« IndietroContinua »
384. GRANT (GEN. U. S.) Personal Memoirs of Grant. Illust. 2 vols. thick 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1885 ✓ 383. GRAPHIC AND HISTORICAL ILLUSTRATOR, care edited by E. W. Brayley, numerous engravings of views,
small 4to, Lond. (183-]; and another.
By Ed. Hackel. & Transl. Fully illust. 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1890 387. GRASSES [M'Alpine], illust., Edinburgh, 1890; The Soil of the Farm [Scott and Morton), Lond.; The Evolution of Horticulture in New England (Slade), N. Y. 1895; etc. 4 vols. +388. GRASSES OF NORTH AMERICA for Farmers and Students. By W.J. Beal. (Vol. 1 only.) 8vo, cloth (stamp on title).
Lausing (Mich.) (1887] 389. GREECE. History of. By Prof. Ernst Curtius. Transl. by A. W. Ward. 5 vols. 8vo, cloth.
N. Y.: Scribner, 1883 ✓ 390. GREEN (MRS. J. R.) Town Life in the XVth v As
Century. 2 vols. thick 8vo, original cloth, uncut. Fine copy of the first and best library edn.
Lond. 1894 391. GRISWOLD (RUFUS W.) The Republican Court;
or, American Society in the Days of Washington. 21 full& page steel portraits of distinguished women. Imp. 8vo, morocco (cracked).
N. Y. 1855
V 392. HAECKEL (ERNST) The History of Creation.
Transl. and revised by E. Ray Lancaster. Fully illust. 2 vols. thick post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1893 393. HALLAM (HENRY). The Works of Hallam: Europe in the Middle Ages; Constitutional History; and Literature in Europe. 10 vols. post 8vo, half calf extra. Fine set.
N. Y. 1863 394. HAMERTON (PHILIP GILBERT). A Painter's ✓ Camp; Life of J. M. W. Turner; Wenderholme; Round My House. 4 vols. 12mo, cloth. Lond. and Bost. 1866-76 ✓
395. Contemporary French Painters: an Essay. V FIRST EDN. With 16 full-page facsimiles after Meissonier, Rosa Bonheur, Vernet and others. 4to, original cloth, gilt edges. Scarce.
Lond. 1868 396. — The Intellectual Life; Human Intercourse;
✓ Landscape; French and English; The Sylvan Year, etc.; A Painter's Camp; Life of J. M. W. Turner. Together 7 vols. Crown 8vo, cloth (few pages scored in pencil). Bost. 1879-91
397. HAMILTON (GAIL). Life in Letters. Edited by II. A. Dodge. Portraits.
Portraits. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut.
Bost. 1901 ✓ 398. HAMILTON (LADY). Drawings faithfully copied
✓ from Nature at Naples. 26 fine fuli-page outline engravings, including the famous “Lady Hamilton's Attitudes." 4to, cloth. Original edn.
Naples (circa 1835] 399. HARLAND (HENRY). The Lady Paramount. FIRST EDN. Post 8vo, cloth.
lond. 1902 400. HARRIS (JOEL CHANDLER). Mingo, and other Sketches in Black and White. FIRST EDN.
Bost. 1884 W 401. Evening Tales. From the French of F. Ortoli. FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth.
N. Y. 1893 402. Tales of the Home Folks in Peace and War FIRST EDN. Illusts. Post 8vo, cloth. Fine copy. Bost. 1898
403. HARRISON (W. H.), Life and Times, by I. J. Burr, portrait; another, Life, by I. R. Jackson.
2 vols. 16 mo, cloth.
N. Y. and Phil. 1840 404. HARVARD. A Discourse occasioned by the much lamented Death of Dr. Edward Wigglesworth, Hollis Professor of Divinity in Harvard College, Cambridge. Ву Nath. Appleton, Pastor of the First Church in Cambridge. 8vo, unbound. Bost.: R. and S. Draper, 1765
✓ ✓ 405. HAWTHORNE (NATHANIEL). Our Old Home: a Series of English Sketches. FIRST EDN. Crown 8vo, original brown cloth.
