« IndietroContinua »
SALE NUMBER 1596
ON PUBLIC EXHIBITION FROM FRIDAY, OCTOBER TWENTY-FIRST
OF MODERN AUTHORS
AND BOOKS OF
THE LIBRARY OF
C. R. HERZLER
TO BE SOLD BY HIS ORDER
THE ANDERSON GALLERIES
PARK AVENUE AND FIFTY-NINTH STREET, NEW YORK
CONDITIONS OF SALE
All bids to be PER LOT as numbered in the Catalogue.
The highest bidder to be the buyer. In all cases of disputed bids the lot shall be resold, but the Auctioneer will use his judgment as to the good faith of all claims and his decision shall be final.
Buyers to give their names and addresses and to make such cash payments on account as may be required, in default of which the lots purchased to be immediately resold.
Goods bought to be removed at the close of each sale. If not so removed they will be at the sole risk of the purchaser, and subject to storage charges, and The Anderson Galleries, Incorporated, will not be responsible if such goods are lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.
TERMS CASH. If accounts are not paid at the conclusion of each sale, or, in the case of absent buyers, when bills are rendered, this Company reserves the right to recatalogue the goods for immediate sale without notice to the defaulting buyer, and all costs of such resale will be charged to the defaulter. This condition is without prejudice to the rights of the Company to enforce the sale contract and collect the amount due without such resale at its own option. Unsettled accounts are subject to interest at the rate of six per cent. per annum. All books are sold as catalogued, and are assumed to be in good SECOND-HAND condition. If material defects are found, not mentioned in the catalogue, the lot may be returned. Notice of such defects must be given promptly and the goods returned within ten days from the date of the sale. No exceptions will be made to this rule. Magazines and other periodicals, and all miscellaneous books arranged in parcels, are sold as they are, without recourse.
Autograph Letters, Documents, Manuscripts and Bindings are sold as they are, without recourse. The utmost care is taken to authenticate and correctly describe items of this character, but this Company will not be responsible for errors, omissions, or defects of any kind.
BIDS. We make no charge for executing orders for our customers and use all bids competitively, buying at the lowest price permitted by other bids.
Priced Copy of this Catalogue may be secured for fifty cents for each session of the sale.
SALE MONDAY AFTERNOON, OCTOBER THIRTY-FIRST, AT 2:30
THE LIBRARY OF
C. R. HERZLER
1. A'BECKETT (GILBERT A.). The Comic History of England. Colored plates and woodcuts by John Leech. 2 vols. in one, thick 8vo, cloth, rehinged. Published at the Punch Office, 1864
2. ADAMS (CHARLES FRANCIS). A Cycle of Adams Letters, 1861-1865. Edited by Ford. Illustrated. 2 vols., 8vo, boards, uncut. Boston, 1920
3. ALASTAIR ILLUSTRATIONS. Forty-three Drawings. With a Note by Robert Ross. 4to, white buckram with gilt decorations, gilt top, uncut. London, 1914 One of 500 copies. A number of these plates are in color or tints. All are in the style and manner made famous by Aubrey Beardsley.
4. The Sphinx. By Oscar Wilde. Numerous illustrations and decorations in black and green by Alastair. 4to, gilt decorated white buckram, gilt top, uncut.
One of 1000 copies and cannot be reprinted, as the stones from which the offset plates were printed were destroyed.
5. ANDRE (EDOUARD). Alexandre Lunois, Peintre, Graveur et Lithographe. Etched portrait and numerous fine reproductions of his work, many in color. 4to, half vellum and boards, original covers bound in.
6. AUTOGRAPH ALBUM. A Memento of the Haliday Family, containing original Verses, Water-color Drawings, Pencil Drawings, etc., by Henry and other members of the Haliday family. Small 4to, old black calf, gilt and blind-tooled.
7. BARTOLOZZI (FRANCESCO). Gems from the Antique. 108 engraved plates. Folio, loose in cloth portfolio. N. p., n. d.
8. BEARDSLEY (AUBREY). Der Lockenraub ein Komisches Heldengedicht von Alexander Pope. 9 illustrations by Aubrey Beardsley. 4to, beautifully bound in full white pigskin, back and sides richly ornamented in gold, signed with monogram on back cover, gilt edges. In cloth case. Leipzig, 1908
A HANDSOME COPY, one of 800 on Holland paper. 9. BEERBOHM (MAX). Seven Men.
Square 12mo, cloth,