« IndietroContinua »
156. HALL (DAVID MOORE). Six Centuries of the Moores of Fawley, Berkshire, England, and their Descendants amid the titled and untitled Aristocracy of Great Britain and America. Portraits. 8vo, cloth, uncut.
Richmond, 1904 157. HAMOR (RAPHE). A True Discovrse of the Present State of Virginia, and the successe of the affaires there till the 18 of Iune, 1614. 4to, full red morocco, gilt back and sides, gilt edges (pp. somewhat foxed).
London, 1615 [reprint] One of 200 copies on LARGE PAPER, privately printed, for Dr. C. G. Barney, of Richmond, Va.
158. HARDY (SAMUEL, M. O. C. from Virginia). A. L. s., 3 pp. 4to, Annapolis, July 25, 1784. Second leaf inlaid.
Important letter regarding our relations with France, reading in part: “His Most Christian Majesty has opened the Isles of France and
Bourbon.. to facilitate our intercourse with the East,” etc. 159. HARIOT (THOMAS). Narrative of the First English Plantation of Virginia. Reproductions. Square 8vo, cloth.
London, 1893 160. HARRISON (BENJAMIN, Gov. of Va.). D. s., 1 p. large 4to. Richmond, June 12, 1784. Land Grant; also, 2 D's. s., each 1 p. small 4to. June 14, 1784. Certificates for Land. 3 pieces.
Documents signed by Harrison as Governor of Virginia are RARE. Harrison also signed the Declaration of Independence. 161. [HARRISON (WILLIAM HENRY).] A Sketch of the Life and Public Services of. With an Appendix. 8vo, wrappers. A Campaign pamphlet urging his election.
Columbus, 1840 162. — A. D. s., 1 p. 4to. Vincennes, March 23, 1807. Order on the Cashier of the Bank of the United States, also, D. s., 1 p. 4to. (December 1797] Authorization for Provision Rations. 2 pieces.
163. HAWKINS (WILLIAM, Gov. of North Carolina). 2 D's. S, each 1 p. 4to. December 18, 181 With Seals. Appointments.
164. [HAWKS (FRANCIS L.).) A Narrative of Events connected with the Rise and Progress of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Virginia. 8vo, cloth, paper label, uncut. New York, 1836
Being Vol. 1 of “Contributions to the Ecclesiastical History of the United States of America."
165. [HEATH (JAMES A.).] Whigs and Democrats; or, Love of no Politics. A Comedy in Three Acts. 8vo, original wrappers.
Richmond, 1839 The author was one time Auditor of Virginia. Unknown to Swem, and not in the Virginia State Library.
166. HENING (WILLIAM WALLER). The New Virginia Justice. 8vo, sheep.
Richmond, 1795 SCARCE.
167. HENRICO PARISH. The Vestry Book of Henrico Par. ish, Virginia, 1730-73. Comprising a History of the Erection of, and other interesting Facts connected with the venerable St. John's Church, Richmond, Va. From the Original Manuscript, with Notes and an Introduction. By R. A. Brock. 4to, sewn.
Richmond, 1874 ONE OF 100 COPIES FOR PRIVATE DISTRIBUTION. LARGE PAPER COPY, with the half-title.
168. HENRY (WILLIAM WIRT). Patrick Henry. Life, Correspondence and Speeches. Portrait. 3 vols. 8vo, cloth, gilt top, uncut.
New York, 1891 FIRST EDITION.
169. HEYLYN (PETER). Cosmographie. The Fourth Book. Part II. Containing the Chorographie and Historie of America, etc. Engraved title and map, with two later maps laid in. Folio, boards.
London, 1668 Being such portion of Heylyn's work as relates to America, including chapters on Virginia, Florida, California, etc., comprised in pp. 83-154. 170. HILL (D. H., Lieut.-Gen. C. S. A.). A. L. s., I p. 8vo, Leesburg, Dec. 25, 1861. To Brig. Gen. Thomas Jordan.
“The imperfections of our shells and the entire deficiency of ammunition for our best gun, a captured piece, render our artillery very inefficient. It may be proper to report that the enemy have been very busy throwing up works opposite all the fords and ferries,” etc. 171. HODGSON (JOSEPH). The Cradle of the Confederacy; or, The Times of Troup Quitman and Yancey. 8vo, cloth.
172. HOGARTH (WILLIAM). Complete Works. In a Series of 150 steel engravings from the original pictures. 4to, half morocco (worn).