Bost. 1863 Works. Illusts. 16 vols. 12mo, original green ✓ cloth (name, etc., on titles). Bost. : Ticknor & Fields, 1868
· Passages from American Note Books " is uniform with the
other volumes, although it is the First Edition of the book. ✓ 107. - Hawthorne and his Wife: a Biography. By
✓ Julian Hawthorne. 2 vols. thick royal 8vo, original boards, uncut.
Cambridge, 1884 Finely printed by Houghton, Mifflin & Co. Large Paper copy, with portraits on India paper. Only 350 copies printed.
Choice condition. 408.
✓ Analytical Index to the Works of Nathaniel Hawthorne, with a Sketch of his Life, 1882; Hawthorne, by Henry James, Jr., 1887. 2 vols. 16mo, etc. 409.
(A Biography.) By Geo. E. Woodberry. FIRST EDN. Portrait. 12mo, cloth.
Bost, 1902 * 410.
Hawthorne and his Circle. By Julian Hawthorne. FIRST EDN. Portrait and illusts. 8vo, cloth, uncut.
N. Y. 1903
411. HAYTI; or, The Black Republic. By Sir Spencer St. John. Map. Post 8vo, cloth (pencil-scored in some inargins).
N. Y. 1889 / 412. HAZLITT (W. CAREW). The Book-Collector. A ✓ General Survey of the Pursuit and of those who have engaged in it at home and abroad, etc., etc. Illusts. Post 8vo, buckram, uncut.
Lond. 1904 413. HEARN (LAFCADIO). Chita: a Memory of Lastv Island. FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth.
N. Y. 1889 414.
Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan. FIRST EDNS. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth.
Bost. 1894 415. Out of the East”: Reveries and Studies in New Japan. FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth, uncut. Bost. 1895 V 416. Kokoro: Hints and Echoes of Japanese Inner Life. FIRST EDN. 12mo, cloth.
Bost. 1896 417. HEINE (HEINRICH). Pictures of Travel. Transl. by C. G. Leland. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth, gilt tops. N. Y. 1891 418. HIGGINSON THOMAS W.) Contemporaries (Sketches of Emerson, Whittier, Whitman, and others); Cheerful Yesterdays. Collected edns. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
Bost. 1899–1900 419. HILDRETH (RICHARD). The History of the United States of America. Library edn. 6 vols. thick 8vo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut (underscored with blue pencil).
N. Y. 1880 420. HISTORICAL PAMPHLETS. Several Visits to the Kennebec River Indians [Jos. Baxter], 1717, Notes, Bost. 1867; The Bostonian Society, William Blaxton [T. C. Amory), Bost. 1886; Traditionary Story of the Attack on Hoadley, Mass., 1675 (Geo. Sheldon), Bost. 1874; and others. 7 vols. royal 8vo, cloth.
421. HISTORY. The Library of Historic Characters and Famous Events of all Nations and all Ages. Edited by A. R. Spofford, Frank Weitenkampf and Prof. J. P. Lamberton. Numerous photogravures from paintings by great artists and from authentic portraits. 12 vols. 8vo, original cloth, gilt top edges.
Bost. 1902 422. HISTORY OF OREGON [Hines) ; Noble Deeds of American Women Clement]; The Golden Chersonese [I. L. Bird]; and 7 others. 10 vols. crown 8vo, cloth.
423. HOGARTH (WILLIAM). The Genuine Works of William Hogarth. Illustrated with Biographical Anecdotes, a Chronological Catalogue and Commentary by John Nichols and George Steevens. With a large number of fine
facsimiles of Hogarth's plates. 3 vols. thick royal 4to, full russia gilt, gilt edges (covers loose and need repairs).
Lond. 1808-17 Apart from the binding, a fine copy of this splendid edition. Vol. 3 contains “ Clavis Hogarthiana" and other illuftrative
essays, with 50 additional plates. (Sold as it is.) 424. HOLE (DEAN). The Memories and More Memo- v ries. By S. R Hole. Illust. 2 vols. 12mo, cloth.
N. Y. and Lond. 1894 425. HOLLAND (J. G.) Bitter-Sweet: a Poem. Illust.
✓ by E. J. Whitney. 8vo, full morocco, gilt edges. N.Y. 1869
426. HOLLAND AND ITS PEOPLE. By Edmondo de Amicis. Illust. 8vo, cloth, gilt top.
N. Y. 1890 ✓ 427. HOLMES (OLIVER WENDELL). The Berkshire v Jubilee at Pittsfield, Mass, 1844. Illust. 8vo, original cloth.
