort and Exercise, an Essay toward Normal Conduct, cloth, Bost. 1900; The Basis 2 vols.
182. [KING (WILLIAM).] The Art of Cookery, in imitation of Horace's Art of Poetry-humbly inscribed to the Hon. Beef Steak Club. 8vo, half calf (a few pp wormed). With bookplate of R. Le Gallienne. Lond. [circa 1720]
183. KNIGHT (CHARLES). The Popular History of England. Illust. 9 vols. 12mo, cloth. N. Y., n. d.
184. LAI AKE CHAMPLAIN and its Shores [Murray], 1890; Round the Globe in Old and New Paths [M'Collester], Bost. 1890; A Year in the Great Republic [Bates], 2 vols., Lond. 1887; and others. 8 vols. cloth.
Life by T. N.
185. LAMB (CHAS.) Works. With Talfourd. 8vo, calf (slightly rubbed).
Lond. Moxon, 1842
186. Poetical Works. Engraved portrait, vignette title and full-page plates. Post 8vo, full red morocco, gilt, gilt edges. Phil. 1858
187. calf, gilt.
Works. Portrait. 5 invols.
Post 8vo, half
N. Y. 1885
Etive and Poetical. By Nathan Drake, M.D. 3 vols. 12mo,
half calf (name on title).
188. LE GALLIENNE (RICHARD). Limited edns. A Prose Fancy: Together with Confessio Amantis, a Sonnet. 12mo, limp boards, uncut. Lond.: Privately printed, 1893 One of a few copies on hand-made paper. Scarce.
193. LITTLE MEMOIRS OF THE NINETEENTH CENTURY [George Paston], with portraits, N. Y. 1902; Riverside Letters, by George D. Leslie, illust. by the author, N. Y. 1896; The Love-Life of Dr. Kane, N. Y. 1866; and 11 others. 14 vols.
✓194. LONDON. Tallis's Illustrated London. With Historical Descriptions by W. Gaspey. Numerous fine steel plates. 2 vols. (also 2 imperfect vols. of the same), 12mo, half calf (as a lot, not returnable). Lond. [circa 1853]
195. Old and New London, by Walter Thornbury, 2 vols. (1 and 2 only); and Greater London, by Edward Walford, Vol. 1 only (5 copies). Hundreds of illusts. 7 vols. tbick royal 8vo, cloth. Lond. Cassell V196. LONGFELLOW (H. W.) The Song of Hiawatha. FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth, uncut. Bost. 1855
✓ 197. Tales of a Wayside Inn; The New England
The Divine Tragedy; The Masque of Pandora.
The Divine Tragedy. 8vo, cloth, gilt edges.
200. LOVE-STORY MASTERPIECES. By Geo. Meredith, R. L. Stevenson, D. G. Mitchell, and O. W. Holmes. Chosen by R. A. Lyon. Post 8vo, cloth and boards, uncut. Evanston, 1902
201. [LOWELL (J. R)] The Boston Miscellany of Literature and Fashion. Edited by Nathan Hale, Jr. (Vol. II., July-Dec, 1842, with two original Poems by Lowell and a Review of Griswold's "Poets of America," by Poe.) Plates (some colored). Royal 8vo, half bound. Bost. 1842 ✔ 202. LYTTON (LORD). “My Novel" or, Varieties in English Life. 4 vols. post 8vo, cloth, uncut. Edinburgh, 1853 First edition.
ABIE (HAMILTON WRIGHT). Short Studies in Literature. 12mo, paper. (10 copies, as a N. Y. 1892
204. MACAULAY (THOMAS B.) and Miscellaneous Essays. Portraits.
205. MACLEOD (FIONA). From the Hills of Dream. FIRST EDN. 12mo, limp parchment. Printed on Van Gelder paper. Portland, Me.: Mosher, 1901
Critical, Historical, 3 vols. thick 12mo, N.Y. [recent]
206. MALONE (WALTER). Songs of North and South. Presentation copy from author to R. Le Gallienne, with book-label. 12mo, cloth, uncut. Louisville, 1900
207. MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS. The Love Affairs of. By Martin Hume. Portraits. Thick 8vo, cloth. N. Y. [Lond.] 1903 208. MEDICAL. Rational Hydrotheropy: a Manual of √ Physiological and Therapeutic Effects of Hydriatic Procedures and the Technique of their Application. By J. H. Kellogg. 293 illusts. in 18 colors. Thick 8vo, cloth.
209. Richerand's Physiology; Roget's Physiology and Phrenology; Maisch's Materia Medica; and others. 11 vols.
210. MEREDITH'S The Pilgrim's Scrip, leather, privately printed, N. Y. 1903; The Cynic's Calendar for 1905 by Oliver Herford and others, San Francisco, 1905; Legends and Lyrics, by Adelaide Procter (stamp on title, bookplate of R. Le Gallienne), portrait, Lond. 1892; A Country Muse, First Series, by Norman Gale, Chicago, 1894; Life of Sir Thomas Bodley, privately printed, portrait, hand-made paper, Lond. 1894; Noll and the Fairies, by Hervey White, illust., Chicago, 1903. 6 vols.
211. METASTASIO (PIETRO), Opere, portrait, 15 vols., ↓ In Vizza, 1785; Lettere del Pietro Metastasio, 5 vols., 1786; Osservazioni di vari Letterati sopra i Drammi del Metastasio, 2 vols., 1785. Together 22 vols. 12mo, old calf, gilt.