London, n. d. 173. HOMER. Iliad. Translated by William Munford, Frontispiece. 2 vols. 8vo, half wine morocco, gilt tops, uncut.
Boston: Little and Brown, 1846 FIRST EDITION OF MUNFORD'S SCARCE TRANSLATION. 174. HOPKINS (STEPHEN, Signer, and Gov. of R. I.). D. s. 1 p. oblong 4to. August, 1763. Authorization for payment of monies to Thomas Vernon.
175. HOWE (HENRY). Historical Collections of Virginia. Map and illustrations (foxed). 8vo, stamped morocco.
Charleston, 1845 FIRST EDITION. 176. — Historical Collections of Virginia. Map and numerous illustrations. 8vo, full blue levant morocco. Charleston, 1856
177. HOWISON (ROBERT R.). A History of Virginia, fron its Settlement by Europeans to the Present Time. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth.
Philadelphia and Richmond, 1846-48
178. Reports of Criminals in the Circuit, State and United States Courts, held in Richmond, Virginia. 8vo, half sheep.
Richmond, 1851 VERY SCARCE. Inserted is an A. L. 9. of R. R. Howison; also an A. L. 8. from the State Law Librarian, of Richmond, dated August 4, 1911, in which he says: “I have been trying in vain to procure a copy of “Howi. son's Criminal Trials” ever since I have been in charge of this Library. It is certainly an uncommonly rare book. I never saw another copy. W. W. Scott."
179. HUDSON (E. M.). The Second War of Independence in America. 8vo, cloth, unopened.
London, 1863 Presentation copy from the author to Capt. M. F. Maury.
180. IRBY (RICHARD). History of Randolph-Macon College, Virginia. Numerous illustrations. 8vo, half morocco and another copy in cloth (lacking frontispiece). Richmond, n. d.
181. JACKSON (T. J., "Stonewall"). A. L. s., 1 p. 8vo. Nov. 14, 1862. To Col. C. J. Faulkner.
"If agreeable to you I will try and secure your appointment as my senior Adj. Gen. I do not know what the rank is ... but that is the position which has been kept for you,” etc.
182. JAMES (EDWARD W.). The Lower Norfolk County, Virginia Antiquary. Edited by Edward W. James. 5 vols. [all published] in the original 20 Parts, with separate Index to each volume. Together 25 parts, 8vo, original wrappers. SCARCE.
183. JAMES RIVER. Acts of General Assembly, for Clearing and Improving the Navigation of James River. 12mo, sewn.
Richmond: Printed by Thomts Nicolson, n. d. (1793] EXTREMELY RARE. Cited by Swem from the copy in the Library of Congress. No copy in the Virginia State Library.
184. JAMES RIVER AND KANAWHA COMPANY. A Collection of Reports of the James River and Kanawha Company, together with the Proceedings of the Stockholders. 4 vols. 8vo, various bindings.
Richmond, 1830-1855 VERY SCARCE. Comprising: A Collection of all Acts and Parts of Acts of the General Assembly of Virginia, relating to the James River Co. Richmond, 1830; 1st to 11th; 16th to 21st. Annual Reports of the James River and Kanawha Company, with duplicate of the 11th Report, and Reports of the Engineers, etc.
185. JEFFERSON (THOMAS). A Manual of Parliamentary Practice for the Use of the Senate of the United States. 16mo, old sheep.
Washington, 1801 Second Edition. Scarce.
186. Notes on the State of Virginia. Map and two plans. 8vo, original sheep (hinges weak).
Philadelphia, 1801 FIRST HOT-PRESSED EDITION.
187. Notes on the State of Virginia. With an Appendix relative to the Murder of Logan's Family. Engraved portrait by Tanner. 12mo, original sheep (table torn, and pp. stained).
Trenton, 1803 188. [-] Observations upon certain Passages in Mr. Jefferson's Notes on Virginia, which appear to have a tendency to subvert Religion, and establish a False Philosophy. [By Clement C. Moore.] 8vo, original wrappers, uncut.
New York, 1804 189. Reports of Cases determined in the General Court of Virginia, from 1730 to 1740, and from 1768 to 1772.
8vo, half sheep.
Charlottesville, 1829 190. [-] The Life of Thomas Jefferson. By George Tucker, Portrait. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth, uncut.
Philadelphia, 1837 FIRST EDITION.
