« IndietroContinua »
(DUKE OF). Driving. Royal 8vo, half blue morocco, gilt top, uncut. LARGE PAPER COPY, one of 250 copies.
35. BEEKMAN (JAMES W.). Address delivered before the Saint Nicholas Society of the City of New York (on the Founders of New York), Dec. 4, 1869. Royal 8vo, original wrappers (a little worn), uncut. Published by the Society, 1870
36. BEHN (MRS. APHRA). Summers. Portrait. 6 vols., 8vo, unopened.
Illustrations. London, 1889
ONE OF 50 COPIES ON HAND-MADE PAPER.
Works. Edited by Montague boards, cloth backs, uncut and London: Heinemann, 1915
37. BELLONI (LUIGI). Usi di Piazza. Consuetudini nella Compera-vendita di Carrozze. Milan, 1902; [also] La Carrozza, nella Storia della Locomozione. Colored frontispiece and numerous very fine half-tones. In one volume, 4to, crushed red levant morocco, handsomely gold tooled back and sides, emblematically ornamented, doublures of olive levant morocco, tooled with small gilt Coaches, moire silk flys, by David. In slip case. Milan, 1901-2
WITH AUTOGRAPH PRESENTATION INSCRIPTION FROM THE AUTHOR ON EACH TITLE. The first work has been inlaid to size.
BEWICK'S MASTERPIECE ON PARCHMENT
38. BEWICK (THOMAS). Engraving of the "Chillingham Bull." Small 4to.
ONE OF SIX COPIES ON PARCHMENT. IT IS SAID THAT BEWICK CON
SIDERED THIS BLOCK HIS MASTERPIECE.
After a few copies on parchment and paper had been struck off, the block was thoughtlessly laid in the sun, with the result that it split beyond repair.
The present copy bears the presentation inscription from Wm. A. Chatto, and is accompanied by two A. L's. s. from J. W. Bell to W. A. Chatto, regarding the print and relating the facts of the printing of the limited number of copies and the destruction of the block. EXTREMELY
39. BIBLIOGRAPHY. Catalogue d'une Collection d'Elzevirs, etc., composant le Cabinet de feu M. de Montaran. 12mo, half morocco, uncut. Paris, 1849
40. Ludewig (Hermann E.). The Literature of American Aboriginal Languages. With additions and corrections by Wm. W. Turner. 8vo, half blue morocco (rubbed). London, 1858
Bibliotheca Mejicana [Ramirez]. Priced in ink. 8vo, half russia (covers loose). London, 1869
Bibliotheca Piscatoria. With Bibliographical Notes and an Appendix. By T. Westwood and T. Satchell. 8vo, cloth, uncut.
43. Index to the English Catalogue of Books, Jan. 1881 to Dec. 1889. 8vo, half morocco. London, 1893
Bibliography of Tennyson (1827-1894 inclusive). Imp. 8vo, cloth, uncut. London, 1896
One of 35 copies on Large Paper.
45. Forman (H. Buxton). The Books of William Morris described with some account of his doings in Literature and in the allied Crafts. Portrait and facsimiles. 8vo, buckram, gilt top, uncut. London, 1897
46. Bibliography of the Works of William Morris. By Temple Scott. 12mo, cloth, uncut. London, 1897
47. 12mo, cloth.
Winship (George Parker). Cabot Bibliography. With an Introductory Essay on the Careers of the Cabots. 8vo, cloth, uncut.
New York, 1900
Illustrated Sporting Books. By J. Herbert Slater.
Auction Prices of American Book-Club Publications, 1857-1901. Small 4to, boards, morocco back, uncut.
Cleveland: Rowfant Club, 1904
One of 125 copies.
Rutherford (Livingston). John Peter Zenger, His Press, His Trial, and a Bibliography of Zenger's Imprints. Portraits and facsimiles. 8vo, buckram, uncut. New York, 1904
One of 325 copies.
51. Illustrated Catalogue De Luxe of the Very Valuable Art Property collected by the late Robert Hoe. Numerous reproductions. Thick 4to, parchment wrappers, uncut.
SCARCE. One of 275 copies.
New York, 1911
52. Colored Plate Books and their Values. Edited by Francis P. Harper. 12mo, cloth. Princeton, 1913
Catalogue of the American Library of the late George. Brinley. 5 Parts, with printed prices. 5 vols., 8vo, wrappers, uncut. Boston, v. d.
