« IndietroContinua »
268. RITSON (JOSEPH). A Dissertation on Romance and Minstrelsy: to which is appended the ancient metrical Romance of Ywaine and Gawin. 4to, paper, uncut. Edinburgh: Goldsmid, 1891 Large Paper. One of only 100 copies so issued. $269. Launfal: an Ancient Metrical Romance. By Thomas Chestre. To which is appended the still older Romance of Lybeau's Disconus. Edited by J. R. 4to, paper, Edinburgh, 1891
Large Paper. One of only 100 copies so issued.
270. ROBERTS (CHAS. G. D.) Earth's Enigmas. FIRST
Presentation inscription from author to R. Le Gallienne inserted, with the latter's book-label.
271. ROBIDA (A.) Le Vingtième Siècle. La Vie Électrique. Colored plates, heliogravures, and illusts. in the text by the author. Imp. 8vo, original cloth extra, gilt edges. Paris [189-]
272. ROCKY MOUNTAINS (THE), A Lady's Life in. By Isabella L. Bird. Illusts. Post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1882 Italy: a Poem. Portrait
273. ROGERS (SAMUEL). after Sir Thos. Lawrence, and numerous beautiful vignettes after Turner and Stothard. New edn. Post 8vo, original cloth, uncut. Fine copy. Lond. Moxon, 1854
274. RUSKIN (JOHN). Portrait. Post 8vo, cloth, uncut.
Letters to M. G. and H. G. ✔
275. RUSSIA. History or Anecdotes of the Revolution ✔ in Russia in 1762. From the French of M. De Rulhiere. Portrait of Catherine II. 8vo, half straight-grained moLond. 1797
SAILOR LIFE on Man-of-War and Merchant Vessel [Nordhoff], illust., 1884; The Lion City of Africa [Allen], illust., 1890; and others. 4 vols.
277. SARGENT (EPES). Songs of the Sea, with other✔ Poems. 12mo, oards, uncut. Bost. 1847 First edition. Fine copy. Scarce.
278. SCIENTIFIC SIDE-LIGHTS [Fernald], N. Y. 1903; The Correlation and Conservation of Forces, N. Y. 1865; The Healthy Woman [Leonard], N. Y. 1902; and others. 8 vols.
279. SCOTT (SIR W.) Waverley, Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, The Pirate, and others of the Waverley Novels. (2 in duplicate.) Profusely illust. 13 vols. crown 8vo, original Edinburgh, 1892-95
280. SCOTT (WILLIAM BELL).
281. SECRET HISTORY of the Court of England, from the Accession of George III. to the Death of George IV. By Lady Anne Hamilton. Post 8vo, boards. Lond. [recent]
282. SHAKESPEARE (WM.) Plays, with the correc-
8 vols. 8vo, original calf (rubbed and back joints split).
JOHNSON'S FIRST EDITION. A presentation copy from Bishop Warburton (editor of the works of Pope and his literary executor) to Richard Hurd, Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry, who, in turn, presented it to one N. Kilvert in 1777, the fly-leaf bearing contemporary inscriptions to that effect. Hurd published Warburton's collected works.
The Plays of Shakespear, printed from the text of Samuel Johnson, George Steevens and Isaac Reed. 12 vols. 8vo, full calf (lacks several pp. in Vol. 2). Lond. 1807 With fine portrait by Evans, and with vignettes by and after Singleton, Howard, Neagle, Stothard, Westall.
284. Dramatic Works. Revised Text, with Notes✓ by S. W. Singer, 10 vols. ; also Life and Volume of Critical Essays by W. W. Lloyd. Together 11 vols. Crown 8vo, half sheep (rubbed). Lond. Bell, 1875
Dramatic Works. Revised Text, with Notes
The Tragedy of Othello, edited by H. C. Hart; ✓ Cymbeline, edited by Edward Dowden. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth. Indianapolis, n. d.
287. SHAW (GEORGE). General Zoology; or, Systematic Natural History, 14 vols. in 28, 1,193 plates of quadrupeds, reptiles, fishes, insects and birds, royal 8vo, Lond. 18001826; Zoological Lectures, 2 vols., 163 plates, royal 8vo, 1809. Uniform in contemporary calf, gilt, except the last 6 parts, which are in original boards (2 vols. broken), uncut.
A complete set of this "very valuable and judicious work," on LARGE PAPER, with PROOFS of the plates. The original cost, in boards, was £57 ($285).
288. SHELLEY (A Biography) [Jno. Addington Symonds], Lond. 1879; The Choice of Books [C. F. Richardson]; Mark Twain's Autobiography, FIRST EDN., illusts. ; and others. 24 vols.
289. SHERIDAN (GEN. P. H.) The Life of: its Romance and Reality. By F. A. Burr and R. J. Hinton. Numerous portraits and illusts. 8vo, cloth. Providence, 1888
290. SIX MONTHS IN THE SANDWICH ISLANDS [Bird], illust., 1882; Africa, History of Exploration and Adventure [Jones], illust., 1875; Across the Continent [Bowles], illust., 1865; and others. 6 vols.
291. SMOLLETT (TOBIAS). Works. each vol. 12 vols. post 8vo, cloth, gilt.
292. SOME LONDON THEATRES, Past and Present [Williams], Lond. 1883; Glimpses of Real Life; Theatrical and Bohemian [Bertram], Edinburgh, 1864; Dramatic Works of Marmion, Edinburgh, Paterson, 1875; and others. 6 vols.
