« IndietroContinua »
982. MINNESOTA HIST. SOC. COLLECTIONS. Vol. 6, Parts 1, 2, and 3 (Baker's "Sources of the Mississippi," The Hennepin Bi-Centenary, Indian Mounds, Sioux Outbreak, etc.); and Vol. 8, Part 3. Illust. 4 vols. 8vo, cloth and St. Paul, 1887-98
983. Collections, Vol. IX. (the Ojibways in Minnesota), by J. A. Gilfillan; Civilization of the Ojibways, by H. B. Whipple; Hennepin's Discoveries, by S. M. Davis; Captivity Among the Sioux in 1862; Sioux Outbreak of 1862, M. N. Adams; etc.). Portraits. 8vo, cloth.
St. Paul, 1901 984. MISSISSIPPI. Brower (J. V.) The Mississippi River and its Sources: a Narrative and Critical History of its Discovery, with the Results of the Hydrographic and Topographic Surveys. Many maps and plates. Royal 8vo, half calf. (Minn. Hist. Soc'y.) Minneapolis, 1893
985. Shea (J. G.) Discovery and Exploration of the Mississippi Valley, with the Original Narratives of Marquette, Allouez, Membré, Hennepin, and Anastase Douay. Plates, including folding facsimile of the newly discovered map of the Mississippi, by Marquette. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. Redfield, 1852 Scarce. Mr. Shea has added copious biographical, historical and bibliographical notes of the greatest value.
986. MISSOURI. Owen (L. A.) Cave Regions of the Ozarks and Black Hills. Plans and views. Post 8vo, cloth. Cinn. 1898
987. MITCHELL (DONALD G.) American Lands and Letters: (Leather Stocking to Poe's "Raven "). FIRST EDN. Over 100 portraits and plates. 8vo, cloth. N. Y. 1899
988. MOCKRIDGE (C. H.) The Bishops of the Church of England in Canada and Newfoundland: a Historical Sketch. Portraits and plates. 8vo, cloth. Toronto 
989. MOLL (HERMAN). The Compleat Geographer; or, The Chorography and Topography of all the Known Parts of the Earth. Fourth edn. Maps. Folio, old calf (binding loose, and a few leaves waterstained). Lond. 1723
The American portion contains maps of the “Isle of California," New England and New France, New Spain, "Terra Firma," Peru, Brazil, the "Province of Rio de la Plata," and Chili.
990. MONRO (ALEX.) Statistics of British North America, including a Description of its Gold Fields. Crown Svo, cloth (a few pp. stained).
Bonnechose (Ch. de). Le Canada François. Maps, portraits, views. boards (worn).
992. MONTESQUIEU (CH. DE). Euvres Complètes; avec les Variantes des Premières Éditions, un choix des meilleurs Commentaires, et des Notes Nouvelles, par ÉDOUARD LABOULAYE. Portraits. 7 vols. 8vo, half morocco, uncut. Paris: Garnier, 1875-79
993. MONTPETIT (A. N.) Les Poissons d'Eau Douce du Canada. Colored plates of fishes and numerous illusts. in the text Royal Svo, half morocco, gilt bands. Montreal, 1897
994. MONTREAL. Beaugrand (H.) Le Vieux Montreal, 1611-1803. 13 full-page plates, mostly in color, by P. L. Morin. Large oblong folio, cloth. Montreal, 1884
The plates include Montreal after Champlain, 1611, in 164550, and plans of later dates to 1723, views of the Recollect College and Church of Notre Dame, at an early date, etc.
Broadside, signed by Jonas Hanway and others, dated from the New York Coffee House [London], 1766, asking for subscriptions for the sufferers from the great Fire in Montreal, May, 1765, and including a petition signed by prominent inhabitants of the city, giving an account of the fire. Two leaves, 4to, bound in limp boards. [Lond. 1766]
996. Bosworth (N.) Hochelaga Depicta: the Early History and Present State of the City and Island of Montreal. 12mo, half roan. Montreal, 1839
First edition of this early and rare description of Montreal, with the 23 views and maps.