Fine copy. Scarce.
The Bibliography of Ruskin (1834-1881). 12mo, cloth.
SOCIETY. Horace. The Odes and Epodes of Horace. Latin text edited by Clement L. Smith. With versions, Paraphrases, and explanatory notes, by eminent scholars, statesmen and poets, Introduction by Archbishop Ireland. 7 vols. in 9 vols. (Also) A Thousand Horatian Quotations. With appreciations (Testimonia) of Horace in Ancient Writers. Selected and Classified by Henry A. Metcalf. One vol. Portrait and plates in two states, one on Japanese paper, and one on plate paper, numerous vignettes, facsimiles of title-pages, etc. Together, 10 vols. Square 8vo, full brown levant morocco, gilt and inlaid leaf sprays, gilt tops, uncut. Boston, 1901-1904
One of 467 copies.
André's Journal; an Authentic Record of the Movements and Engagements of the British Army in America from June, 1777, to November, 1778, as recorded from day to day, by Major John André. Edited by Henry Cabot Lodge. With 2 portraits of André, one etched by Bicknell, proof on India paper, the other engraved on wood by Hopson, proof on Japanese paper, both signed; title in two states, one on vellum, the other on India paper, and 44 facsimile reproductions of original maps, and plans drawn by Major André. 2 vols., royal 8vo, vellum, gilt tops, uncut.
One of 467 copies.
57. - Dibdin (Thomas Frognall). The Bibliomania or BookMadness. History, Symptoms and Cure, of this fatal disease. Introduction by Richard Garnett. With frontispiece to each volume, etched by W. H. W. Bicknell, after original oil paintings by Howard Pyle, made especially for this work, each plate in two states, one a remarque proof on Japanese paper, the other on Holland paper, without remarque. 4 vols., square 8vo, crushed green levant morocco, inlaid and gilt ornaments on sides, gilt tops, uncut (one back faded). Boston, 1903
One of 483 copies.
58. Marat (Jean Paul). Polish letters. Translation from the original unpublished manuscript. Portrait and facsimiles. 2 vols., 8vo, boards, uncut. Boston, 1904
One of 461 copies.
59. Henry the Leper (Der Arme Heinrich). Paraphrases by Dante Gabriel Rossetti. With introduction by William P. Trent. Etched portrait by Bicknell, photogravure plates and facsimile of manuscript. 2 vols., 4to, half vellum, uncut. Boston, 1905
One of 477 copies. Volume 1 is an exact facsimile of the original manuscript never before published.
Jones (John Paul). Letters. Printed from the unpublished originals. Introductory remarks by General Horace Porter and Franklin B. Sanborn. Portrait and facsimile of an autograph letter by Jones. 8vo, half vellum, uncut. Boston, 1905
Edition Limited, printed on Japanese paper.
61. Lamb (Charles). Letters, in which many mutilated works and passages have been restored to their original form. With letters never before published and an Introduction by Henry H. Harper. Etched frontispieces and titles on Japanese paper, portrait of Lamb, Etched by James Fagan, and printed in two states, facsimiles of letters, etc. One vol. folio, half vellum, and 4 vols. 8vo, brown boards. Together 5 vols. uncut. Boston, 1905
One of 453 copies, printed on Dutch hand-made paper.
Thoreau (Henry D.). The First and Last Journeys of Thoreau, lately discovered among unpublished Journals and Manuscripts. Edited by Franklin B. Sanborn. Portrait and facsimiles. 2 vols. 8vo, half calf, uncut. Boston, 1905
One of 489 copies.
63. Thoreau (Henry David). Sir Walter Raleigh. Lately discovered among Thoreau's Unpublished Manuscripts. Introduction by Franklin B. Sanborn. Edited by Henry A. Metcalf. Portrait. 8vo, half calf, uncut. Boston, 1905
One of 489 copies.
64. The Idylls and Epigram of Theocritus, Bion and Moschus. Edited by Henry A. Metcalf. Introduction by W. C. Lawton. Engraved title on Japanese paper by J. A. Wilcox, photogravure and other illustrations. 3 vols. royal 8vo, boards, uncut. Boston, 1905
One of 477 copies. The Greek Text, with the English translation on opposite page.