191. [-] Bibliotheca Jeffersoniana. A List of Books written by or relating to Thomas Jefferson. By Hamilton Bullock Tompkins. 8vo, cloth, leather back (back strip wanting), uncut. One of 350 copies.
New York, 1887 192. The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth. With an Introduction by Dr. Cyrus Adler. 8vo, red morocco. Chicago, n. d.
Photographic reproduction of the Jefferson Bible from the original volume.
193. [-] Memoir, Correspondence and Miscellanies from the Papers of Thomas Jefferson. Edited by Thomas Jefferson Ran. dolph. 4 vols. 8vo, cloth. Charlottesville, 1829; Life of Thomas Jefferson. By Henry S. Randall. 3 vols. 8vo, sheep. New York, 1858. Together 7 vols.
194. Notes on the State of Virginia. Map. Richmond, 1853; Notes on the State of Virginia. Portrait by Gridley. Title damaged. Boston, 1801. One cover missing. 2 vols. 8vo, calf and sheep.
195. [-] Notes on Thomas Jefferson. By a Citizen of Mary. land. Phila., 1885; The Youth of Thomas Jefferson. N. Y. 1854; The Domestic Life of Thomas Jefferson (Randolph). N. Y., 1871; Sketches of the Life, etc. of Thomas Jefferson (Rayner) N. Y. 1832, and others. 13 vols., various sizes and bindings.
196. L. s. (backed with linen), 1 p. 4to. Philadelphia, March 9, 1792. Referring to the Act relative to the election of a President and Vice President of the United States. To the Gov. of the State of Georgia.
197. JOHNSON (REVERDY). A. L. S., 2 pp. 4to, Baltimore, March 28, 1829. To the Hon. Mr. Brand, Secretary of the Navy. Suggesting a name for a vacancy occasioned by the resignation of the Disburser of the public monies.
198. A. L. S., 2 pp. 4to, Senate Chamber, August 5, 1848. To Brantz Mayer, with Envelope. Regarding some documents desired; also, A. L. S., 2 pp. 8vo, Nov. 3, 1861. To Mr. Scott, Asst. Sec. of War. 2 pieces.
199. JOHNSTON (F.). Memorials of Old Virginia Clerks, arranged alphabetically by Counties, with Complete Index of Names, etc., from 1634 to 1888. 12mo, cloth.
Lynchburg, 1888 2 copies. 200. JOHNSTON (WILLIAM PRESTON). The Life of Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston. Illustrated. 8vo, cloth. FIRST EDITION.
New York, 1878 201. JOLLIFFE GENEALOGY. Historical Genealogical, and Biographical Account of the Jolliffe Family of Virginia, 1652 to 1893. Illustrated. 8vo, cloth.
Philadelphia, 1893 202. JONES (JOHN PAUL). Life and Correspondence of John Paul Jones, including his Narrative of the Campaign of the Liman. From original letters and manuscripts in the possession of Miss Janette Taylor. Portrait (time-stained). 8vo, sheep.
New York, 1830 203. JONES (JOSEPH). Letters of Joseph Jones of Virginia. 1777-1787. Small 4to, wrappers, uncut. Washington, 1889
One of 250 copies. Edited by Worthington C. Ford, and a Presentation copy from him to Dr. J. L. Cabell. 204. KEITH (SIR WILLIAM). The History of the British Plantations in America. With a Chronological Account of the most remarkable Things, which happend to the first Adventurers in their several Discoveries of that New World. Part 1. Containing the History of Virginia (all published). With two folding maps. 4to, half calf (hinges weak).
London, 1738 This was the only volume that appeared of this projected series of Colonial Histories. It is an amplification of Beverly's Virginia and brings the story down to 1723. British Museum duplicate, with stamps. 205. KENNEDY (JOHN P.). Memoirs of the Life of William Wirt. Portrait and facsimile. 2 vols. 8vo, cloth. Philadelphia, 1849
FIRST EDITION. 206. ] The Blackwater Chronicle. A Narrative of an Ex pedition into the Land of Canaan, in Randolph County, Virginia. By “The Clerke of Oxenforde." Illustrated. 12mo, cloth. 2 copies.
New York, 1853 FIRST EDITION.
207. KERCHEVAL (SAMUEL). A History of the Valley of Virginia. 12mo, sheep.
Winchester, 1833 FINE COPY OF THE FIRST EDITION. 208. A History of the Valley of Virginia. 8vo, sheep.
Woodstock, Va., 1850 Second Edition, revised and extended by the author.