997. Hochelaga Depicta; or, A New Picture of Montreal: the Early History and Present State of the City and Island of Montreal. Plans, views of old buildings, landmarks, etc. Edited by Newton Bosworth, with Additions. Crown 8vo, cloth (name on title). Montreal, 1846
998. Hodges (James). The Construction of the Great Victoria Bridge in Canada (a description and detailed account of its construction). Illust. with 60 large plates, including scale drawings, colored views, etc. Royal folio, half morocco, gilt. Lond. 1860 Sumptuously printed, the title in gold, and gold borders to each page.
Lighthall (W. D.) Montreal after 250 years. Numerous illusts., including reproductions from rare views. 12mo, cloth. No. 180 of the limited and signed edition. Montreal, 1892 1000. Plan of the Town and Fortifications of Montreal (with inset view), from the London Magazine, 1760; also The Isles of Montreal as they have been surveyed by the French Engineers, about the same date. (2 pieces.)
1001. SANDHAM (A.) Ville-Marie; or, Sketches of Montreal, Past and Present. Views of old buildings, etc. Svo, half calf. Montreal, 1870
1002. MOODIE (S.) Roughing It in the Bush; or, Life in (Upper) Canada. 2 vols. post 8vo, cloth (name on titles). Lond. 1852
Includes the experiences of the author, better known as Susanna Strickland (sister of the historian), during the rebellion of 1837.
1003. MORGAN (H. J.) Sketches of Celebrated Canadians and Persons connected with Canada, from the Earliest Period to the Present Time. Thick 8vo, cloth.
Quebec, 1862 1004. Bibliotheca Canadensis; or, A Manual of Canadian Literature. Royal 8vo, half calf. Ottawa, 1867 1005. MORRIS (WILLIAM). The Heimskringla: the Stories of the Kings of Norway. By S. Sturleson. Transl. from the Icelandic by Wm. Morris and E. Magnusson. Map of Norway. 3 vols. post Svo, half roan, uncut. (Saga Library) Lond. Quaritch, 1893-95 Contains the Sagas relating to the discovery of Vinland. 1006. MORRISON (C.) History of the Year 1891, with Special Reference to Canadian Affairs. Numerous portraits and other illusts. Square royal 8vo, half morocco.
1007. MOUNTAIN (G. J.-Bishop of Montreal). Songs of the Wilderness. Poems written in different parts of the territory of the Hudson's Bay Company, and in the wilds of Canada in 1844. 4 plates. 12mo, cloth. Lond. 1846
With explanatory notes.
1008. MUNICIPAL INSTITUTIONS. The Ontario Township, by J. M. McEvoy, map, Toronto, 1889; The Genesis of the Massachusetts Town, by Chas Francis Adams and others, Cambridge, 1892; etc. 7 pamphlets bound in 1 vol. half calf.
1009. MUNOZ (JEAN BAPTISTA). Historia del NuevoMondo. Portrait of Columbus and map. Tomo I. (all issued). 4to, original calf. Madrid, 1793 1010. MURRAY (H.) Historical and Descriptive Account of British America. Maps and woodcuts. 3 vols. 12mo, cloth. (Edinburgh Cabinet Library.) Edin. 1839
1011. MURRAY (J. C.) Solomon Maimon: an Autobiography. Transl. from the German. Post 8vo, cloth (Presentation copy from the translator.) Lond. 1888
1012. MURRAY (W. H. H.) Daylight Land. tinted illusts. 8vo, half calf.
A humorous story of travel in the North-West.
Over 100 Bost. 1888
1013 MYRAND (ERNEST). William Phips devant Québec; Histoire d'un Siège en 1690 (from original contemporary narratives). Portraits and facsimile plans. 8vo, Quebec, 1893 1014. Noëls Anciens de la Nouvelle-France: Études historique. (With the music of some of the Carols.) Svo, half calf. (Presentation copy, with autograph inscription.) Quebec, 1899
1015. NADAILLAC (MARQUIS DE). Pre-Historic America. Transl. by N. D'Anvers, and edited by W. H. Dall. With 219 illustrations. 8vo, cloth. Lond. Murray, 1885
1016. NAVAL. Les Us et Coutumes de la Mer, de la Navigation; du Commerce Naval, et Contrats Maritimes; de la Jurisdiction de la Marine. Avec un Traitée des Termes de Marine, Reglemens de la Navigation des Fleuves et Rivieres; et les Nouveaux Edits, Reglemens, Arrests, et Jugemens rendus sur le fait du Commerce de la Mer. 4to, old calf. Fine copy. Rouen: Jean Berthelin, 1671
In this collection of old "rules of the sea" will be found much interesting material. The explanation of maritime terms is of value as explaining old French narratives of the early voyagers. Some historical matter is included in places. In one (p. 129) it is stated that a Basque informed and directed Columbus where he could find the New World.