Etched front. to
293. SONGS OF THREE CENTURIES, Edited by Whittier, FIRST EDN., Bost. 1876; Poems by Gold-Pen, Phil. 1856; and others. 4 vols. 12mo (some poor).
294. SPORTING. The Sportsman's Gazetteer and General Guide. By Chas. Hallack. (On the game animals, birds and fishes of North America.) Portrait and maps. Thick post 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1877
The Eighth Duke of Beaufort and the Badminton Hunt, by T. F. Dale, portraits and other illusts., Westminster, 1901; The Gambling World, by Rouge et Noir, illusts, N. Y. 1898. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth.
296. Sport in Europe. Edited by F. G. Aflalo. Many full-page and smaller illusts. of game, hunting scenes, etc., from drawings by A. THORBURN, E. CALDWELL and E. F. T. BENNETT, and from photographs. Small 4to, original buckram, gilt top edge. Lond. 1901
297. STEVENSON (ROBERT LOUIS). Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Illust. by Charles Raymond Macauley. ONLY 150 COPIES PRINTED ON IMPERIAL JAPAN VELLUM. 8vo, N. Y. 1904
half roan, uncut. AN EXQUISITE VOLUME.
298. Prayers written at Vailima. With an Introduction by his wife. FIRST EDN. Post 8vo, cloth and boards, uncut. N. Y. 1904
299. STEWART (DUGALD). The Collected Works. Edited by Sir William Hamilton, Bart. In 10 vols. and supplementary volume, containing full Index. 11 vols. in Portrait of Stewart. 8vo, half calf. Fine set. Edinburgh, Lond. 1840
500. STIRLING-MAXWELL (SIR WILLIAM). laneous Essays and Addresses (Ancient Scottish Seals, The Dukes of Urbino, Sir Walter Scott, etc., etc.); also a Biographical Note and a Bibliography. With fine illusts. on India and Japan paper. Thick small 4to, original cloth, Lond. 1891 Large Paper copy, with a duplicate set of the plates and with the initials printed in red. Only 265 printed.
301. The Cloister Life of the Emperor Charles V. With the author's latest notes and additions. With 8 mezzotint engravings and 5 illusts. in color from original water-color drawings, on India and Japan paper; also numerous illusts. on wood. Thick small 4to, original cloth, uncut. Lond. 1891
Large paper copy, with a duplicate set of the plates and with the initials printed in red. Only 265 printed.
302. STUDIES IN THE BOOK OF PSALMS [Plumer]; Olshausen on the Corinthians, Galatians, etc., 3 vols; and others. 21 vols. cloth, paper, etc.
303. SYLVIA, by George Darley; Vol. 1 of Dent's Lover's Library, Lond. 1892; Lyrics of Lowly Life, by Paul L. Dunbar, portrait (bookplates of R. Le Gallienne), Lond. 1897; The Colour of Life, and The Rhythm of Life, by Alice Meynell, 2 vols. (bindings ink-stained), Lond. 1897-1901. 4 vols.
✔304. TAINE (H. A.) History of English Literature.
307. TENT ON THE BEACH (THE) [Whittier], FIRST EDN., Bost. 1867; Longfellow's Poems, illust., 1883; The First Loves of Perilla [Corbin] (3 copies), 1903; Whittier's Poems, 1876; etc. 9 vols. cloth.
✔ 308. THEATRICAL. Wilkes (Thos.)
The Pin-Basket: to the Children ✔ of Thespis. With Notes, Historical, Critical, and Biographical, by John Williams, whose public appellation is Anthony Pasquin. Vignette on title by Bartolozzi, after the author. Crown 8vo, half morocco gilt, gilt top edge, otherwise Lond. 1797
Virulent prose and verse attacks on the well-known actors and actresses of the period.
311. THEOLOGY. Kingsley's Sermons for the Times;
Oxenham's Sermons; Plain Commentary on the Psalms; Reid's Doomed Religions; and others. 13 vols.
313. TRAIL OF THE SANDHILL STAG (THE) [Seton-
314. TRIALS. Crim. Con. Actions and Trials and other Legal Proceedings relating to Marriage before the passing of the present Divorce Act. Post 8vo, half roan, uncut. Lond., n. d.
315. TROUBADOURS AND COURTS OF LOVE (THE) [Rowbotham], illust., 1895; Walton's Lives of Donne, Hooker, etc., N. Y. 1903; and 7 others (4 with bookplate of R. Le Gallienne). 9 vols.
316. TYTHES. Tumulus Decimarum; or, The History of Tythes; from their Nativity, to this day of their expected Ruine and Downfall, 1659. By H. P. Small 4to, limp leather, uncut (last leaf little defective). Lond. 1659 Possibly the work of Henry Peacham, author of "The Worth of a Penny."
317. TYTLER (PATRICK FRASER). The History of Scotland. (The Second and revised edn.) 9 vols. post 8vo, original cloth, uncut. Edinburgh, 1841-43
318. VIEWS. Meyer's Universum; or, Views of the most Remarkable Places and Objects of All Countries. Text edited by Chas. A. Dana. Numerous fine plates. (Vol. 1 only.) Oblong post 8vo, cloth. N. Y.