Albany, 1845 Contains a poem and a speech by Holmes, pp. 161-163. ✓
428. Life and Letters. By John T. Morse, Jr.: FIRST EDN. Portraits. 2 vols. post Svo, cloth, gilt tops, nncut.
Bost. 1896 429. HOME LIFE IN FLORIDA [Helen Harcourt), illust. (stamp on title); The New Chemistry [J. P. Cooke), illust.; Manipulation of the Microscope [Edw. Bausch], illust.; and others (some in paper). (14 pieces.)
430. HOMER. The Iliad and Odyssey. Transl. into English Prose by Andrew Lang, S. H. Butcher and others. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1883 431. The Odysseys of. Transl. by Geo. Chapman. Introduction and Notes by Rev. Richard Hooper. Front. in facsimile. 2 vols. square 12mo, cloth, uncut. Lond. 1897
432. The Iliads of. Transl. by Geo. Chapman. Introduction and Notes by Rev. Richard Hooper. Front. and title in facsimile. 2 vols. square 12mo, cloth, uncut.
Lond. 1898 ✓ 433. HONE (WILLIAM). Every Day Book, Year Book and Table Book. With hundreds of illusts., some of which are by George Cruikshank. 4 vols. thick 8vo, original cloth, uncut.
Lond.: Tegy, 1847-50 Fine and complete set of these highly entertaining volumes, relating the manners, amusements, sports, customs, etc., etc.,
of bygone times. 434. HORSES. Our Noblest Friend the Horse. By Francis M. Ware. Illust. Post 8vo, cloth, gilt top. Bost.1903
| 435. HORTICULTURE. American Horticultural Man
✓ ual (Fruits, Nuts, Ornamental Trees, Shrubs, etc.). By J. L. Budd and N. E. Hansen. Profusely illust. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth.
N. Y. 1902 | 436. HUGHES (THOS.) Tom Brown's School Days, por- v trait (view pasted on reverse of title, and spotted in places), Bost. 1866; Tom Brown at Oxford, 2 vols., portrait, Bost. 1864; Vacation Rambles, FIRST EDN., Lond. 1895; and another. 5 vols. 12mo, cloth.
437. HUGO (VICTOR). Novels, transl. from the French by I. F. Hapgood. Numerous full-page illusts. 15 vols. crown 8vo,cloth, gilt top edges (some margins pencil-scored).
N. Y. 1888 438. HUMBOLDT LIBRARY OF SCIENCE, 11 vols., by Proctor, Huxley, and others. Illust. Bound in 1 vol. Thick 8vo, half morocco.
N. Y. 1879, etc. 439. HUME (DAVID). History of England from the Invasion of Julius Cæsar to the Revolution in 1688. Portrait. 6 vols. 8vo, original cloth.
N. Y. 1879 V 140. HUME AND SMOLLETT'S History of England.
Lond. 1811-17 ✓ 441. HUMOROUS GREETINGS. A Collection of 162 Pictorial Greeting Cards, by “Cynicus,” in which incidents peculiar to the occasion are treated in a cynically humorous vein. All HAND-PAINTED. 8vo, arranged in folio Scrap-Book, half bound. [Lond. 1880-90, etc.] V 442. HUTTON (LAURENCE). Plays and Players. (The old Olympic, Mary and Emma Taylor, Brougham's Lyceum, the Old Broadway Theatre, etc.) 4to, in the original sheets, uncut and unopened.
N. Y. 1875 One of only 25 copies, on Large Paper, specially printed for
Judge Arnold. 443. HYMNS. Lyra Cælestis: Hymns of Heaven Se- v lected by A. C. Thompson. 8vo, full morocco, gilt edges
444. ILLINOIS. Report of the Adjutant-General of the ✓
State, containing Rosters of Enlisted Men, 1861– 66. Svo, half bound (back missing). Springfield, 1867
445. ILLUSTRATED BOOKS. Proverbial Sayings; Some Old Friends in New Dresses, colored comic illusts. by Gordon Browne; Tales Told at Twilight [Kath. M. Iliffe], illusts. ; Young George, his Life [Edith Farmiloe), colored illusls. 3 vols. small 4to, boards.
N. Y. (recent]