1017. NAVARRETE (M. F. DE). Coleccion de los Viajes y Descubrimientos que hicieron por Mar los Españoles desde fines del Siglo XV. Con varios Documentos Ineditos concernientes á la Historia de la Marina Castellana y de los Establecimientos Españoles en Indias. 5 vols. 8vo, half morocco (Vol. I., 1858; Vol. II., 1859; Vol. III., 1880; Vol. IV., 1837; Vol. V., 1837. Two maps in Vol. I., one map in Vol. III., and portrait (inserted) of Magellan in
Complete set of this important collection. The first two volumes relate entirely to Columbus, and contain the first publication of Las Casas' Account of the first voyage of Columbus, compiled from the Admiral's own papers; the other vol umes contain the voyages of Vespuccius, documents relating to the settlements in Darien, the voyage of Magellan, etc.
1018. NEBRASKA HISTORICAL SOCIETY. The Provisional Government of Nebraska Territory, and the Journals of Wm. Walker, Provisional Governor. Edited by Wm. E. Connelly. Map and portraits. 8vo, cloth.. (Special publication of the Nebraska Hist. Soc) Lincoln, 1899 1019. Transactions and Reports, with Historical Papers, Biographical Notices, etc. Vol. II.
8vo, cloth. Lincoln, 1887
1020. ATKINSON (W. C.) A Historical and Statistical Account of New Brunswick, with Advice to Emigrants. Third edition, improved and corrected. Map. 12mo, moEdinburgh, 1844
1021. BAILLIE (T.) An Account of the Province of New Brunswick. Map. 12mo, original boards. Lond. 1832
1022. BATES (W.-Sheriff of New Brunswick). Companion for Caraboo: a Narrative of the Conduct and Adventures of Henry Frederic Moon, now under sentence of imprisonment in Connecticut, North America; containing an Account of his unparalleled impostures while in the New Brunswick Gaols. With a Description of New Brunswick and some Account of Caraboo, the Female Impostor. Portrait (corner water-stained). 8vo, calf. Lond. 1817
1023. BURTIS (W. R. M.) New Brunswick as a Home for Emigrants, with the best means of promoting immigration and developing resources. Crown 8vo, paper, pp. 50. St. John, N. B., 1860 1024. COLLECTIONS of the N. B. Historical Society, No. 4 (Journal of Capt. Owen, James White papers, etc.), St. John, 1899; Bulletin of the Natural History Society of N. B., No. 19, St. John, 1901. 8vo, paper. (2 pieces.)
1025. COONEY (R.) A Compendious History of the Northern Part of the Province of New Brunswick and the District of Gaspé, in Lower Canada. 8vo, cloth.
Chatham, 1896 Reprinted from the rare original edition of Halifax, 1832.
1026. DE PEYSTER (JOHN WATTS). Address (the Loyalists of America) before the Historical Society of New Brunswick, in St. John, July 4, 1883. 8vo, boards, pp. 40. N.Y. 1883
1027. ELLIS (J. V.) New Brunswick as a Home for Emigrants, with the best means of promoting Emigration and developing the Resources of the Province. Crown 8vo, paper (First Prize Essay), pp. 60. Saint John, 1860
1028. GESNER (A.) New Brunswick, with Notes for Emigrants, comprehending the Early History of the Colony, an Account of the Indians, etc. Map and illusts. 8vo, cloth, uncut. Lond. 1847
1029. HANNAY (J.) Life and Times of Sir Leonard Tilley being a Political History of New Brunswick, 18271897. Portraits and plates. 8vo, half morocco, gilt bands. Presentation copy, with the author's autograph inscription. St. John, 1897