65. Bryant and Thoreau. Unpublished poems by Bryant, "Musings," by William Cullen Bryant; and "Godfrey of Bologne," by Henry D. Thoreau. Etched and photogravure portraits and facsimiles of both Manuscripts. Small 4to, vellum, uncut. One of 470 copies on vellum.
66. Burns (Robert). The Geddes Burns. Japanese paper, facsimile portrait and autograph. gilt border, uncut.
One of 473 copies. An exact facsimile of the original.
Portrait on 8vo, full calf, Boston, 1907
67. Payne-Shelley Letters. The Romance of Mary W. Shelley, John Howard Payne, and Washington Irving. 2 etched portraits, on Japanese paper. 8vo, half calf, uncut. Boston, 1907 One of 470 copies.
68. The Varick Court Inquiry to Investigate the Implication of Colonel Varick (Arnold's Private Secretary) in the Arnold Treason. Edited by Albert Bushnell Hart. Etched portrait on Japanene paper, by Bicknell and facsimiles of autograph. Royal 8vo, pigskin, gilt top, uncut. Boston, 1907
One of 470 copies.
69. Charles Dickens and Maria Beadnell. Private Correspondence. Edited by George P. Baker. Etched portrait by Bicknell, portraits reproduecd from original sketches, one in colors, facsimiles of letters, etc. Royal 8vo, half vellum, uncut.
One of 493 copies.
70. Dickens (Charles). Speech delivered at Gore House, Kensington, May 10, 1851. Printed from the original Autograph Manuscript. Square 8vo, original blue wrappers, uncut.
Fiske (John). Unpublished Orations. trait on Japanese paper, by Bicknell. 8vo, vellum back, board sides, uncut. Boston, 1909
One of 489 copies.
Keats (John). Unpublished Poems to his Sister Fanny, April 1818. Etched title, with two vignette portraits of Keats and
his Sister, and facsimile of the original manuscript. 8vo, buckram sides, uncut. Boston, 1909
One of 489 copies.
73. Thoreau (Henry D.). Walden. Portrait etched by Bicknell, proof on Japanese paper, title-pages etched by W. F. Hopson, in two states, one a proof on vellum, photogravure, and facsimiles. 2 vols., 8vo, vellum, uncut. Boston, 1909
One of 489 copies.
Davis (John). Travels in the United States of North America, 1798-1902. Edited by John Vance Cheney. 2 vols., 8vo, vellum back, board sides, uncut. Boston, 1910
One of 487 copies.
Dickens (Charles). The Dickens-Kolle Letters. ited by Harry B. Smith. Supplemental to the Letters from Charles Dickens to Maria Beadnell. With 2 etched portraits on Japanese paper, one by Bicknell, facsimile of autograph letter by Dickens. 8vo, half vellum, uncut. Boston, 1910
One of 483 copies.
76. First to Ninth Year Books. Illustrations. 9 vols., 8vo, boards, uncut. Boston, v. d.
77. A set of Final Proof Etchings, with Title, of "The Varick Court of Inquiry." Specially struck off for Mr. Brewster; Prospectus of "The Letters of Charles Lamb," with Title by E. D. French, and etchings; Fourth Annual Banquet; Prospectus of "Walden"; The Function of the Book Club. By Henry H. Harper. As a lot.
78. BIRNBAUM (MARTIN). Catalogue of a Collection of Drawings by Aubrey Beardsley. Introduction by Martin Birnbaum, 1912; Charles Conder. [A biographical sketch.] 1911. 2 pamphlets. 12mo, wrappers.
79. BIRRELL (AUGUSTINE). Men, Women and Books; In the Name of the Bodleian; Obiter Dicta, First and Second Series. Together 4 vols., 12mo, cloth, gilt tops, uncut. New York, 1894
80. BLACKMORE (R. D.). Lorna Doone. Cleveland, 1890; Ave Roma Immortalis, 2 vols. New York, 1899; Elsie Venner (Holmes), Boston, 1886; and others. Together 7 vols. royal 8vo and 12mo, cloth.
81. BLAKE (WILLIAM). Young (Edward). The Complaint and the Consolation; or, Night Thoughts. With the beautiful series of 43 engravings by William Blake. Large folio, full maroon levant morocco, gilt tooling, gilt top, by Sangorski and Sutcliffe. London: Printed by R. Noble, 1797 A FINE COPY OF THE VERY RARE FIRST EDITION.